Molten Madness

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
HVMetal
Snifit
Snifit

Molten Madness

Postby HVMetal » Tue May 17, 2016 11:58 am

Hello everyone!
Here comes another level which I've been working for a while.
As the title says, it's all around lava in some way.
Its not very long, neither short.
Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
We are going Underground this time.
Difficulty: Medium/Hard

I hope you'll like it.
And the download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kzpok ... adness.zip

Credits.
Underground tileset and ? Sign by Valtteri
Rocks, Platforms, Playables and Piranha plants from the SMBX GFX PACK by Red Yoshi + supermarioman
Bridge parts by bossedit8
Lava Tileset and Player Blocks by Sednaiur
Lavafalls by KFCMARIO
Have a nice day!

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Re: Molten Madness

Postby TLtimelord » Tue May 17, 2016 1:26 pm

This level looks kind of interesting. I want to review it, unfortunately I won't be back at my home computer until next week at least (on a long trip right now).

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Tue May 17, 2016 4:47 pm

Your mp3 file is broken or something. It plays a really annoying glitched tone in SMBX and doesn't open in VLC. Also the SMB3 Roto-discs seem out of place in the level which can be solved by a quick restyling of the graphic.

Other than that keep doing what you're doing; it's a good looking level and pretty enjoyable. I give it an 8/10.

HVMetal
Snifit
Snifit

Postby HVMetal » Tue May 17, 2016 5:02 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Your mp3 file is broken or something. It plays a really annoying glitched tone in SMBX and doesn't open in VLC. Also the SMB3 Roto-discs seem out of place in the level which can be solved by a quick restyling of the graphic.

Other than that keep doing what you're doing; it's a good looking level and pretty enjoyable. I give it an 8/10.
Try with the normal SMBX 1.3.0.1 launcher ( if you tried to test it with PGE ), because I tried in both editors and it didnt work
in the PGE and I got that broken, glitched tone. Altough it worked fine in the normal editor. If it happens in both
places then I may try to fix it tomorrow.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Tue May 17, 2016 5:12 pm

Nope, 1.3.0.1 doesn't play anything. I tried the level with 2.0 originally btw, not PGE.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Tue May 17, 2016 6:45 pm

That easy to fix:
Open in the PGE Editor "Tools" -> "External tools" -> "Convert Audio files (SoX)".
Then choice "Convert all musics on current level file" and press "Start". Wait some seconds, and voila - that dumb MP3 file has been fixed and it will can be playd everywhere

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue May 17, 2016 6:52 pm

Wohlstand wrote:That easy to fix:
Open in the PGE Editor "Tools" -> "External tools" -> "Convert Audio files (SoX)".
Then choice "Convert all musics on current level file" and press "Start". Wait some seconds, and voila - that dumb MP3 file has been fixed and it will can be playd everywhere
Is there a way to get that tone in 1.3.0.1? (In one of my levels, the glitchy tone is better than the original song).

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Tue May 17, 2016 7:08 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Open in the PGE Editbecause or "Tools" -> "External tools" -> "Convert Audio files (SoX)".
Is there a way to get that tone in 1.3.0.1? (In one of my levels, the glitchy tone is better than the original song).
What are you mean? Level will work In SMBX 1.3, but if music file broken, need to fix it.
If you have no PGE Editor (which also inclides sox audio conversion tool), but you still want to fix that mp3 file just use download sox tool from their official site, unpack into somewhere and do command:

Code: Select all

sox oldfile.mp3 -s 44100 newfile.mp3
Then remove oldfile.mp3 and rename newfile.mp3.
Note: don't do "sox oldfile.mp3 -s 44100 oldfile.mp3", or you will break oldfole.mp3.
Note 2: Recent SDL Mixer has fixed resampler to play musics of any sample rate without pre-conversion

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Open in the PGE Editbecause or "Tools" -> "External tools" -> "Convert Audio files (SoX)".
If you have no PGE Editor (which also inclides sox audio conversion tool), but you still want to fix that mp3 file just use download sox tool from their official site, unpack into somewhere and do command:

Code: Select all

sox oldfile.mp3 -s 44100 newfile.mp3
Then remove oldfile.mp3 and rename newfile.mp3.
Note: don't do "sox oldfile.mp3 -s 44100 oldfile.mp3", or you will break oldfole.mp3.
Note 2: Recent SDL Mixer has fixed resampler to play musics of any sample rate without pre-conversion
No, I have PGE, and I have the tool to "fix" it, but what if I want the opposite! Their is a song I have that only sound proper (or at least the way I want it) when it is glitchy and not fixed by PGE. Is their a way to make it always sound that glitchy!

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Wed May 18, 2016 5:01 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:but what if I want the opposite! Their is a song I have that only sound proper (or at least the way I want it) when it is glitchy and not fixed by PGE. Is their a way to make it always sound that glitchy!
Just use Audacity to record that glitchy result with tracking of the mixer output, then recorded result you can crop and save as standalone audio file.
Anyway reason of the glitch is: because this file is an OGG file renamed as MP3, and because MP3 itself has no special magic numbers to correctly detect it (ID3 appears only if tags are presented in this file, but in other cases MP3 file begins with sequence of null bytes and then frame preferences, OGG always has proper magic number to detect it)

HVMetal
Snifit
Snifit

Postby HVMetal » Wed May 18, 2016 8:28 am

Wohlstand wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:but what if I want the opposite! Their is a song I have that only sound proper (or at least the way I want it) when it is glitchy and not fixed by PGE. Is their a way to make it always sound that glitchy!
Just use Audacity to record that glitchy result with tracking of the mixer output, then recorded result you can crop and save as standalone audio file.
Anyway reason of the glitch is: because this file is an OGG file renamed as MP3, and because MP3 itself has no special magic numbers to correctly detect it (ID3 appears only if tags are presented in this file, but in other cases MP3 file begins with sequence of null bytes and then frame preferences, OGG always has proper magic number to detect it)
Its actually .ini renamed to .mp3 :/

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Wed May 18, 2016 8:55 am

HVMetal wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:
Its actually .ini renamed to .mp3 :/
Any something not MP3 thrown into MP3 as MP3 will cause junk result of MP3 decoder.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Thu May 19, 2016 7:41 am

Well, if you wanted a playthrough, here you go:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:04 am

MECHDRAGON777's unofficial review

Replayability 2/5
This level was quite fun to play, but can be annoying with all of the unfair hits. I am tempted to treat this as a Kaizo level review, but then again, it is not hard enough to warren it.
Music 3/5
Okay, the music is nothing but static when I play the song in SMBX 2.0. Also, when I have the music set to "Custom" It cuts my frame rate to a third of what is is supposed to be. When I set it to none, and open the .mp3 file, it sounds very nice and catchy, but does not loop. In this level, you will either beat it, or die before it gets a chance to, so no harm for the loop. (The song is 5:57) The song seems to be Sonic. but I can not tell. It fits, just not the quality SMBX can handle. Please use PGE to fix the song. Not all songs can be converted easily. (Sometimes, it glitches out, others, it is just played at a doubled pitch.)
Gameplay 8/20
Now we are getting to the important stuff. This level seems to focus a lot of a balance between how it plays and how it looks, but the npc variety seems to be a little lack-luster: Goombas, Red Koopa-Troopas, Green Koopa-Troopas, Red Para-Troopas, Podaboos (Fire Balls), Roto-Disks, Venus Fire Traps, and Piranha Plants. It is a lot of Variety throughout most of the level, but it seems like you went for Venus Fly traps more often then normal Piranha Plants. The First Roto-Disk is circling a block that is 32 piles of the ground. If you make it to this part of the level (the beginning) with the mushroom that is just three pipes (and jumps) away from the Super Mushroom/Fire Flower. You can crouch under that block; if you are unlucky enough to jump and release down, you will suicide to the bottomless pit bellow the solid ground that is their. (I was killed to this by accident without even trying to pull of the glitch.)
Gimmick 5/5
This level has no gimmick, and it is fine without one.
Difficulty 5/10
Okay, this level seems to have a steady difficulty through-out the full thing, except that their are parts with a steep difficulty spike. Some of the jumps require either a keen eye, or perceive jumping though fire and Roto-disks. Another requires to maneuver around two podaboos, two Red Koopa-Paratroopas, and platforms sinking; however, you have to jump onto a tall pipe next to lava with a Piranha Plant in it. The hardest difficulty is suitable for Bowser-4 though.
Aesthetics 9/10
Okay, the aesthetics look nice with little flaws, just the flaws prevent this from a perfect 10 in atmosphere, appearance, and the like. They are in the screenshots at the bottom.
Total 32/55
AVERAGE: 5.bar81/10

Screenshots I took during playing:
http://imgur.com/a/54jAi
  • Level Beaten
  • Cutoff in Background Objects
  • Glitch death
  • Broken Mask.
Video: Held for Video

HVMetal
Snifit
Snifit

Postby HVMetal » Sat May 21, 2016 4:00 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:MECHDRAGON777's unofficial review

Replayability 2/5
This level was quite fun to play, but can be annoying with all of the unfair hits. I am tempted to treat this as a Kaizo level review, but then again, it is not hard enough to warren it.
Music 3/5
Okay, the music is nothing but static when I play the song in SMBX 2.0. Also, when I have the music set to "Custom" It cuts my frame rate to a third of what is is supposed to be. When I set it to none, and open the .mp3 file, it sounds very nice and catchy, but does not loop. In this level, you will either beat it, or die before it gets a chance to, so no harm for the loop. (The song is 5:57) The song seems to be Sonic. but I can not tell. It fits, just not the quality SMBX can handle. Please use PGE to fix the song. Not all songs can be converted easily. (Sometimes, it glitches out, others, it is just played at a doubled pitch.)
Gameplay 8/20
Now we are getting to the important stuff. This level seems to focus a lot of a balance between how it plays and how it looks, but the npc variety seems to be a little lack-luster: Goombas, Red Koopa-Troopas, Green Koopa-Troopas, Red Para-Troopas, Podaboos (Fire Balls), Roto-Disks, Venus Fire Traps, and Piranha Plants. It is a lot of Variety throughout most of the level, but it seems like you went for Venus Fly traps more often then normal Piranha Plants. The First Roto-Disk is circling a block that is 32 piles of the ground. If you make it to this part of the level (the beginning) with the mushroom that is just three pipes (and jumps) away from the Super Mushroom/Fire Flower. You can crouch under that block; if you are unlucky enough to jump and release down, you will suicide to the bottomless pit bellow the solid ground that is their. (I was killed to this by accident without even trying to pull of the glitch.)
Gimmick 5/5
This level has no gimmick, and it is fine without one.
Difficulty 5/10
Okay, this level seems to have a steady difficulty through-out the full thing, except that their are parts with a steep difficulty spike. Some of the jumps require either a keen eye, or perceive jumping though fire and Roto-disks. Another requires to maneuver around two podaboos, two Red Koopa-Paratroopas, and platforms sinking; however, you have to jump onto a tall pipe next to lava with a Piranha Plant in it. The hardest difficulty is suitable for Bowser-4 though.
Aesthetics 9/10
Okay, the aesthetics look nice with little flaws, just the flaws prevent this from a perfect 10 in atmosphere, appearance, and the like. They are in the screenshots at the bottom.
Total 32/55
AVERAGE: 5.bar81/10

Screenshots I took during playing:
http://imgur.com/a/54jAi
  • Level Beaten
  • Cutoff in Background Objects
  • Glitch death
  • Broken Mask.
Video: Held for Video
Well, thank you for the review. Im wondering a few things like how could that glitched death happen ( You shouldnt blame me for this, if a player wants to glitch and dies its his own fault, altough I think it was an accident so... ). And the Bowser-4, well its just the name of the soundtrack. Altough, I dont know why is it a huge problem if some jumps require some things and no offense here but thats something MINIMAL when I ask the player to make a little bit harder jump ( Alright, jumping over 2 paratroopas, 2 podoboos and a piranha plant was too much...maybe ) but in other cases when there arent so many enemies around.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And also this little message here goes to Linik, to not double-post, which says:
Thank you for the playtrough.

Return to “Average”