Some Short Desert Mixed Level (SVLC 2016,13th)

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Some Short Desert Mixed Level (SVLC 2016,13th)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:13 pm

This is my entry to the Spring Vanilla level Contest 2016, nothing else to say except how it turned out in the end, I thought this would've placed low, but such a result is a result.

Here are two screenshots:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
And the download, of course:
Patch 1

Reviews:
Spoiler: show
Bossedit8 -6.00
Ehh... level design was ok. I do like the decoration of this level like pipes inside the tileset and such but the design itself like how you navigate through it is on some cases troublesome like once you reach to the first lineriding platform, you have to wait for it and once it actually reaches you and you miss it just because it's still a bit too high anyway, you have to wait for it again. Just... no. Also yay for Lakitus in this level... if you don't kill him you have to deal with multiple SMB3 green spiny eggs aswell and if you fall down with the Lakitu, you pretty much lose a 1UP anyway because it's not really worth trying to get up there with that stupid Lakitu aswell while waiting for that platform to come back. On top of that, there's a venus fire trap as of where you have to wait out til the platform comes up... so timing is even more perfect than that without getting hit. Later on, propeller gliding... not too bad at least but certain items are quite hard to get. Also, red coins that are fully useless in this level. They're just there... without explanations what so ever. Next up, an airship with a switch... if you fall off of that airship you can't actually get further on in this level anymore. At the end you fight a boss which is interestingly constructured... silly stuff included.

Wraith Adamknight - Y'all got some of dat Weedish Fish?
I really have no idea what this level is doing. I was constantly lost and confused, which is terrible design on your part. The level has events and platforms that require me to wait around for no reason or trap me if I don’t follow along with it. Always stupid-proof your events and make them as time efficient as possible.

Zipper - 7.40
Goodness, a stage with vertical focus that doesn't focus on moving platforms. I'm pleasantly surprised! Aside from the jump to the first lift in the level(which was STUPID hard to do), everything flowed together quite nicely, with adequate difficulty. Despite seeming labyrinthine at first, the player can quickly realise that going through the level is actually quite a linear process and not as complicated as it looks. The bulk of the level was designed nicely, with Lakitus used sparingly, and power-ups scattered generously, so the threat of dying is very little for anyone who's careful. The platforming was a little too simple, but it didn't really damage the integrity of the level. The propeller section was fun, but it felt like there was a lot of dead air between challenges, seeing as how you can just float down for a while without realising the danger is FAR ahead of you. The room before the boss was a little bit bland, but nothing too worrisome. What DID bother me was the koopa-jump between the two airships. Giving the player a "do or die" situation in a level where the only checkpoint is before the boss seems like quite a bold move. Sure it's not THAT hard of a jump, but you may never know when anyone can slip up due to reasons out of their reach. The boss was..well....I don't know. I just pressed the bomb ? block a few times and it was over. It looks easy to just cheese through the whole battle, so you might want to check that out. Still, pretty fun level, stands out pretty fresh compared to official Mario levels.

Chad - 5.50
Sort of interesting. It has a layer of intricacy to it in that you explore all corners of each area, and I like how one of the sections gets revisited a bit later in a different way. To some degree it feels like a mishmash of random ideas in the first area, but the design still holds up as being carefully built and fun to play. The propeller block descent is neat, especially where the moving layer is included, but I think the level could have ended there. It's a reasonably short level, but Section 4 feels a lot more mundane. Even though Larry's somewhat of a unique idea, his room just amounts to hitting block after block. I also didn't care much for the line platform/fire Piranha combo in Section 1, as you have a tiny window to get on the platform before having to wait a long time for it again, and that window coincides directly with a fireball, followed by a very sudden and difficult Lakitu overhead.

ElTipsta - 8.00
I like the usage of tilesets in this level, and some of the events at work. The propeller block section was fun, I wish it was longer. The boss was an interesting take on Larry Koopa, but it's literally just hitting ? Blocks whle trying to avoid Rinkas and Larry's projectiles. Though warp 7's enterance is the wrong way round. You really should fix that.
Last edited by Ness-Wednesday on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Re: Some Short Desert Mixed Level (SVLC 2016,14th)

Postby Mable » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:23 pm

That's a nice bomb generator there at the switch block.

What's up with the background tho

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Re: Some Short Desert Mixed Level (SVLC 2016,14th)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:That's a nice bomb generator there at the switch block.

What's up with the background tho
That was how I took the image with PGE, I selected "Tile background image".

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Re: Some Short Desert Mixed Level (SVLC 2016,13th)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Fri May 27, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm confused here, how is this on Average if it got three "pretty good" ratings and only two "average"?

Return to “Pretty Good”