SMW2 World 2-7 "Koopa Cove"

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Alligator Rice
Rex
Rex

SMW2 World 2-7 "Koopa Cove"

Postby Alligator Rice » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:39 pm

So I have a game in the works, the graphics are strictly SMW based, and I'm probably about 30% complete. Here is a level I randomly picked out of World 2, so please by all means criticize the level. Tell me what you think needs improvements, or if you think it's any good. Much appreciated!

Screenshot:
http://imgur.com/OJa0Ium

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/68xzh7nbycwd8ov
Last edited by Alligator Rice on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowLabrys101
Bit
Bit

Re: SMW2 World 2-7 "Koopa Cove"

Postby ShadowLabrys101 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Can't you post screenshots? It's better too see a preview like that.

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Postby TDK » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Alligator Rice wrote:So I have a game in the works, the graphics are strictly SMW based, and I'm probably about 30% complete. Here is a level I randomly picked out of World 2, so please by all means criticize the level. Tell me what you think needs improvements, or if you think it's any good. Much appreciated!

Here's the download link...

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/js2c2edwdxj9n/TEST
You should put the levels in a zip folder, so it's easier to download.

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:29 pm

ShadowLabrys101 wrote:Can't you post screenshots? It's better too see a preview like that.
The guy is brand new to the forum, please treat them with some respect. Not everyone reads the rules...despite it being required. Ironically, please don't break them while criticizing someone too.

ShadowLabrys101
Bit
Bit

Postby ShadowLabrys101 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:19 pm

as303298 wrote:
ShadowLabrys101 wrote:Can't you post screenshots? It's better too see a preview like that.
The guy is brand new to the forum, please treat them with some respect. Not everyone reads the rules...despite it being required. Ironically, please don't break them while criticizing someone too.
Ok, I'm sorry. I was reminding him to post screenshots of the level.

TDK
Foo
Foo

Postby TDK » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:34 pm

This is a good water level. However, there's no indication that the hammer bro can't get hit from below (unlike SMW), so the player might not know this and get hurt. Also the music file has the wrong name.
Video:

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:06 pm

The level seems a bit empty. It could use some more enemies in the above ground sections, and what not. Everything else is pretty much flawless though, and you did a wonderful job designing the level. Not easy to do with water levels!

Alligator Rice
Rex
Rex

Postby Alligator Rice » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:20 pm

TheDinoKing432 wrote:This is a good water level. However, there's no indication that the hammer bro can't get hit from below (unlike SMW), so the player might not know this and get hurt. Also the music file has the wrong name.
Video:
Do you mind sending me a link to the Overworld music? I've been looking for that specific one. Also thank you very much for the criticism!
AeroMatter wrote:The level seems a bit empty. It could use some more enemies in the above ground sections, and what not. Everything else is pretty much flawless though, and you did a wonderful job designing the level. Not easy to do with water levels!
I'll be sure to add more enemies. I really appreciate the criticism! If you guys are willing, I could let you test out the "beta" of the full game (I'm halfway through World 3). No pressure though.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Please don't double post. Use the edit button instead.

TDK
Foo
Foo

Postby TDK » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Alligator Rice wrote:
Do you mind sending me a link to the Overworld music? I've been looking for that specific one. Also thank you very much for the criticism!
The overworld music is in your level, it's called "Sunshine Seaside - Super Mario 3D World.mp3". However you typed in "Beach Theme - Super Mario 3D World OST.mp3" in the custom music box instead, so it wouldn't work.
Alligator Rice wrote: I'll be sure to add more enemies. I really appreciate the criticism! If you guys are willing, I could let you test out the "beta" of the full game (I'm halfway through World 3). No pressure though.
I wouldn't mind testing the game. Although I'm quite busy this month.

The Thwomp King
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish

Postby The Thwomp King » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:42 pm

You need to fix the title for your level. I had to adjust myself while playing through to get the full experience. (This doesn't affect the score, but look over these things so you don't end up submitting something that's incomplete or not fully adjusted).

Anyway I found a decent portion of the level feeling the need for more bgo's and a few more npc's. All of your sections suffer from this with Section 3 being the exception. Even with the nice music the atmosphere of the level really felt empty. Underwater bgo's aren't the easiest to come by, but you can definitely improve the underwater section by additional scenery. Even fooling around with the cave blocks more to cause the players to maneuver underwater more of to add more visuals will help improve the atmosphere. I also suggest swapping the SMW sand grass blocks with another beach tileset. The transition doesn't look as nice if only the grass is changing. As far as gameplay the level plays very nicely. I never found anything to be unfair or particularly out of place besides not being able to hit the flying hammer bros from underneath them like you can in SMW. The difficulty I personally found too easy, but I find that fault again with the underwater sections making the level more boring for the most part with only fish too much open space. With the underwater sections being a good portion of the level, I think with improvement in there with the bgo's and more tile placement you could have yourself an excellent level.

6.4/10

Moved to Pretty Good.

Alligator Rice
Rex
Rex

Postby Alligator Rice » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:27 pm

Enjl wrote:Please don't double post. Use the edit button instead.
I didn't think I did double post. I checked my posts and this one is only listed once. Also is says right underneath my post that it was edited. Either I'm blind or you jumped to conclusions.
The Thwomp King wrote:You need to fix the title for your level. I had to adjust myself while playing through to get the full experience. (This doesn't affect the score, but look over these things so you don't end up submitting something that's incomplete or not fully adjusted).

Anyway I found a decent portion of the level feeling the need for more bgo's and a few more npc's. All of your sections suffer from this with Section 3 being the exception. Even with the nice music the atmosphere of the level really felt empty. Underwater bgo's aren't the easiest to come by, but you can definitely improve the underwater section by additional scenery. Even fooling around with the cave blocks more to cause the players to maneuver underwater more of to add more visuals will help improve the atmosphere. I also suggest swapping the SMW sand grass blocks with another beach tileset. The transition doesn't look as nice if only the grass is changing. As far as gameplay the level plays very nicely. I never found anything to be unfair or particularly out of place besides not being able to hit the flying hammer bros from underneath them like you can in SMW. The difficulty I personally found too easy, but I find that fault again with the underwater sections making the level more boring for the most part with only fish too much open space. With the underwater sections being a good portion of the level, I think with improvement in there with the bgo's and more tile placement you could have yourself an excellent level.

6.4/10
I was thinking of adding some coral to the background, maybe the same sprite as used in Super Mario Maker. As far as the difficulty goes, I feel the underwater segments can easily be made harder, but the above ground segments are kind of a pain to increase the difficulty, primarily because there are no pits, just water, and I feel like adding more NPC's isn't very creative. (Although I will add more regardless). Lastly, I don't plan on switching beach tile sets because I spent quite a while making the current one, HOWEVER, do you have any tips as to how I can change the sand segments whilst keeping the current tile set? Thanks so much for taking the time to criticize my level and help me improve upon it!

The Thwomp King
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish

Postby The Thwomp King » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:28 am

Alligator Rice wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote:You need to fix the title for your level. I had to adjust myself while playing through to get the full experience. (This doesn't affect the score, but look over these things so you don't end up submitting something that's incomplete or not fully adjusted).

6.4/10
I was thinking of adding some coral to the background, maybe the same sprite as used in Super Mario Maker. As far as the difficulty goes, I feel the underwater segments can easily be made harder, but the above ground segments are kind of a pain to increase the difficulty, primarily because there are no pits, just water, and I feel like adding more NPC's isn't very creative. (Although I will add more regardless). Lastly, I don't plan on switching beach tile sets because I spent quite a while making the current one, HOWEVER, do you have any tips as to how I can change the sand segments whilst keeping the current tile set? Thanks so much for taking the time to criticize my level and help me improve upon it!
I think you can leave the above ground parts alone as far as difficulty, but for the first section I recommend adding more decoration whether that be rock formations or some additional bgos and a few more npcs. It's practically all of the underwater stuff that needs the push. You don't want to spam NPC's either which can happen at time, but I'm just throwing that out there as an option to fill up the empty space. The main idea is to achieve good balance in space by not cramping with npc spamming or spacing and not leaving the level open and empty. If you wish to keep the tileset I recommend treating the two grass tiles as two separate areas. Instead of having them merge like you do already, treat it so the green grass is one big block, and the sand blocks are another separate area. It'll look less sloppy that way.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:09 am

Alligator Rice wrote:
I didn't think I did double post. I checked my posts and this one is only listed once. Also is says right underneath my post that it was edited. Either I'm blind or you jumped to conclusions.
I merged them.

Alligator Rice
Rex
Rex

Postby Alligator Rice » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Enjl wrote:
Alligator Rice wrote:
I merged them.
I see. Sorry about that I'm just extremely new to the forum. Thanks for merging them and giving me the heads up though.
The Thwomp King wrote:
Alligator Rice wrote:

6.4/10
I think you can leave the above ground parts alone as far as difficulty, but for the first section I recommend adding more decoration whether that be rock formations or some additional bgos and a few more npcs. It's practically all of the underwater stuff that needs the push. You don't want to spam NPC's either which can happen at time, but I'm just throwing that out there as an option to fill up the empty space. The main idea is to achieve good balance in space by not cramping with npc spamming or spacing and not leaving the level open and empty. If you wish to keep the tileset I recommend treating the two grass tiles as two separate areas. Instead of having them merge like you do already, treat it so the green grass is one big block, and the sand blocks are another separate area. It'll look less sloppy that way.
Okay... Why was it that you said I needed to change the title though?

The Thwomp King
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish

Postby The Thwomp King » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:30 pm

Alligator Rice wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote:
Alligator Rice wrote: I was thinking of adding some coral to the background, maybe the same sprite as used in Super Mario Maker. As far as the difficulty goes, I feel the underwater segments can easily be made harder, but the above ground segments are kind of a pain to increase the difficulty, primarily because there are no pits, just water, and I feel like adding more NPC's isn't very creative. (Although I will add more regardless). Lastly, I don't plan on switching beach tile sets because I spent quite a while making the current one, HOWEVER, do you have any tips as to how I can change the sand segments whilst keeping the current tile set? Thanks so much for taking the time to criticize my level and help me improve upon it!
Okay... Why was it that you said I needed to change the title though?
Typo. That was supposed to be the title of the song file.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Alligator Rice wrote:
Please don't double post again. Use the edit button instead. I merged both of your posts.

Return to “Pretty Good”