Return to Sarasaland - CC11 9th Place

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Return to Sarasaland - CC11 9th Place

Postby Valtteri » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Image Image

This level is my take on the concept of Super Mario Land in 16 bits. I got 9th place in the latest contest reclaiming my spot in the top 10. ;) The level features not only Super Mario Land graphics in the style of Super Mario All-Stars but also 16-bit chip music made by me. And obviously I took a lot of inspiration from the original Super Mario Land when I designed the level itself, specifically the Easton Kingdom (world 3) and the Marine Pop level from world 2. Enjoy!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qo9t49up8qxccuy/

The judges' reviews:
  • Bomber57 (7.5/10)
    • This level does capture the essence of Super Mario Land. Well, everything except for the shortness of the levels. This level was quite long, and I got to the point where I didn't really want to keep playing. The custom enemies were really cool, and probably acted as close to as they did in SML as possible (never played the games). The level has some moving platforms, which would be fine but all of them, every single one, just changes direction suddenly. I died several times to falling because the platform decided it wanted to suddenly move the other way and I would just fall into the pit below. This was especially apparent when you had to jump from one platform to the other. The boss was pretty easy, not much to say about that one.
    bossedit8 (9.25/10)
    • Lovely SML level revamped into SNES SMB relative to theme and graphics. I really like this level. It takes a lot of elements that are from SML and everything was greatly executed into SMBX. I like the differency of the whole level but that one secret that's incredible hard to reach, once I reach it I only get like a lot of coins... not that I can brag about for coins but well... let's just say... a power up would be nice? At least a hidden one? Of course I only get a lot of coins and then nothing else... oh well. Regular overworld, underwater and then the ruins with several secrets involved throughoutly and it was fun and challenging. Not much to say since it's SML but into SMBX executed but hey... it was a very good level!
    Chad (9.0/10)
    • This is a really impressive usage of SML1 resources. Many of its design conventions are intact and cleverly used to provide unique obstacles to the player, with highly strategic enemy and hazard placements to give the same ones a high variety of different applications. You even made perfectly remade a lot of enemies that SMBX couldn't normally do very easily, and performed many unique gimmicks from the original game. The level includes overworld, underwater, and castle themes to change things up while providing impressive detail in each place, and the difficulty was fair and consistent the whole way through. Even with a huge variation of different hazards, this level demonstrates great control over how new things are properly taught to the player in order to more easily grasp them. It's also creative how the boss's death seamlessly uses a cloned section to enable a cinematic end. The level's fantastic overall, but there are a few rough spots here and there. The falling spikes are impossible to anticipate until they've already descended upon you, and the boss spawning the rocks is somewhat confusing because the way they bounce changes, which is rather difficult with the fireball already being challenging. Some of the moving platforms awkwardly sync as well, which takes away from the ability to make a stable plan to deal with them. They change directions at seemingly abrupt points, so I'm not always sure if one's going to move away just as I go to land on it, although they're still doable. A few more powerups would have been nice too, although the cannonball projectile is a neat little addition.
    Quill (7.8/10)
    • I liked the level's ideas and how well you presented Super Mario Land here. I can really see the effort you put into this level, but man, it's just too long for my liking. It somewhat kills the experience, but the whole level is still pretty solid and the sections are pretty different from each other so it was still pretty fun.
    Wind (7.5/10)
    • This is a pretty nice level! I liked the Super Mario Land style. The bullet bill blasters that came out from the pipes were cool, but that's basically it. The first section is all about platforming, the second section is an underwater section but then it goes back to the same platforming and dealing with the same enemies. It doesn't really spice things up, either. It's pretty boring. Also, there were these random blocks that fell from the ceiling. What is this, I Wanna Be The Guy?

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Return to Sarasaland - CC11 9th Place

Postby FanofSMBX » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:55 pm

Where did you get those sprites or did you make them yourself?

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:44 am

SMB1 styled SML NPCs? i like the GFX! can i use them pls.....
the design is good and the pipe looks weird IMO

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:53 am

"RETURN TO SARASALAND" made by Valtteri

REVIEW:

LEVEL DESIGN: 9.5/10

That was a great level, dude. Making Super Mario Land in a style of SMB1. The first section is 3-1, the second section is 2-3 and the third section is 3-3. Most of the gimmicks are pretty similar to original SML.

GRAPHICS & MUSIC: 10/10

The graphics were incredibly amazing. Making nearly all of the SML enemies in SMB1 style must be tough for you. And the music. They were the greatest and the awesome part of the level. They really fitted the level especially the castle part. It really fits the theme along.

EXTRAS: Will you or Wind make a trilogy for this? Like Valtteri's Fortress has 3 levels. Will Return to Sarasaland have these?

TOTAL: 9.75/10

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:21 am

FanofSMBX wrote:Where did you get those sprites or did you make them yourself?
I made them myself.
Harvey36Dice wrote:SMB1 styled SML NPCs? i like the GFX! can i use them pls.....
the design is good and the pipe looks weird IMO
Sure!
Suckerman7 GM wrote:Will you or Wind make a trilogy for this? Like Valtteri's Fortress has 3 levels. Will Return to Sarasaland have these?
I haven't thought about it. You could see it as a "sequel" to another level I made earlier that is based on Super Mario Land 2: http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... =62&t=4416

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Made a playthrough of this level:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYzZYpcqLyE

SonicMarioFan121
Goomba
Goomba

Postby SonicMarioFan121 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:57 am

Good Job!

LLevel Design: 9.5/10
Graphics: 10/10

Total: 9.9/10

Cacazk
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Cacazk » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Very good :idea: ! I really enjoyed the level (mainly the part of the seabed), graphics, perfect design for an SML style, but the only problem is that it is a bit difficult and long. Note: 8.7/10, their remakes are really cool!

alex1701
Goomba
Goomba

Postby alex1701 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:31 am

I can't play it!! I put it into my worlds folder but it isn't here.
What should I do?

Alper0022
Rex
Rex

Postby Alper0022 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:43 am

alex1701 wrote:I can't play it!! I put it into my worlds folder but it isn't here.
What should I do?
Use the editor to open the level

alex1701
Goomba
Goomba

Postby alex1701 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:56 am

Alper0022 wrote:
alex1701 wrote:I can't play it!! I put it into my worlds folder but it isn't here.
What should I do?
Isn't there any way to open it ingame?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:03 am

alex1701 wrote:
Alper0022 wrote:
What should I do?
Yes, but you need a world (.wld) file to do so. Single levels are meant to be played through the Editor.

alex1701
Goomba
Goomba

Postby alex1701 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:13 am

PixelPest wrote:
alex1701 wrote:
Alper0022 wrote: Use the editor to open the level
Yes, but you need a world (.wld) file to do so. Single levels are meant to be played through the Editor.
Ok, Thanks

Return to “The Best”