Airship Factory Funk (UPDATED)

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Re: Airship Factory Funk (UPDATED)

Postby PixelPest » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:30 am

Spoiler: show
Neko-san wrote:Quick note from me to SecondScolipede:
I do apologize for the wait you've been on. I'm only a new lj so I likely would've come to your level in the next couple days anyway, I just don't have a ton of time on my hands as I have business I have to handle on weekdays, not counting Monday most times. So once again thanks for being very patient and let's get on to the review! ; w ;

--------

Review: Airship Factory Funk by SecondScolipede
{Gameplay: 10Pts | Scenery/Music: 10Pts}

Gameplay:
10 out of 10
This level was very enjoyable and creative! The design was very well done, there weren't drawn out areas, or at least areas where there was nothing to do, you're always moving and doing something and the two different paths you put on the first level was a really good touch to encourage exploration.

Enemy and power-up placement was very decent and I would also like to say that this level, while challenging was fun because the challenge was genuine instead of being due to poor design and/or over-saturation of enemy NPCs.

Really I have no complaints about this and I had no trouble navigating the level. ~

Scenery/Music:
9 out of 10 {4Pts Scenery | 5Pts Music}
Another thing I really love about this level is how it's presented. All graphics fit well and compliment each other very nicely and the overall design is creative. While I'm not the biggest fan of airship levels I can appreciate the effort you took in making Airship Factory Funk not only an enjoyable level, but a very visually appealing one. Scenery usage is perfectly fine in the spots where it is used and I'd say no changes would be needed here.

For a level called 'Airship Factory Funk' I would be surprised to hear anything different, but your music choice is rather fitting and a great selection in general. It's very lively and really add to the atmosphere of this level. I would go as far to say the music is one of my favourite things about this level too. ^_^

Conclusion:
19 out of 20Pts {9Pts Overall {Rounded from 9.50}}
I had little to say as far as issues, because just did't have any. This level was very enjoyable, it looked good, and really I would recommend this level. I know it's one I'd gladly play again. ^_^

*Moved to The Best
I highly disagree with your review:

PixelPest's Unofficial Review of Airship Factory Funk

Level Design and Gameplay (weighed 70%): 5.2/10
Although the graphics really standout, this level's overall design isn't great. The level lacks a good spread of coins, instead many of them (sometimes up to 25) are all clustered into little spaces throughout the level. NPC placement is alright in the first section although sometimes NPC projectiles will take out other enemies in your path, kind of removing their purpose. The Thwomps in the first section should really be removed as they don't really fit the level in the way they are included.
Section 2 is a whole other story. It starts by forcing a fire flower on the player and then showing them to an airship section that moves upwards. The issue is, the only way to start the airship platform is to hit a single block from below, that never respawns if you hit it from above, forcing the player to kill themself. The ride up is slow and boring and when you reach another platform, the one you're riding passes right through it; no good. The top of Section 2 is also very cramped and the goal post is too short.
If you're lucky enough to take the low road, you'll come to an underground section of the airship called the "Tank Factory". This section was really quite glitchy, as enemies would die when they hit the tank tracks you rode. The section was also pretty short and led to a poorly made boss battle, in which you battle a Bowser reskin of Wart. This boss battle has many issues, including blocks generating randomly out of the ground and the way that you can just jump over Wart-Bowser and bounce of the springboard behind him to grab the star, getting you up to 10 1-ups.

Graphics and Music (weighed 30%): 6.6/10
The airship tileset works very well since the level is mostly consists of, well, airships. The tileset was also used very well throughout and created a pretty good atmosphere, although it wasn't great. The atmoshpere is somewhat wrecked in this sense due to the implementation of brightly coloured pipes and the SMW foresty stakes which did not fit whatsoever. The green lava also did not seem to fit, and neither did it make sense to have tank tracks going across it.
The music doesn't really fit an airship level, but when you add "Funk" to the end it does more or less.

Overall: 5.62 (High-end Average)
- NPC placement, especially coin placement, needs work
- some blocks don't fit and take away from the atmosphere
- some good ideas that weren't executed to their full potential (ex. Tank Factory)
- boss battle and Section 2 need some major work
Final Note: This level has a lot of potential, you should keep working on it!

Return to “Average”