Fifty Shades of Grey (CC11, 11th place, 8.09/10)

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Fifty Shades of Grey (CC11, 11th place, 8.09/10)

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:22 pm

This level took ages to make. Nearly a whole year. I tested this over 100 times. I raged at points where I had to completely redesign sections. It's completely grey. It's spooky. Ghosts are everywhere as you explore. There is also an awesome gimmick involved in it. I present to you...

Fifty Shades of Grey (My level for CC11, 11th place)

Now before we begin, let's give you a taste of what the level looks like:
Spoiler: show
And review time:
Spoiler: show
Bomber57 (8.0/10)
To be honest I was scared on what I would see within when I opened the level file, but it just turned out to be a grayscale spooky ghost level. A pretty good one. The grayscale works pretty nicely, though sometimes it could be hard to tell the difference between the grabbable vines and the BGO ones. The level introduced a unique concept where friendly boos are attached to platforms, and you manipulate the boos' movement patterns to get you where you wanted. Though, it was rather annoying to deal with in a few areas, especially when you had to move the platform upward. The level designer was thoughtful enough to place signs that give the player tips, though the constant reminders felt like hand-holding. The event at the end where you are launched out of a pipe looked pretty nice. Also, the skeleton graphics look really out of place. Like, they're just really bad.
bossedit8 (9.25/10)
Ohh... what a nice ghostly type level in a forest and then later in a ghost house! I really like the whole design, secrets and the gimmick in this level like the boo traveling with blocks (attach to layer stuff) in order to get further on but my problem is that once they merge it into a regular block while standong on them they can crush you unfairly. I do like that everything is gray with actual different shapes of gray as of how they represent like fire and ice flowers are different for example. There were however parts in this level that you can easily grind up for 1UPs at the interior part of the level (ghost house) due to these enemies never despawn once you're doing this correctly (multiple keys at the checkpoint area or somewhere else without even a key) and wait until you get a lot of them on the screen and chain reaction way to go! There's a small boss in this level and what do you have to do? Kill the wave of boos with your own key. 3 waves to go. I really like the whole variety in this level including in a great length aswell for a ghostly type area. At the end, pressing that switch makes an awesome effect up till the end where the star is.
Chad (9.0/10)
I'm glad this is just a pun on the color. This is a pretty impressive level, though. The Boo-controlled blocks are pretty creative, and require you to act and think differently than most gimmicks while still being completely intuitive. You use them all throughout the level too, which really keeps them consistent. The key-hunting, elevator, and propeller block descent sections are a lot of fun and nicely designed as well, which give the level a lot of variety. The sudden changes to things as you got near them give a lot of spice to the presentation, the miniboss is a neat addition, and the cannon cinematic at the end was very flashy. This level has a lot of ideas and puts them to work really well. The core design is pretty good, and contains a moderate enough difficulty to keep things enjoyable. The only thing I don't really like is that the tile placement in the forest sections feels overly jagged and messy. It's highly functional, but a little odd visually, although that's a minor gripe. It looks better inside the ghost house where it's very tunnel-like, surrounded by blackness to make the path distinct, and still maintains a fairly detailed and decorated layout.
Quill (7.2/10)
The boo blocks were surprisingly complex and I think they added a lot of charm to the level, though sometimes they could be a pain to work with. The level design overall was pretty good and the boo block gimmick helped to reinforce that at times, so good job! The boo battle with the key was random and I'm not sure if it was entirely needed, but it was there. The explosion at the end where Mario was sent flying was adorable.
Valtteri (7.0/10)
This is a pretty great ghost house! It has puzzles but not too hard ones. It has this Boo platform gimmick that works surprisingly well. The level also looks pretty good. Except the unclimbable SMB2 vines are still wrong. The key has an incorrect mask. You can see a transcluent square over it.
Download Fifty Shades of Grey! (not the movie, the level)
Last edited by HeroLinik on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey (CC11, 11th place)

Postby h2643 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:30 pm

looks interesting, definitely going to play this sometime!

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey (CC11, 11th place, 8.09/10)

Postby Marina » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:39 pm

That are hardly 50 different shades of grey.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Ugh such a boring colour scheme.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:40 pm

What happened to the name I gave you and you said you were gonna use?

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:42 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:What happened to the name I gave you and you said you were gonna use?
I was debating whether to use it or not. I decided to stick with the original one because it rang off better, in my opinion (The original name I gave it was "Halloween comes early" but I decided to change it after Fifty Shades of Grey (the movie) was released).

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:29 pm

"FIFTY SHADES OF GREY" made by Linik

REVIEW:

LEVEL DESIGN: 9.5/10

Nice level from you! As you said the level's title, it has all 50 shades of grey: Slate Gray, Silver, Black Silver etc. But once I see a lot, I became bored. The level designers doesn't use gray in their level pretty much. But that was great! You used with a great way. Especially the Ghost House part. The mini-boss of Boos was a nice point for describing the key's uses. Because anybody who doesn't play Mario might not know why he/she can use the key. But I died in the elevator part so I have no clue what is next... I'll learn it when ToB10 releases. Good Job Linik!

GRAPHICS & MUSIC: 10/10

Graphics of boredom and gloominess... Nice graphics! And the music didn't fit very much but a music is a music, right?

TOTAL: 9.75/10 (Ghosts are scary for Luigi but he has the Poltergust... :?:

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Suckerman7 GM wrote:"FIFTY SHADES OF GREY" made by Linik

REVIEW:

GRAPHICS & MUSIC: 10/10

Graphics of boredom and gloominess... Nice graphics! And the music didn't fit very much but a music is a music, right?
that doesn't sound like 10/10 to me.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:37 pm

Linik wrote:
zlakerboy357 wrote:What happened to the name I gave you and you said you were gonna use?
I was debating whether to use it or not. I decided to stick with the original one because it rang off better, in my opinion (The original name I gave it was "Halloween comes early" but I decided to change it after Fifty Shades of Grey (the movie) was released).
The other name sounds a lot better imo.

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:37 am

The name is pretty disturbing.
Well, about the level itself, this is actually pretty good for a monochrome level. I think it's my 3rd favourite that I've played (not that I've played much but most of them were good).

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:38 am

This reminds me of another contest level that had the same monochrome graphics (monochrome smw woods)
Does any of you remember it?
It had a shitton of sawblades

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:49 am

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:This reminds me of another contest level that had the same monochrome graphics (monochrome smw woods)
You're talking about sezixor's CC7 submission.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:18 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:
Darkonius Mavakar wrote:This reminds me of another contest level that had the same monochrome graphics (monochrome smw woods)
You're talking about sezixor's CC7 submission.
Sepulchral Sawblade Cemetery?
I originally based the level off that when I started work on it but when I brought in the Boo block gimmick the level started taking off in a new direction and was no longer a clone of sezixor's level. The ghost house part was my idea and I made the graphics in that part monochrome. I would personally consider my level a spiritual sequel to sezixor's level.

ELY_M
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ELY_M » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:24 pm

your download link is dead. can you please reupload it again and update your download link.

Thank you

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:46 am

ELY_M wrote:your download link is dead. can you please reupload it again and update your download link.

Thank you
Link has been fixed.

Luigi_Is_Awesome
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Luigi_Is_Awesome » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:23 am

Awesome Level!

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:48 am

Luigi_Is_Awesome wrote:Awesome Level!
You must make more elaborate posts than this. You did this in a bunch of other topics, too. Please stop. Also, do not reply to a topic two times in a row (double posting), like you did in a couple topics. I removed them.

Return to “The Best”