Icy Slopes

Levels posted here need a lot of work before they're ready to be played.
lighthouse64
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Icy Slopes

Postby lighthouse64 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:30 pm

This level is full of slopes and items. Hope you have fun (Or get frustrated :p) trying to beat this.

Screenie
Spoiler: show
Download
http://www.mediafire.com/download/igb3k ... _hills.zip

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: Icy Slopes

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:45 am

OK, so I played this level through, and I'm ready to give a review on it.

Well to be honest, when I read the opening messages I thought I was in for a thrill ride, but this level is far from it. If there's one word to describe it, there is: hellish, almost bordering on kaizo. The level doesn't even fit together like a proper level, with ideas being strewn all over the place, ranging from sliding down slopes, then jumping on projectile NPCs, followed by climbing vines. What's more, it's very unfair to the player. This ranges from very unfair enemy placements placed for no reason except to mess with the player, like the Spiny Eggs, and often the player is given no room to react, often leading to cheap deaths, to the ice physics, which don't help with the level either, only making it harder than it should be. A lot of this level seems to focus on the premise of "how many enemies can I fit on a single screen?" and many screens are full of spammed enemies as a result, like five chasing Koopa Paratroopas near the end of the level. There is also one random Dragon Coin in the level that's there for no reason (there are usually 5 in a level) and with it there the player would expect to find four more, except there aren't any, so I would remove it. Also, cut down on the enemy spam.

However, the NPC placements is not the only reason the level is bad. The atmosphere and design aren't good either - it's ridiculously bland. The tileset you used doesn't seem to be helping things, and there are no background objects used at all in the level. This makes the level look barren, which isn't a good sign, and the custom Goombas look really ugly, and they're missing their death effect. The blue SMB2 vines are missing the tops, so they appear to cut off randomly. The design can tell another tale. At one point at the start of the level there is a hidden pipe, and the player isn't made aware of it aside from the fact they're standing on invisible ground, and may assume they're stuck there - it should be made more obvious there is a pipe down there. Also, while the slopes are the main focus of the level, they weren't executed very well, because sliding down them often leads to death, usually because the player is given little time to react because they're sliding so fast. It also isn't made apparent that you can go through the darker parts of the tileset because the edges blend in with the rest of the tileset.

Overall, my final verdict for this level is:

Final verdict: 2/10 (Terrible)
Last edited by PixelPest on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Approved...

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:57 am

This drmario1 tier. You managed to do everything wrong as if you set out to make an annoying, tedious, and unfun level. This isn't a good level by any measure and you should think before you post your next one. As Ii've told SomeRandomGuy, play more levels before you post more levels to see what's good and what's bad so your score can improve.

dolphin/10 - needs serious work

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:57 pm

Anyway, video playthrough made:

Return to “The Trash Can”