Koopa Road

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
Magical Poke
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Koopa Road

Postby Magical Poke » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:05 pm

This is my first post, for my first level, for my first episode called Super Mario 32. The idea behind Super Mario 32 is to be similar in alot of respects to Super Mario 64 but have many additions to make it unique. For example, in each level room, there will be a special powerup unique to that world. Koopa Road is the first level, so it only has Mushrooms.

https://www.mediafire.com/?d3pb6i6h2h78lff
screenies
Spoiler: show
The graphics are from the Community GFX Pack

edit : not using this in an episode anymore
Last edited by Magical Poke on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Re: Koopa Road

Postby Witchking666 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Okay Since this i your first level you may not hav heard of clash and cutoff, the two biggest nono's in smbx

Clash means mixing styles which do not look good together or using two tilesets of the same tileset in which the colours look bad, and since i allready see smw,zelda,smb1,smb2 and YI in your screen, to avoid this you can do 2 things:
1 using vanilla gfx of one style (sad enough this is hardly possible with smb1,zelda and most smb2 tilesets

2 (recvomended) using custom gfx
Before i get the famous "vanilla isn't bad" post ill say this:
Vanilla isn't bad, clash i though
You can easily avoid clash by using recolors,restyled o certain gfx which arent there in every style (or use 100% custom stuff instead) This help really well and is Easy to do aswell :)

Cutoff (just to explain)
Is a phenomenon in which a graphic (most commonly a bgo) seems to "float" in midair
This occurs when you place flat-bottomed gfx on non flat bottomed gfx or when tileset is used incorrectly
You can fix this by making a bgo or block version of the existing gfx and place it behind the cuttinf off object
This is harder to fix then clash though

Hope this was helpful?

Magical Poke
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Magical Poke » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks, i will redo it.

DarkWolf658
Snifit
Snifit

Postby DarkWolf658 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:30 pm

Looks good! I wouldn't take screens in fullscreen mode though, it streches the images. I'll play this later

CopyLeft
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby CopyLeft » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:00 pm

Very nice! The only problems here are graphical and minor things.

You had some buggy graphics, such as here.

You had cutoff several times in the level, such as here.
Surprisingly, there wasn't much clash in the main area. Here, however, is a different story.
The Zelda 2 backgrounds clashed, and the SMW Ghost House graphics didn't fit in well with the SMB1 based level.
This doesn't look right. Here's how you fix it:
That still clashes, though. Also, why are several NPCs and the starting points in the air? Put them on the ground, so it looks slightly more professional.
You also shouldn't put one-block-high areas, such as here.
Also, you put SMB3 items in blocks in an SMB1 world. If you scroll through long enough in the possible contents of the box, you will find SMB1 and SMW items.
Please, put multiple powerups, or at least don't put Mushrooms in several blocks.

While it didn't look the best, this played very well, and I enjoyed it!
This should go in Pretty Good, maybe a really high Average.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:19 pm

EpicMarioBro wrote:This should go in Pretty Good, maybe a really high Average.
I highly disagree. I'd give this around 1.5, maybe 2.5 if I was in a really good mood. There is almost no way this could make it to Pretty Good and with all of the errors you pointed out, I have no idea why you would think that.

CopyLeft
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby CopyLeft » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:58 pm

All those errors, except for a few, were pretty small. I really enjoyed playing this level.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:25 pm

Why target this level for your nitpicking? Gameplay > looks, guys. You're better than this.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:03 am

Enjl wrote:Why target this level for your nitpicking? Gameplay > looks, guys. You're better than this.
Very true.

Official Review of Koopa Road

This level was short no matter which of the paths you took although fun to play. The first section was actually quite well designed except for a few cramped spots and single block squeezes between the mushrooms. Power-up placement was fine throughout however coin placement needs quite a lot of work. The styles mixed here weren't too bad overall, but be careful in the future to make sure mixed styles fit well together. Enemy placement and choice wasn't too bad throughout, although there could have been some more fitting enemies such as boos, etc. in the ghost house section. The ghost house section was the least well designed part of this level. It was too short to add anything good to the level and there were too many stacked sizables. This level wasn't too bad overall. It was very fun to play, but was too short and needs some work on coin placement and the ghost house section.

4.5/10 (Average)

Return to “Average”