Goomba Gorge

Levels posted here need a lot of work before they're ready to be played.
PixelJustice
Spiny
Spiny

Goomba Gorge

Postby PixelJustice » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:28 pm

Hello everyone!

This level "Goomba Gorge" is a relatively short, but challenging level from my upcoming project.
///EDIT: I will soon be posting a video of myself beating this level.

Level has two endings, one is hidden.
A review and any feedback would be very cool! :)
Can you beat the level? ;)

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/download/z9ai8 ... +Gorge.zip

Comes with custom sprites for Gombor by me, as well as NPC flag txt for him
goomba gorge.png

"Super Mario Quest" (Working title) Takes place in a peacetime after the defeat of Bowser. Many of Bowser's underlings and apprentices have risen up to take his place.

The project includes many original levels, reimagined classic levels, 2d representations of 3d levels (ex. Mario 64), Locations from SMRPG, Many overhead worlds, Mushroom Kingdom and Luigi's Mansion HUB worlds, and much more.

This is my first project, I've also just started using SMBX, so I have a lot to learn, but I've also wanted to make my own mario levels since the late 1980's lol so hopefully that will help me catch up. Have a good one everybody! Any feedback is much appreciated and I hope you enjoy the level!
Last edited by PixelJustice on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Re: Goomba Gorge

Postby Mable » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Wow the screen looks very good.
I like the koopasa and goombas in the screen and the use of powerups and coins looks great. Thats a nice screen 10/10.

PixelJustice
Spiny
Spiny

Postby PixelJustice » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:Wow the screen looks very good.
I like the koopasa and goombas in the screen and the use of powerups and coins looks great. Thats a nice screen 10/10.

I'm not sure what to say lol there are no koopas in this level and I'm not sure what you mean by "screen" did the level work alright? If it didn't upload correctly I can fix it. I'm also new :S so maybe i'm just not getting what you mean?

Zipper
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Zipper » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:00 pm

she means you didn't post any preview screenshots

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:02 pm

PixelJustice wrote:I'm not sure what to say lol there are no koopas in this level and I'm not sure what you mean by "screen" did the level work alright? If it didn't upload correctly I can fix it. I'm also new :S so maybe i'm just not getting what you mean?
Thats alright lol. And here http://imgur.com upload a screen there and you good to go. To make one press f12 while in the editor.

PixelJustice
Spiny
Spiny

Postby PixelJustice » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Thanks for the help :) I posted a screenshot!

Sorry I should have read the rules better for posting lol

Have a good one and enjoy!

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:11 pm

No problem if you have anymore questions you can ask in the help&support section. It's never bad to ask :)

Zipper
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Zipper » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:10 pm

Alright, I played the level, here's a quick rundown:

-the leap of faith at the start was ALMOST going to piss me off, turns out it's almost impossible to die on it though so it's fine.

-level has little to no threats throughout, the goombas do little more than nothing, which is a nice contrast to SOME annoying levels, but it does feel bland

-the platform falling in the water HURTS you from above, that's ridiculously stupid. even then, the reward for getting that insane timing right...is a fire flower. you gave the player an ice flower 2 FEET AWAY FROM IT. there is too much risk and NO reward for this act.

-I focused on the platform because..well..that was the only worthwhile part of the level I took notice of before it just abruptly ended. the level is REALLY short, even by SMB3 standards.

-the end boss is stupid, you'd need to be overprepared to NOT get hit by a cheap shot when you're approaching.

-you know what else sufffers from the same issue? the secret path. the troll blocks that prevent you from entering it easily is amusing, I admit. though it becomes annoying when I have to avoid them for the FIFTH time because the endless swarm of enemies in the secret area just kept screwing me over and over. difficulty is one thing, insanity is another. tone it down a little.

-also relevant, the secret "boss" is an even MORE obnoxious version of the endboss, I just used godmode for it, it'd be a colossal waste of time to reasonably fight him.(sure I could damage boost through, but good luck getting up there without getting hit once)

that's about it. the graphics and music are vanilla, but they fit the theme so they're cool. perhaps a little more variation on ground would be nice.

PixelJustice
Spiny
Spiny

Postby PixelJustice » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:30 pm

lol that's funny I was kind of expecting a response like this at first.

Thanks for checking out my level btw, very appreciated :D
I'll be posting a video soon of me beating this , both bosses, in one go, no cheats :P

I'll give you the trick to getting through though for now.

Use the Ice flower to freeze the flying goombas, that hover left and right, into platforms to get up to the "P" button.

This turns the coins into a path for you to carry the red shell over to the switch for the mini boss.

The fire flower is there because ice doesn't hurt the boss. If you miss the first ice flower, it's atleast something to rush the boss with. All you have to do is jump on him.

The boss isn't unbeatable at all lol, use the Ice flower to freeze the bullet bills being shot at you to stand on, to avoid the bombs below. Now freeze all incoming projectiles until forming a cluster of frozen enemies that will either...

1) ricochet and send bombs back at him into his closed area, for the mini boss, which will blow him up.

2) create platforms for you to jump over to him and jump on him.

It's all about the ice flower in this level.

It will also create throwable objects to open the miniboss area if you miss the red shell above.

This level isn't supposed to be an easy one ;) it has a gimmick for sure.
Thanks again for trying it out! Please try it again with the tips i gave you if you are up for it :)

Have a good one

PixelJustice
Spiny
Spiny

Postby PixelJustice » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:50 pm

Hey everyone, I just added a video above showing myself playing the level, both endings! I hope you enjoy and thanks for checking out my stuff! :D

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:37 am

Official Review of Gooba Gorge

This level had many issues. First off, it starts with an infamous blind jump, which is just no. Coin placement needs a lot of work and the level needs a lot more NPC variety. Even though it's called Goomba Gorge, that doesn't mean that you're not allowed to have any enemies other than Goombas. Power-up placement was okay, but putting a Tanooki Suit in the castle was unnecessary. There were also too many styles mixed in this level along with a few instances of cutoff that made it look quite messy. The castle ara is very cramped and way too short (only about one screen long) and then the boss at the top was poorly made. It had 1HP and just spammed you with bombs for the whole boss fight. Overall, this level was poorly made, very short, and not overly fun to play.

1.5/10 (The Trash Can)

Return to “The Trash Can”