My SVLC Level (14th Place, Hot Hot Volcano)

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Circle Guy
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

My SVLC Level (14th Place, Hot Hot Volcano)

Postby Circle Guy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:18 pm

Well. Here's my contest level:
Screenshawt
Spoiler: show
Scores (find the odd one out)
Spoiler: show
Bossedit8 - 6.75
Volcano cave based level with moving lava that goes up and down. Also random clouds in caves... seems an odd coice instead of bridge pieces. I do like the pipes holding the lava, it's pretty neat. Other than that, it's ok. There are like... a lot of coins in this level. Enemy placements were alright and also the power ups but the level itself was kinda short but well that's how the older Nintendo levels are so it's not too bad... at least it could of done more than that as of now like secrets or so.

Wraith Adamknight - 2.00
Not a bad level, but its graphical consistency was just bad. Grass and wood in a cave full of lava…just..why?! Clearly the lava was the gimmick and difficulty factor for this level, but it did little to do anything to this level other than make the player wait constantly. Overall, a lot of work is necessary to improve this level.

Zipper - 8.10
Damn, for something so frighteningly standard looking, this was really cool. There's a single overarching threat over the entire level, and the level compensates for it by giving you different ways to avoid it. Whether by jumping, dodging, or using rising platforms. I also like the idea of using the lava as a way to ELIMINATE threats, as shown by some koopas and a lot of thwomps that you can get rid of. If I may nitpick a bit though, the entire experience felt a little...claustrophobic. Having half a screen to manuever for most of the level really limits the amount of creative platforming you can put out. Perhaps lava moving in different directions would let you use more room?

Chad - 7.00
I don't see the lava tides gimmick used like this much, and it's pretty well organized in this level. The construction is built nicely around the precise points at which the lava stops and gives the player plenty of space to make solid judgments about when to go next. Each obstacle's slightly different from the last, so a good variety is created in the experience. NPC pipes are put to good use as platforms carried by the lava, too. It's decently challenging, but each part is clearly conveyed and the length is reasonably concise.

ElTipsta - 7.00
A nice volcano level with a rising/falling lava gimmick. I like the usage of the pipes on the lava so they rise and fall with the lava. Made the second half a lot easier. This was also nice and fair. Not too much else to say tbh. Good job.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4JyIY ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Circle Guy on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Re: My SVLC Level (14th Place, Hot Hot Volcano)

Postby h2643 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:22 pm

Interesting...

Circle Guy
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Circle Guy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:43 pm

wait why did this get moved without a review?

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:45 pm

Circle Guy wrote:wait why did this get moved without a review?
http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... 32&t=13416

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:12 am

That reminds me I just realised that levels of others were moved too, including mine. I guess that's how it works.

Return to “Pretty Good”