Kashmir

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Kashmir

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:36 pm

Man I can't believe I finished a level. I haven't since my CC11 level!

Well, this was going to be my Autumn 2k15 level but since Contest 12 won't happen until winter and I already had something special in store for the winter contest, I thought I'd go ahead and finally finish it and post it publicly. It's probably my best level for now, as I just simply keep improving; you can never stop getting better in SMBX (unless your name is zephyr or FireLink)! Nevertheless, it's an oil level, original name is "Parched Petroleum Plant" but since it was gonna be a contest level, it holds my trend of Led Zeppelin song names.

Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
Download

Although I am aware I rushed the ending, a review is still desired.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Kashmir

Postby Emral » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:46 pm

7.8/10 too much oil.

Might check this out later to see how much it has changed since I last played it.

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:24 am

Enjl wrote:
Might check this out later to see how much it has changed since I last played it.
Same here
Also more like

CASHMIR!!! AMIRITE? BECAUSE YOU GET MONEY BY SELLING OIL AND STUFF???
(rip me)

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:(rip me)

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:00 pm

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of KASHMIR by TNTIMELORD

Design (9.8/10)
Wow! This level is VERY spacious, but it actually flows rather nicely! It gives you a sense of direction and even if you get lost, it's easy to find your way back, and that's what I loved most about this level! There's ONE thing that bothered me, though. The message box towards the end. The one that mentions "draining the oil." Why is it there? If a player is anything like me, they'll most likely activate the hovercraft before they even SEE that message box.

Atmosphere (7/10)
I don't know...maybe I'm just picky, but I wasn't a huge fan of the way this level looked. I've seen grassland/industrial styled levels before, but this one just looked really messy to me, with the grass/trees everywhere. The YI platforms are also EXTREMELY unfitting.

Other Comments: Heh, I've actually heard that song "Kashmir" before. I don't remember liking it, though XD

Overall 8.4/10 (Pretty Good)

Not a bad level at all! Probably some of the best design of any level I've played!
That message box tho x(

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Eh, this doesn't look that bad, I'm gonna post the review tomorrow, as I don't have time to finish it tonight.

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:12 am

Official Review

This is definitely another great level came out in this forum. The level is not only great, but it's also probably creative. The reason is because of level design and lots of effort added in it. With lots of work, this level isn't rushed whatsoever. The atmosphere of this is beautiful as well, since it's SMB3-styled styled, it was decorated very nicely, there was lots of BGOs (and oil!) here, but I think there was a bit too many of them.

Anyway, for the placement, I don't see anything really wrong, everything looks pretty great, except for that message box, which like Turtwig said, they'll most likely activate the hovercraft before they even see it. I also like how you placed BGO arrow signs and make some of them hidden before pressing tha switch, etc, which makes understand where to go, which makes this level slightly easier. The gameplay - it's absolutely enjoyable. The difficulty balances fine and I really liked it. The gameplay length is pretty good, too. The music fits very well. The level design is great, too.

Eh, I don't have anything to say about this, so overall - it was a pretty great level and I really like it.

9/10

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:05 pm

My Review:

Atmosphere: [5/5]
-Given the face that the level's entire gimmick is a typical oil-based canyon I would normally dock points for the unoriginal idea chosen. However, with a combination of your lovely poem and music choice I would have to say that despite the unoriginal choice you did manage to make it unique to just this level somehow.

Level Design [3/5]
-This level fell short in its actual design. It has something I call "artificial extensions," which is effectively "hit a switch to do a thing." This was cute for a while but eventually the level started to rely on making the player backtrack to an area they have full power to go to only to reach a deadend unless they hit a switch. This is doubled by the fact that the halfway point exists in one of these temporary deadends, forcing the player to backtrack despite earning "progress" by hitting the midway point.

Graphical Continuity [4/5]
-Again it is a neat system having the player be in an oil-based canyon while having the player almost live their own adventure, as evident in the poem distributed in the level. However, such a lush assortment of grass, bushes and mossy hills wouldn't exist in this environment. While I don't want to dock points off for this, I will still have to say that this element was entirely uncalled for in such a heavily industrialized area.

Music Continuity [5/5]
-No comment necessary. The music was perfectly fitting to build on top of the atmosphere chosen for this level.

BGO Placement [2/5]
-Half of the score deduction comes from the fact that a majority of the BGOs in this level are the aforementioned grass, bushes and trees. The remained comes from the pipes. While you did warn the player, which is something you shouldn't TELL but rather TEACH, I still can no disregard the fact that these BGOs blend in way too much with the factory tileset chosen. In some cases these pipes rest right above lava in front of a lava pit which can trick the players into believing this is a safe zone.

NPC Placement [4/5]
-While I did find nearly every enemy to be placed in a neat fashion, with the exception of generated bombs, I have to say the Bully's fell short in their involvement on the level. It is clear they were created to pose some sort of threat on the player, especially considering their positioning: but they don't do a god damn thing. I Loved everything in the level, but I feel like this was a pretty long-lasting impression in terms of NPC Placement. I highly recommend just removing them entirely.

Difficulty / Replayability [3/5]
-The difficulty was fun and fair, but I would have to say I wouldn't play this level again. The artificial level extension was used way too often. While it was kept immersive with cool elevators and hovercraft I would have to say that the design choice was much too tedious to warrant a higher score.

Overall Score: 26/35
Final Score: 7.4/10
Judgement: Pretty Good
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2w7IpocYhw

Return to “The Best”