Ave Carcerem

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Ave Carcerem

Postby as303298 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:29 pm

Translation: Sandy Dungeon or "Hail" Prison (literal definition)

A simple level I designed because I heard some fitting music to it. Rest pretty much came as I see fit, deriving most of its design from DKCR's factory levels.
Took about four days to create, mostly due to the BGO usage in the level.

Tileset & NPCS: Prox
Design: as303298
Music: Crumbstepping - For Sugar Splash Act 3 - Sonic: After the Sequel Music

Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
Video: [Held for video]

Download:
https://www.mediafire.com/?nf5vqb6ss00yr8n

lighthouse64
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Re: Ave Carcerem

Postby lighthouse64 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:37 am

Aww man this is like some type of endurance level or something. The walls keep smashing right at ya and killing the player. :p Good job though. I just don't like the goomba's eyes though. They're too 8bit.

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Official Review of Ave Carcerem by as303298

This is a pretty nice level for the start. The design looks pretty structured in the first sections and the graphics look pretty well. The main gimminick of this is the moving blocks, who crush your player balls. I'd say this is a good concept, but that's the only one creativity element it's been in this whole level, so that's like 4 points for creativity. Anyways, as like said, the design in first sections was good, I liked the secret path to the dragon coin to be honest. There were 2 sections that include dragon coin to collect and some moving blocks here, which were nothing special. The coins were spam placed in section 4 and they should be removed, except those near the 1-up mushroom.

Section 3 starts to get out of a hand. The coin placement is so messy in that screen where you enter it, and what's worse is the moving blocks. Most of them seem to be really hard to avoing getting crushed, due to getting a dragon coin, not enough time or reaching the ones that are high. For example, this screen, where the powerup is, is really hard and unfair to get, because of the not enough time to pass through them, so that means the player will most likely get crushed from them.

Anyway, the next section is really not that good. In the start of the section, if you fall into the quicksand, there's, like, no way to get up, so it's best to drown youself to death, should've added tiles to get up there. But that's not the worst part there, the worst is this one. Seriously, I have a feel that you didn't test this. While playing, when you're ready to jump into moving block in the right, the top moving block will come first and crush you unexpectly for first try. I died here 8 times because of my attempt to jump on the block in the right, which doesn't move. You could've make the right block move first, then the right block move after few seconds when the right one stops, also like in the start of the section, if you fall into the quicksand, it's also the same - you die because there's no way to get up, there should be some tiles to make it fair. Before the end of the level, there was one block tiles that move up and down, it's not that bad, but there's there's one part where two tiles collide, and if you stand on top ones while they collide with the bottom ones, it's instant death, not joking.

Whelp, that's the level, which is sort of average. It has its cons and needs more work.

Design: 5/10
Creativity: 4/10
Aesthetics: 7/10
Total: 16/30 -> 5.3/10

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:32 pm

": but there's there's one part where two tiles collide" But...I checked.
Where is it?

As for the third section, that was just a mistake on my part. I didn't learn till after I finished the level that the coins could be attached to moving layers. I simply forgot to update the download.

As for the sand pits, I didn't make them in order to give the player a second chance. The level does punish you a lot for failing, but I didn't want these holes to be so..empty.

But yeah, this level only exists cus I liked the music and felt this design style would fit the chaotic music. Ill look into it more.

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:43 pm

as303298 wrote:": but there's there's one part where two tiles collide" But...I checked.
Where is it?

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:56 pm

wait..two copies of that block got created? Woops.

You can see how that section is structured...even I have no idea whats going on at times. Ill fix it

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun May 01, 2016 9:23 am

MY REVIEW OF AVE CARCEREM made by Wraith Adamknight

LEVEL DESIGN: 9.5/10

From what I reached so far, the level looks very impressive. The placement of backgrounds and blocks are really neat. Especially the gimmick of squishing pyramid terrain is very fascinating and challenging. Other than that, I couldn't reach the end of the level so I don't know what is in.

GRAPHICS & MUSIC: 10/10

The graphics in the level are very eye-catching and fitting to the theme. The music used was also enjoyable, interesting and mysterious. I enjoyed the level playing it.

TOTAL: 9.75/10

Return to “Average”