Sandy Star Showdown

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Sandy Star Showdown

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Well have a time i don't post a level, I decided post this simple level, is of my episode with desert theme. Thanks firelink for helping me in make some parts of this level and graphics!
I hope enjoy!

Screens
Spoiler: show
Download

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Re: Sandy Star Showdown

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:57 pm

Even with this level's flaws, why did you not submit this to CC12? (Deadline being tomorrow and all)

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:02 pm

My Review:

Atmosphere [4/5]
This is literally the only issue I had with the level: where the fuck am I? Am I in ruins, in space, on some asteroid and why is it full of sand? While pretty damn cool...I was constantly curious as to how all of this can co-exist together in such a weird place.

Level Design [4/5]
Pretty spot on, although I could do without the artificial extensions: such as that red switch block. Your level played a lot on level extensions but it also made it immersive and funny to watch. All in all, this if one of the levels that can take the concept of artificial extensions and use it wisely. The usage of various elements, such as the propeller block, managed to keep such a simplistic design style original up to the very end of the level. Like I honestly didn't except a small little muncher run with a kuribo shoe at the end of the level, very cute.

Check you pipe usage btw. In section 5 you can get stuck trying to exit if you don't do a running jump. Also, I won't dock points for it, but I am hearing multiple complaints on the lava lotuses used in this section.

In section 1, right before the pipe with Warp 6, you can glitch right through the wall and get stuck. I won't dock points off, but change this before someone other than me gives a crap.

Graphical Continuity [4/5]
While this level doesn't make much sense, at least it was consistent. I also like the usage of sand in a few side sections was a lovely touch, as I noticed you were meticulous as to what was fore-ground and background in each section it was used.
Section 5's BG doesnt exactly fit with the desert theme you chose here. For a cave BG recolored to be brown isnt exactly the most fitting graphic you could've chosen.

BGO Placement [5/5]
No issues. Any comments were displayed in "Graphical Continuity."

NPC Placement [5/5]
While I would've like the rolling bombs to have been used in a cool fashion, I can say I can dock any points off in this field whatsoever. Kudos.

Difficulty / Replayability [5/5]
I can easily say that if I wasn't a lazy bastard I would certainly play this level again. Curious though, was this expected to appear in a contest or episode, or is it simply just because you got bored?

Overall Score: 27/30
Final Score: 9/10
Judgement: The Best
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI3c7w1kPW4

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:07 am

Ok since wraith wrote his review, I might as well write mine since it's unofficial. Anyway.....

PROX's Unofficial Review:
Spoiler: show
A desert in the night time with ruin portions and caves along with random mushrooms and moving platforms.

Design: I liked the design of this level. It was pretty solid. The level constantly kept me entertained based on how it constantly introduced something new rather than rehashing certain things. I liked the moving platform gimmick, and I'm very surprised that other people don't do something like that very often. I will say that the added effects were kind of unnecessary, but it was an interesting touch. There was one star coin section with 2 volcano plants, spikes, and a very hard to reach pipe that are all cluttered which is pretty excessive. I know it's a star coin section, and it should be kind of challenging to get to certain star coins, but this is world 3 and it's already somewhat hidden anyway, so there is no need for it at all. Also make sure you lower that pipe by 1 or 2 blocks because I needed a running start just to make it to that pipe with Mario in order to exit that section.
There was also a spot where you can glitch through and get stuck, but it's kind of hard to do and it would be the player's fault for doing that, so I won't mark you down for that. It's more of a note than anything else.
Score: 8.5/10

NPC Placement: The NPC placement was great except for that one section. I felt like there could have been a bit more variety though. Since this is supposed to be a desert level, I think it would be good to include some form of desert enemies just to add to the theme of your level. It's not required, but it's encouraged.
Score: 9/10

Atmosphere: The tileset used worked for the most part. I do think that the ruins tileset used would fit more in a forest level rather than a desert level personally. Also the music didn't fit at all. It was catchy and not overused, but as far as compatibility with the level's atmosphere, it didn't do the job at all.
Score: 7/10

Overall Score: 8.1/10
It was pretty solid and I could tell that you put a lot of effort into it. I do think that there are some areas that need polishing though.
Last edited by PROX on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:43 am

Thanks @as303298 and @PROX for the nice reviews, I not expected this "in the best".
I'll fix all errors cited, especially in the section 5, I know this part isn't necessary to be hard, also the parts in the tileset that is possible cause glitch ( especially in the first section). ;)

@MECHDRAGON777, well I don't used this level in the contest because Firelink helped me in some parts. This level is especially for the episode.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:35 pm

Shinbison-Kof wrote:Thanks @as303298 and @PROX for the nice reviews, I not expected this "in the best".
I'll fix all errors cited, especially in the section 5, I know this part isn't necessary to be hard, also the parts in the tileset that is possible cause glitch ( especially in the first section). ;)

@MECHDRAGON777, well I don't used this level in the contest because Firelink helped me in some parts. This level is especially for the episode.
Dude I know several people who sent their levels to each other and critiqued each other, sometimes even edit something for them.

If everyone was completely honest in this contest, the best levels wouldn't be at their full potential. Many times you need outside opinions and help to make your level the best it can be.

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:01 pm

TNTtimelord wrote:
Shinbison-Kof wrote:Thanks @as303298 and @PROX for the nice reviews, I not expected this "in the best".

Dude I know several people who sent their levels to each other and critiqued each other, sometimes even edit something for them.

If everyone was completely honest in this contest, the best levels wouldn't be at their full potential. Many times you need outside opinions and help to make your level the best it can be.
It's true! This level was make especially for my episode, Firelink helped me because I thought would be a nice idea, but in the contest this is different, I think is against rules two participants make 1 level. But if someone say some ideas and other things isn't a problem, I guess.

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:11 pm

Technically the rule only applies if you people placed the blocks. Assembling the graphics, brainstorming and bug fixing isn't tied to that rule. So...you had a chance

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:08 pm

as303298 wrote:Technically the rule only applies if you people placed the blocks. Assembling the graphics, brainstorming and bug fixing isn't tied to that rule. So...you had a chance
Maybe, but I can't use this level, even if I wanted. XD
Thanks for your tips.

Spider Juice
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Spider Juice » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:04 pm

I relly like your job, the level screens likes that's a wonderful level
It is worthy of being in the invasion 3. great job. Im proud of the forum members

Return to “The Best”