I think it should happen now

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Re: I think it should happen now

Postby PixelPest » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:39 pm

Nien wrote:
PixelPest wrote:I don't think we need a forum just for contests. We really don't need to promote the making of unofficial contests since first of all, a large number of them are awful (poor rules, not always predetermined or even good judge panels, etc.), and second of all, there's a good chance more contests will be flops, since there's a good chance that people would spread out more and each contest would get less activity
you mean like the kaizo contest?
How was that a flop by any means? Even though there were issues with the rules that had to be brought to my attention, I received around 10 submissions, some of them great levels. I'd say a flop being a contest that gets very few entries, has a poor and/or limited judge panel, or has a really messed up rule set or other issues regarding its set-up. What does everyone have against that contest anyway?

MistakesWereMade
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MistakesWereMade » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:57 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Nien wrote:
PixelPest wrote:I don't think we need a forum just for contests. We really don't need to promote the making of unofficial contests since first of all, a large number of them are awful (poor rules, not always predetermined or even good judge panels, etc.), and second of all, there's a good chance more contests will be flops, since there's a good chance that people would spread out more and each contest would get less activity
you mean like the kaizo contest?
How was that a flop by any means? Even though there were issues with the rules that had to be brought to my attention, I received around 10 submissions, some of them great levels. I'd say a flop being a contest that gets very few entries, has a poor and/or limited judge panel, or has a really messed up rule set or other issues regarding its set-up. What does everyone have against that contest anyway?
Alright, that was definitely a flop. First off, the first like 5 pages of the contest thread are complaints of the rules AND the judges being shit. And let's check your qualifications for a flop:

-Few entries: 10 isn't exactly a ginormous number. Check
-Poor/limited judge panel, everyone was saying that mivixion's judging capabilities were going to be complete and utter shit. Check.
-Messed up rule set. The first 5 pages of your contest have people saying that your rules are ambiguous as fuck. Check

"What does everyone have against that contest anyway?" If a majority of people have something against a contest, that means it's a flop, you don't need to be a fucking scientist to know that.

MacheTheFerret
Phanto
Phanto
Pronouns: she/her

Postby MacheTheFerret » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:08 am

I second this proposal of a contest subforum. Having my thread on SMBX streams get lost in the flood of fucking awful excuses for contests is complete bullshit.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:29 pm

Nien wrote:
So what if the rules were bad, it was my first contest and people were willing to help to resolve the issues. Uncheck. Compared to other unofficial contests, which is what I was referring to, 10 is a lot; most other unofficial contests, including The Thwomp King's, usual receive much less. Uncheck. Mivixion's reviews turned out to be quite well done. Yes, glitch4's sucked but I had no more time or patience to try to find another judge (which would have been really difficult). Uncheck. Science. Boom

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:50 pm

you really showed him what's what

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:21 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Nien wrote:
So what if the rules were bad, it was my first contest and people were willing to help to resolve the issues. Uncheck. Compared to other unofficial contests, which is what I was referring to, 10 is a lot; most other unofficial contests, including The Thwomp King's, usual receive much less. Uncheck. Mivixion's reviews turned out to be quite well done. Yes, glitch4's sucked but I had no more time or patience to try to find another judge (which would have been really difficult). Uncheck. Science. Boom
Size don't matter - the judges do. You're entirely alone on Mivixion's judging skills, and shittalking another level judge in public is a real low blow. That's coming from me.

And just to be a little shit even more, I'll point out that you're alone on this.
There's a FORMIDABLE amount of contests in the general forum, enough to have its own forum. I wouldn't doubt it would be more popular than the Roleplaying & Fanfiction forum anyway. If you looked at every other Thwomp King thread, they're at least 4 pages. He hosts them regularly. Seeing a decent user like him have albeit small but well-enough ran contests (arguably ran better than the kaizo contest, which was twice as big as any of his) will encourage others to try themselves. Hell, seeing contests have their own forums, more users may join them since they have a light shone on them.

I don't see why you're so intent on keeping anything on this site to a certain standard you think Joey wants it as. You don't want the forums to be filled with newbie-made, poorly done shit when the levels forum is almost nothing but that, and it's moderated by you. Show a little decency and get your head out of the clouds so you'll notice how messy the General forum actually is, and how it needs another subforum.

NightKawata
Spike
Spike

Postby NightKawata » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:34 pm

TNTtimelord wrote:fucking destroys pixelpest

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:54 pm

NightKawata wrote:
TNTtimelord wrote:fucking destroys pixelpest

Say what you want but I disagree with TNTtimelord in all aspects of his post

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:16 pm

I think this is a good idea. Making contest guidelines a sticky in that subforum would also help.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

All right guys. I've watched you harass PixelPest over nothing for long enough. He never abused power, you made that up. His Kaizo contest wasn't a commercial success but he graciously ran it till the end and was even content with the 10 levels that he got. This is hardly a point to use as an ad hominem attack. If you're really trying to find something to bash someone about and this is the best you can do, you should honestly reconsider whether you're getting on the ass of the right person. I can't wrap my head around how such a contained person (notice how he's always responded to your harassment politely) can get such a huge amount of disrespect just over supporting someone they don't agree with. I'm utterly disgusted by this behaviour and will not watch it continue for one more second. And just because someone supports someone doesn't automatically mean they're doing it entirely to please them. That's nonsense. You're welcome to hold different opinions but you may not attack people who do not agree with you. If I see this happen again, I will take further action.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:21 pm

Just so there's a bit of closure on the topic at hand, I think a better course of action would be to simply restrict contest creation rather than have creation of lower-quality contests only moved somewhere else. I believe PixelPest proposed this to us a while ago.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”