Cntrhammer

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
litchh
Eerie
Eerie

Cntrhammer

Postby litchh » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:20 pm

Created for Underground Level Contest.
This is crossover version of pwnhammer level. Level includes lots of NPCs from various games relevant to MKF.
Despite mechdragon's bias, at least his claim about Shroom, which is tedious to get being small, was fair. So I did few holes in last brick wall.
I also added missed shadow tiles.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Video playthrough:
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/fx15s ... hammer.zip

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Cntrhammer

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:12 pm

I love that SMB3 Mario. But nothing else.

smartiemartie7
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby smartiemartie7 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:25 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:I love that SMB3 Mario. But nothing else.
really?
I prefer the Super mario allstars smb2 mario, because of his yellow megaman pellet hand.

The level is not that bad btw

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:48 pm

I found this level to be pretty unfair, even at the billygun section... That's not a good thing
Video:

litchh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby litchh » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:52 am

FanofSMBX wrote:I love that SMB3 Mario. But nothing else.
Thanks for your thoughtful feedback.
Matt_The_Slime wrote:I found this level to be pretty unfair, even at the billygun section... That's not a good thing
Video:
I have been watched your video & didn't see anything unfair. Really, what's the problem here?

RoundPiplup
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Postby RoundPiplup » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:41 am

I think that the most unfair part out of the entire level would be the generating NPCs on top of the screen(those blue stuff idk). You should indicate where they will spawn.

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:04 pm

RoundPiplup wrote:I think that the most unfair part out of the entire level would be the generating NPCs on top of the screen(those blue stuff idk). You should indicate where they will spawn.
It's that, and some enemy spam. Also, that final boos comes out of nowhere, so if you don't know that its there, you are almost bound to get hit

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:34 pm

Review of Cntrhammer

Level Design and Gameplay (weighed 70%): 2.7/10
This level wasn't very fun to play. It was overall very slow, long, and the sheer number of NPCs was just too much. The first section was really bland and lacked coins and any real decorations. It wasn't very appealing and was very cramped, especially towards the beginning. There was also a pipe (that only had the top piece) that the player could use to exit the level about 30 seconds in which didn't make sense. The brief transition to a Zelda-style area for about the length of two screens was very sudden and sadly uneventful. A sudden change in style was kind of interesting, but the section was flat and too short to be worth the additional style change, making it look messy. Furthermore, there were a few too many NPCs in that area as well. The change from there to the sewer seemed to transition a little better, but still didn't really make too much sense. Although the decoration in this section was a bit better and the overall feel of the sewer was pretty good, it was another area that was just too short to really serve any purpose. It also lacked good coin and NPC placement/variety. The transition back to SMB underground was okay, but again was just awkward in its making and concept. The checkpoint in this level was put in a good place, however everything after this section was just pure madness. The amount of NPC spam, clutter, and the lack of coins and power-ups was overwhelming even with a Billy Gun. The area with random NPCs spawning out of nowhere from the top of the screen was also nonsensical and just too much to handle. The Wart reskin as a boss at the end seemed kind of redundant as well with the Billy Gun. You could just kill all of the spammy NPCs surrounding it and then it only took a matter of seconds to kill it. Kind of disappointing and too fast, especially with a Billy Gun at the player's disposal.

Graphics and Sounds (weighed 30%): 3.5/10
As I mentioned above, a lot of elements from different games were mixed into this level that made it seem really messy. Sometimes the small areas would have only NPCs and other elements from a single game before it moved on to the next idea, however towards the end this level seemed to lose all concepts of aesthetics. It mixed so many styles that it looked very unnappealing. The styles used did not mix well together. I also didn't really like the musical choice, since the overdriven-rock SMB underground theme just droned on and on for too long, even when it could have been changed at a few points that it would have made sense to do so. Although it did somewhat fit the overall tone and attitude of the level, it was just too much.

Overall: 2.94/10 (The Trash Can)

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Wanted to give this a shot due to the premise. Sadly forgot about it until it got raised from the dead today. Here are my thoughts:
-The first section is completely forgettable. It doesn't really do anything for the level by introducing recognizable patterns from SMB1 and a pipe which transports you out of the level in case you already lost your powerup.
-I love the transitions between the areas. Especially those going over into the sewer area are very nice. I like your use of green switch goomba in the second section.
-The zelda spike thing being a thwomp could've been conveyed better. The mechanic doesn't translate well from top-down to sidescroller imo
-At the midpoint is where the level starts. This is what I was promised. Billy gun action! And for the most part, it's done rather well. However
-you gotta move a bit slow because of quite spammy and unintelligent NPC placement. You WANT to go fast, but the three mushrooms found in this section total don't allow you to.
-Autobomb fire hitbox is evil.
-Music choice was excellent. Worked well with the crossover theme.
-The boss wasn't really necessary. I guess it ties in with the plot you toss at the player in the 2nd half? But why not confront the player with it from the beginning of the level? Having the troops appear at the midpoint out of nowhere felt kinda awkward.

Overall a pretty fun level. My main concern is the aforementioned unintelligent NPC placement which kills the pace in some areas. The variety in challenge provided was neat, though.

I vote for a move to Pretty Good. Dunno how we do stuff when a level has multiple reviews.
Apparently it's the most represented category and if there's a draw the better one? Moved to pretty good.

Return to “Pretty Good”