Spectral Arcane Machine (CC12 2nd)

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
ssumday
Bit
Bit
Flair: Nope

Spectral Arcane Machine (CC12 2nd)

Postby ssumday » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:01 pm

You guys think I like to get second place everytime? :(
But this level still isn't one of my best levels. It's only have beautiful graphics with some fun, but a lazy design.

Screen:
Spoiler: show
Download: Reviews:
Spoiler: show
2. FireLink - Spectral Arcane Machine (8.89/10)
Chad (8.0/10)
This is a super nice level. The design is very simple when you're outside, but the inside is a bit more explorative and complex, and I like that contrast. It tells a nice story more with its progression and atmosphere than with dialogue, and the level is generally kept pretty easy so you can just enjoy what's going on around you. Moving parts like pistons and crushers are put to clever use and even cinematically when they break through the floor, and often require creative reaction from the player. I didn't care too much for the introduction of the skull crushers, though. It's explained pretty clearly, but it does nothing to prepare you for the number of times or rate at which they will press the ground. At least this is only the first instance, but the others are a lot easier to grasp. There's a clear indication of when it'll happen, and that it'll only happen once for each one you encounter. The first one should have been handled this way too, with a white marking and a single stomp. I also found the moving spikes to be a pain, because they're identical to the stationary ones and react very suddenly. These aren't huge issues, but they're certainly troublesome. The boss is pretty clever, though. Not too difficult, but it keeps you on your toes and it's pretty easy to learn what you have to do, and the health bar is nicely implemented. I have mixed feelings on having a boss this far away from the midpoint, but it's a fun fight and nice ending to the level.

ElTipsta (9.5/10)
Now this is how you make an atmosphere! This level has a really unique hybrid of jungle/factory/ghost and it's very engrossing, and the music is a perfect match. The design itself is very nonlinear with a variety of challenges from water pools to crushers that damage the player if they are on the floor when it lands via clever usage of layers and events, it altogether blends to make a very unique experience and one of the best in this contest. The length is good too, though usage of LunaLua to make a second checkpoint before the boss would have been grand. Also, the boss dosen't always take damage when you throw a star at it, which would have probably got this level an even higher score from me if this wasn't the ccase. I think Bomber57 made this.

Quill (7.2/10)
This was pretty cool. The general setting of this level was pretty unique and allowed for some unique design. The majority of the unique design is only featured in the second half though with the active machines. Aside from these elements, the general design was pretty decent though a lot of it was holding left/right and jumping occassionally. That's alright, but it got a little boring at times. Thankfully, the better second half helped spice things up. The boss was pretty basic. The attacks were annoying to deal with especially as the projectile was vulnerable to everything. Speeding up the projectile spawn time could help here. The boss could have more variation in the attacks too.

Shinbison-Kof (9.75/10)
This is an amazing level! I love the atmosphere, it's unique and very beautiful. Factory in a mystic land is a perfect mix! The level design is great, I like the transition between the forest and the factories. I love the smash blocks and the secrets. The gimmick is very well executed and the effect of the smash block is new to me. I like how some ghosts interfere with the scenery. The moving layers are a nice addition too, especially in the factory parts. The factory section feels cramped sometimes, but it isn't much of a problem because the npc placement is still fair. The special effects and gimmicks are great in this level, but they seem to only come in after the checkpoint. The level intro is weird, too. The boss is great. It's simple but very well made. You handled the difficulty very well. I loved the music! The level design was just great. The level was fun and amazing overall!

Valtteri (10.0/10)
Impressive special effects in this level. The smashers are really cool. The design is near professional. It's fluid and interesting throughout the level. The boss was good, although it seemed like Boo only got hurt if he was in a specific position. The level looks gorgeous, too!

Sux
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: Spectral Arcane Machine (CC12 2nd)

Postby Sux » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:05 pm

IDK why, but this level look me familiar...
Anyways, amazing atmosphere, and congratulations for 2nd place.
I hope next time you should win ;P

Hani
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Hani » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:13 pm

Nice atmosphere.. The dark night with the light of the moon and the stars. The good design.. Anyways, nice job making it top 3! ^_^

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:40 pm

The qwill-factor really hit this level hard. Nice job though

ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu
Pronouns: she/her

Postby ElTipsta » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:18 pm

This one was one of my favourites. Congrats on silver (again), FireLink! ^^

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Marvelous looking graphics once again FireLink, you always please me.
But I feel your pain, being the runner-up in three CCs is very upsetting.
I'll play this level, the graphics look beautiful, and love the use of the infamous smoke effect.

Edit: I loved this level!
The recolored graphics matched each other very well.
The music fits perfectly with each section, I liked how the little boo tried to stop you, but turns into a giant boo battle.
I once thought the spikes that you used after the checkpoint were npcs, but I've noticed some changes and it turns out they're moving layers.
Other than Link's sword, I'm not sure why you must be Mario for the level.
I liked how the ending was executed, the boss was very well done and had enough space to move around.
Making the spark effect invisible was very neat, it makes the gameplay feel like SMB3.
Although the only thing was, I've noticed that you've edited the Hammers from Hammer Mario and Luigi, and also made them invisible.
I noticed why when all of a sudden, I broke the boss and got stuck.
It is also breakable if you tail spin the boo.
Other than that this was a marvelous level you've made, I would've been more surprised if this won.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:35 am

I have to say that I liked this level and I can see why it got so far. I loved the atmosphere in this level and the level was structured very nicely. The way those skull platforms were introduced seemed kinda rushed and it was sort of a "learn fast or die moment." I ended up dying twice to that because the pattern was a little weird. Also the boss was waay too far away from the midpoint. Also it would have been nice to supply the player with a few power-ups to compensate for the boss. The boss was well designed, but I felt like the teleporting was a bit unpredictable and I found myself getting hit in midair a lot after jumping. Overall, I would probably give this level a 8/10 It had its cool moments, and the atmosphere and gameplay were great, but there is a lot to improve upon too.

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:46 am

Well this is my favorite level in the cc12, everything is perfect and the level is fun (I wrote the qualities in the review). You deserved the top 2 ( deserves to win for me). Congratulations!

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:19 am

Shinbison-Kof wrote:Well this is my favorite level in the cc12
Of course it's your favourite level since it's made by FireLink xD Other levels also deserved to win more than this level imo.

Return to “The Best”