Childhood Island

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
SBells27
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: Working on a new project right now.

Childhood Island

Postby SBells27 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm

After the failure of my Kaizo levels. Decided to try something new. Super Mario World was part of my childhood and I had a great time playing it on my SNES. It's my Favorite 2D Mario game of all time. So decided to make a level based on that :P

This used to be a Level from Tough Mario Bros. but it got moved to a new level, so silly to see all these comments. (I got a problem trying to upload a new topic) Also don't ask why the file is called like that :/

Posted in 1/11/2015
Last edited by SBells27 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Re: SMB.420 - Stage #3

Postby PixelPest » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Maybe instead of creating all of these level posts, create a topic in the projects forum and post all of these here.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Cosmik wrote:Maybe instead of creating all of these level posts, create a topic in the projects forum and post all of these here.
They'd all have to be in an episode in order for him to do that.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:33 pm

He said this in his first post...
SBells27 wrote:The first level of the series "Super Mario Bros. 420".
...So I think there's a good chance. And even if it isn't, I'd highly recommend to SBells27 that you do.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:05 pm

I highly recommend that you starts taking some criticism before you continue making levels, especially if you're looking to improve.

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Re:BAD STAGE

Postby Artemis008 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:04 pm

This is another one of those levels were you can easily get stuck and be forced to return to the title screen.
Start listening to people and will start downloading your levels again.

SBells27
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: Re:BAD STAGE

Postby SBells27 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:29 am

(Blanked)
Last edited by SBells27 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Re:BAD STAGE

Postby ShadowStarX » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:50 am

SBells27 wrote:
Artemis008 wrote:This is another one of those levels were you can easily get stuck and be forced to return to the title screen.
Start listening to people and will start downloading your levels again.
I guess you're right, thanks for the advice :)
Next time, please don't put gigantic pictures in your posts! If they're big, put them in spoilers and not attachments.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:59 pm

Wait so Stage 3 is now Stage 4?

SBells27
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby SBells27 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:40 pm

(Blanked)

Reiuji Utsuho
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Time to make myself disappear

Re: Childhood Island

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:36 am

Review: Childhood Island by SBells27
{Gameplay: 10Pts | Scenery/Music: 10Pts}

Gameplay:
4 out of 10
The design of this level, to start off wasn't very good. When I note something as questionable, it means I usually don't understand the point of why it's there. I found three areas or items I would put in this category and I'll explain each. ~

1. The Toad In The Block
There is a toad in a block at about the mid-way point of this level. I would guess he's to serve as a power-up since he acts just like a super mushroom. Anyway I noticed this multiple times after trying to get him, but he "dies" about a second after coming out of the block right before I get him. I'm not sure why either, but what I do know is adding power-ups the player cannot get is unnecessary and the level would be no different without it.

2. The Blue Block Area
Right after the toad, there is a diagonal platform with an unshelled koopa, a shell, and a space below that with two blue coin blocks. The thing that I didn't understand at first is what these block were for until I found out that apparently all they're there for is to hold the shell in and get you two coins(?) This is also another thing that could be gotten rid of or improved upon, because this is absolutely pointless to the level as well.

3. The Ending Fire Flower
I'll get more into NPC placement after this, but I wanted to note that there is a fire flower near the end goal. Unless this is part of, maybe a series of levels that you continue from after that point I cannot understand the need of another power-up near the end, even more so for such a short level.
---

Now, I will move on to NPC usage.

Usage of power-up/ item NPCs is too high. Longer levels can justify having more power-ups, however a level this short cannot. It only uses one section and takes about 1 to 2 minutes to beat. The difficulty is also relatively low and yet I counted 2 mushrooms (Toad being 1), 3 fire flowers, 1 yoshi, and 1up. I would recommend dropping the toad, 2 of the fire flowers and maybe the yoshi as well, to cut down the amount of items. Likewise, the level could be made longer to where more items would possibly be needed.

Enemy NPCs didn't have any issues, from me at least and I also like how you had a good variety of enemies too. ~

Scenery/Music:
3.5 out of 10 {1Pts Scenery | 2.5Pts Music}
The scenery was disappointing and overall lacking. Even if a level is simple that doesn't excuse it looking and feeling empty. I will give you credit for putting some BGOs in, it feels like the most minimal amount of effort was put in this department and it honestly shows. I feel like more could have been done, like adding clouds, grass, more bushes, ect. Overall, you tried, but I don't think you tried hard enough.

Finally for your music choice, I don't have an issue with it. It's average and seems to fit well in this level.

Conclusion:
7.5 out of 20Pts {3Pts Overall {Rounded from 3.75}}
Overall I had more problems with the design of this level as well as it's unnecessary overuse of power-ups. While you had decent enemy placement and design for the most part wasn't terrible it feels like not a lot of effort was put into this. Would I say rushed? No. I would just say not enough time and that's what is needed to make this better. You need to look at this level and think about adding more to it, adding scenery, maybe adding more sections, because this level also was relatively short.

This was honestly a disappointing one, but in no certain terms is it trash can material. It's as basic as you get, so I would consider this near the bottom of what you could consider average.

*Moved to Average

Return to “Average”