Heated Hotland (CC11 29th place)

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Heated Hotland (CC11 29th place)

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:30 am

This is my CC11 level that got 29th place in tier 8.
Also, Chad gave a 9.5/10 for this.
Spoiler: show
Reviews:
29. Tervantez2345 - Heated Hotland (7.12/10)

Bomber57 (4.75/10)
This level was way too difficult for all the wrong reasons. The length of the level before and after the checkpoint are too long for its difficulty. The main difficulty comes from clusters of enemies and projectile enemies. This level also has a fetish for random Banzai Bills in the most inconvenient of locations possible. This level also has several cutoffs with the pipes. But really, putting hammer brothers, firebars and bullet bill launchers in the same area together is way too much for the player, no matter how slow and careful they play the level. It just felt like enemies were purposely placed to screw the player over, and that's no fun.
bossedit8 (7.25/10)
Well, of course we have a level filled with lava but even with bullet bills and hammer bros? Seems fun on some of the areas that they can simply kill you if you don't pay attention on them like the giant bullet bills including firebars. I do like the challenge though but I do feel like that this level is a bit rushed as far as the placement goes since I do notice some missing tiles and others tiles that shouldn't even be there... kind of nitpicky I know but it's for sure noticeable. The area with the coin collecting event, it was nice but I feel like having a different color of the coins would be a better solution rather than having them on the same exact color as the rest of this level. I do find your enemy placements mean especially for the first time players since they do serve as a challenge for sure but sometimes it feels... too much like 2 hammer bros on my way at the end while being small... ouch!
Chad (9.5/10)
This was a really enjoyable level! I like how you managed to have lava everywhere without it being a constant threat, sometimes it just stayed behind the tileset and let the highly strategic enemy placements do the work. There are a lot of specifically planned moves the player must do to pass each area, and it made the level tricky without being overwhelming. The length is great in both halves, so the situation is tense but not terribly punishing if you die. There's a good variation of challenges regarding NPC platforms, cannons, and firebars as well, and the Hammer Bros. are placed deviously in a way that's still fair. The attention to detail really shows, and it made everything a lot more fun. I just didn't care for the exit to Section 2, as you can't see the pipe until you take a blind gamble you can't really return from.
Quill (7.1/10)
Pretty decent level. The atmosphere helped contribute to the level's enjoyment and several nice ideas were presented here. Nothing really wow'd me, but it was fun. The idea with the 18 coins was neat, it would have been nice to see that a little more. Overall, good job!
Valtteri (7.0/10)
I quite like this level. There was a coin challenge that you needed to complete in order to progress. It also looks neat.
Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
Download and have fun

WARNING: it's a level with final world (not bonus) difficulty!

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Heated Hotland (CC11 29th place)

Postby h2643 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:45 am

Looks like a really hard and difficult level, I like this! Also the GFX are cool.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:45 pm

h2643 wrote:Looks like a really hard and difficult level, I like this! Also the GFX are cool.
Thanks for the feedback, hope you enjoy the level.

Also btw, Sednaiur made the graphics, they're in his SMB1 expanded gfx pack.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:01 pm

"HEATED HOTLAND" made by ShadowStarX

REVIEW:

LEVEL DESIGN: 9/10

Anyways, this level is so well-made. Lava, enemies immune to fire, souled Spinies, red backgrounds and a gloomy air. I died a bunch of times, but I catched the point. Especially, the lava is so overused. But it makes the difficulty of the level, isn't it? With this hot and gloomy level, some Wall of Flesh might look good. (This one is just for fun. Don't take it seriously. I'm bad at making jokes. :oops:)

GRAPHICS & MUSIC: 9/10

The graphics are from Sednaiur as well. We use his graphics so much. But it gives a harmony, isn't it? The music has a magma cave-style. (Especially it's from DKC.) But it fits the level very well.

TOTAL: 9/10 (Amazing Volcano Level ;))

Zant
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Zant » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Return to “The Best”