Prehistoric Something Land #btb

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Jacob Turbo
Tweeter
Tweeter

Prehistoric Something Land #btb

Postby Jacob Turbo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:04 am

Ayy here's a thing :

we need to get back to the basics

woops almost forgot the download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ju8rm5sh0ltgm ... g.zip?dl=0

im very tired

Last edited by Jacob Turbo on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Prehistoric Something Land #btb

Postby Emral » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:27 am

Just like the level you're clearly attempting to reference, I will review this one with the level design of the original SMB3 in mind.

This level has the potential to be pretty close to the original SMB3's way of designing levels. The level is short, has a simple structure and focuses on the giant enemies and structures of land, just like 4-1 in the original SMB3. The only thing I feel it lacks is a secret or two. Any of the pipes in this level or a flight up top with the leaf would've been a neat hiding spot for a little secret, which would've made the level a lot more engaging and give it another layer of depth with little to no effort.

In terms of what this level does, I have noticed some weirdnesses which I struggle to explain for myself. To start out, Luigi is placed on the scene but has to survive a 60 feet drop before he can start running around in the level. There doesn't seem to be any real reason for it. SMB3 levels didn't even have a 2nd player starting position set at all.
There's some places in which I would tweak the NPC placement to be a bit more threatening and to make the NPCs a bit more useful in being obstacles. The first giant goomba could be placed a bit further to the right to pose a threat to players who go for the item blocks. Meanwhile the red paratroopa under the brick could've been placed above the brick in an attempt to avoid awkward paratroopa bonking situations. Those are all very minor nitpicks though.
Speaking of minor nitpicks, I want to address two more things: Firstly, you didn't extend the pipes outside of the section, and secondly, you forgot to import a giant sprite for the piranha plants, making them poke out of the giant pipes look very awkward. I would've preferred larger plants or smaller pipes holding them.

Overall, a pretty good level. But since you requested me to move it to the bin, it's going there.

CynicHost
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Flair: heck

Postby CynicHost » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:35 am

10/10 would nostalgia again

BTB
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby BTB » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:38 am

No one should be rude enough to judge Mario. I think this was a great prehistoric level for sure. It's definitely a BIG adjustment from the modern day Mario levels. Glad to see that even though the fakers try to silence us, we can still make levels and stay strong! I don't really have any complaints about this level at all, keep up the good work!

Ace
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Ace » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:10 am

SnifitGuy wrote:#unofficialreviewofrandomness
Man, this level...I don't know where to place it tbh. I mean, yeah, it's short and all, but it's actually quality compared to the other levels here in the trashcan. It's weird because it's awkwardly placed in terms of quality, almost like it's too good to be trash-can but not quite "average". I think this level, since there is nothing genuinely wrong with it, receives maybe a 4 from me, but that's only for being too short. Otherwise, I really can't complain; graphics are fine, music is fine, everything is just fine.
Since when is a level supposed to be long?

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:21 pm

Enjl wrote:Overall, a pretty good level. But since you requested me to move it to the bin, it's going there.
OP has been edited with the respective line being removed, so it should be re-evaluated I guess.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:40 pm

Thanks for letting me know! Moved to the appropriate subforum now.

Return to “Pretty Good”