A legitimate request towards the staff

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Cedur » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:37 am

JupiHornet wrote:
PixelPest wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:Why not feature the levels that win unofficial contests, like the ones The Thwomp King hosts? Then they'll actually have a meaning :P
I'm sorry, but I think that isn't a good idea at all. This means that everything rests on the success of those contests--the judges, the host, and the submissions. Also, not everyone enters them and sometimes the winning entries, which may have only beat 1-3 other entries to win, aren't that great anyway
I don't mean to ONLY feature the unofficial contest winners. Of course other levels would also have a chance :P
In other words that just means that you all levels in existence would be candidates, not only stray portal levels.

Glad to see changes being discussed.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:46 am

Supershroom wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:
PixelPest wrote: I'm sorry, but I think that isn't a good idea at all. This means that everything rests on the success of those contests--the judges, the host, and the submissions. Also, not everyone enters them and sometimes the winning entries, which may have only beat 1-3 other entries to win, aren't that great anyway
I don't mean to ONLY feature the unofficial contest winners. Of course other levels would also have a chance :P
In other words that just means that you all levels in existence would be candidates, not only stray portal levels.

Glad to see changes being discussed.
What do you mean?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:48 am

I think if we're doing featured levels it should be required that they be posted in the Levels forum, not just scattered around everywhere

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:09 pm

PixelPest wrote:I think if we're doing featured levels it should be required that they be posted in the Levels forum, not just scattered around everywhere
Well yeah, obviously. I was just also suggesting that we feature unofficial contest levels, but I see why that's a bad idea.

Kyo Saito
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Kyo Saito » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Enjl wrote:
Kyo Saito wrote:Second, you completely missed my explanation of how it would work:
Kyo Saito wrote:There is no issue with "the levels that deserve to be featured may not necessarily be the best scoring levels" because it's simple; if the level was really deserving to be featured, the Level Judges would give it a good score.
CC12. Rinkas;Tale. Technically impressive, frequently used to feature lua technology. 44th place.
Levels which "play it safe" tend to get the high scores. However I feel like featuring clever or technically impressive levels way more interesting. In that sense, the levels that deserve to be featured may not necessarily be the best scoring levels.
But in retrospect, that's the problem with the judges voting in a "play it safe" level. Another issue with Rinkas;Tale is that it's directly related to Undertale, and that can pose a problem to some. I will agree that impressive levels such as that should be featured, but they more or less gain their own cult following by themselves without getting featured. I still say it would be up to the judges on what levels get featured, because if they feel a level really deserves to be featured, then they would feature it.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:23 pm

The point that not always the highest scoring level will be featured stays.

Kyo Saito
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Kyo Saito » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:49 am

Enjl wrote:The point that not always the highest scoring level will be featured stays.
When was that point even made in the first place, though? As I have said countless times before, if a level truly was deserving of being featured, it would garner a higher score from the judges. Is this not true?

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 am

What if we just featured good levels after they get positive feedback from the community?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:13 am

AeroMatter wrote:What if we just featured good levels after they get positive feedback from the community?
Because not all levels will get a lot of feedback and it would be better to help give users a chance who aren't so popular

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 am

Should there be some way for users to still be able to get reviews? Like could there be a Feedback Request thread or something of that sort where users can post asking for a review of one of their levels max. at a time, and then someone will give them some pointers (without the ten-score review format)? Maybe we could bring back the idea (I think it was Marina that had it a while back) of a seal of approval in terms of reviewing skills and then one of those people could fulfil a request? If that would occur, I think there should still be the core Level Judges group who moderate Levels, Episodes, and Projects (who can also fulfil feedback requests) and who decides on Featured Levels, while the other thing can just maybe be a seal (maybe like the medals) underneath their username

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Whatever then they won't be featured if they don't even get attention.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:20 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Whatever then they won't be featured if they don't even get attention.
I have no idea what you're referring to saying this

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:28 pm

PixelPest wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:Whatever then they won't be featured if they don't even get attention.
I have no idea what you're referring to saying this
PixelPest wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:What if we just featured good levels after they get positive feedback from the community?
Because not all levels will get a lot of feedback and it would be better to help give users a chance who aren't so popular

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:07 pm

PixelPest wrote:Should there be some way for users to still be able to get reviews? Like could there be a Feedback Request thread or something of that sort where users can post asking for a review of one of their levels max. at a time, and then someone will give them some pointers (without the ten-score review format)? Maybe we could bring back the idea (I think it was Marina that had it a while back) of a seal of approval in terms of reviewing skills and then one of those people could fulfil a request? If that would occur, I think there should still be the core Level Judges group who moderate Levels, Episodes, and Projects (who can also fulfil feedback requests) and who decides on Featured Levels, while the other thing can just maybe be a seal (maybe like the medals) underneath their username
I like this idea. Reviews are still important for people to improve.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”