Wario's New Woods

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
desxinplate
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Wario's New Woods

Postby desxinplate » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:08 pm

I had some spare time so I made a level. Nothing too special about it :)

Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
GFX packs used:
Valterri's Gfx pack
Community Gfx pack
(...and Super Mario Star Expedition :P )

Download:

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: Wario's New Woods

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:26 pm

Alright, I LOVE the gfx for this level, they are amazing! And the level itself, it's great! It's funny, not too long, and creative! Good job!
Video:
Spoiler: show

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Hey, if someone posted a video before me, what's to stop me from posting another one of me playing it? Here you go:

desxinplate
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby desxinplate » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:28 pm

I'm glad you guys liked my level, it was fun making it because I never made a forest level and a castle level in one (even if the castle part was a little small!)

The Thwomp King
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish

Postby The Thwomp King » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:59 pm

Alrighty your review is here!

I want to start off by saying you set up a really nice flow with the level. What I mean by that is the music and informal language of the npcs complements one another really well. This isn't Mario venturing through a dangerous forest to defeat an old foe, this Mario casually going through a forest with the mindset of, "Okay I gotta do the usual beat the crap out of Wario and bring my lady friend back home. What else is new?" I hardly ever see informal language with npcs go well in a level, so I'm really impressed you pushed that throughout the whole level. Anyway the informal atmosphere is clearly represented throughout the level itself too thanks to the music, bgos, and blocks further blending together to make this great environment for Mario to venture through. The graphics you use for the level are chosen wisely, but the smb1 blocks are a sore thumb to the environment. I recommend going using smb3 or smw since most of the other graphics are from those two games.

So as far as gameplay goes, you do a great job with the first half of the level. I thoroughly enjoyed playing through the level. I never once felt cheated when I got hurt, and I thought it was clever after the birdo fight when you add timing when descending downwards with spawning spinies. I want to note that with the birdo fight you forgot to add the death effect for the fireball she/he spews out of their mouth as it turns back to an egg when the goomba hits it. The wait time is also a little too long as well, so quicker players will have their patience tested here. So overall the first half is excellent; smooth gameplay, great npcs placement, fun experience.

With the second half the background with the light blue sky wasn't blending in as cleanly as I hoped it would've. I think making the blue an orange would be better, but it's not a terrible mistake or anything. The falling platforms are a nice starting gimmick, but I could also see how players could easily overlook the differences when they're the same color. Another issue is you force the player to rush through past the two volcano lotuses. If the player takes their time then they're trapped with having to perfectly time a spin jump over the volcano lotus without getting hurt so I'd like to recommend either getting rid of the lotus altogether or add a couple platforms above the platform before the lotus to ensure the player can safely get over without forcing a hit. You have the player cut it close with the dry bones talking and coming up the stairs. I was fortunate to narrowly escape the hit each time I played the level, but I doubt everyone would be able to make it past that easily; you'll need to add more space so the player doesn't feel trapped. I'm not a fan of the different death effects of the dry bones, but there's not much you can do with that when replacing npcs for different kinds of dry bones unless you got rid of the regular ones in there. While the atmosphere was great in the forest portion of the level, you sadly disturb the flow with the suspenseful music in the castle. This is Wario's castle, I don't see how this music fits his own palace. The castle itself was relatively short with a little touch of dry bone spam and a little bit tight on space. The transition you have in the beginning with parts of the forest graphics fading off is a nice touch though. Where did the coins go to in the castle as well? There should be some in here, especially for a greedy lad like Wario. Lastly, the Wario boss fight was well done by replacing mouser and ludwig with Wario and you have transition run smoothly too. As I do think the first half of the level is really well done, I suggest polishing up the second half as I mentioned in this. You have good level now, so fixing things up will definitely improve this level.

6/10 Moved to Pretty Good

Return to “Pretty Good”