[CC11, 19th place] Ocean with Orange Oranges

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
h2643
Birdo
Birdo

[CC11, 19th place] Ocean with Orange Oranges

Postby h2643 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:02 pm

Hello, I'm here with another vanilla level. Yet again, it was made using PGE Editor.

This level is somewhat unusual - you still play as Mario Bros. but your main enemies are... Kirbys! Also it has a weird gimmick - you push various buttons and collect treasures to progress.
And it uses vanilla graphics from GBA Kirby games only!

Now let's look at screencreams:
Spoiler: show
This level has a secret SMW Star, which requires you to collect all the Dragon Coins and ends with a boss battle, which gives you a SMB3 Star upon defeating.

And here's level reviews from CC11:
Spoiler: show
19. h2643 - Ocean with Orange Oranges (7.76/10)
  • Bomber57 (7.0/10)
    • Pretty cool what you did with the different kirbies. I especially liked the ones that sucked you towards them. Parts of the level were either too empty or too busy. The Meta Knight battle was unfair because his Galaxia projectiles moved too fast, so it became hard to dodge them. Having to fight him with bombs on top of that is rough because of how many hits it takes to beat him using those.
    bossedit8 (9.5/10)
    • KIRBYYY!!! Oh man, this level was just amazingly designed like as of what the whole Kirby series did and such but into SMBX. I do like that you explained about this level that all of the Kirbies are evil to the player but what I really love is how they act differently and there are also quite a lot of them. I also like the whole differency of the power-ups acting as mushrooms in this area like the whole SMB, SMB2 & SMW mushrooms and even the Z2 heart are having different amount of food and such based of the Kirby games. I also love the whole design of this area and I couldn't really find any issues. Well, about the boss though, it does have a challenge for sure but I find the mushroom generator to be too fast to respawn so with that you have like no chance of dying even if the boss' projectiles are faster than regular speed from the original boss' sprite. Overall I really liked this level a lot.
    Chad (8.0/10)
    • This is a Kirby level done really well. It's full of switch events that defeat enemies or destroy/create blocks, which are carefully thought out and reminiscent of the series. There's a great variety of enemies and land formations to make the level feel complex and alive, while also providing lots of little secrets to encourage exploration and curiosity. The occasional swimming sections are a neat addition too, and enemy placements are moderately difficult to keep players engaged. However, the boss is somewhat cheap, because with frequently-generating Mushrooms, you almost can't die. But at the same time, the Mushrooms are in fact needed because Meta Knight's swords fly fast enough that you almost can't dodge a second consecutive one. I understand wanting to make it different from a typical SMB3 Bowser battle, but making the player take almost-required hits and heal interchangably somewhat negates the point of difficulty. Also, the second star is practically a freebie because the Dragon Coins really don't require you to go out of your way that much, and while the inhaling-Kirbys are really imaginative, they don't serve much of a purpose.
    Quill (6.3/10)
    • I liked the Kirby elements you had in this level. It made the player think about what enemy did what which I thought was neat. The level itself is alright. The design is good, but doesn't stand out. I did appreciate the variety in the terrain and the enemies. The boss was a little disappointing as SMB3 Bowser takes so long to kill.
    Valtteri (8.0/10)
    • As a big fan of "Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land" I can't not like this level. Someone's put a lot of effort into porting tileset from the game. The level is also very good. The possessed Kirbys are weird but the idea works. I like them a lot. The cinematic before the boss is nice, too.
Download level here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ja8v ... 9/OwOO.zip

I hope you'll enjoy playing it!
Last edited by h2643 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Re: [CC11, 19th place] Ocean with Orange Oranges

Postby Marina » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:05 pm

Capri Sun Plains before it was cool B)

I love the Kirby NPCs though lmao. When you said you were making a Kirby level I didn't think it was this literal lmao.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:13 pm

Marina wrote:When you said you were making a Kirby level I didn't think it was this literal lmao.
Of course I was rofl

Black Mamba
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish
Pronouns: They/Her

Postby Black Mamba » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:44 pm

I see mini Kirby from Amazing Mirror and I love the graphics an stuff and I might play it later.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:47 pm

Uzendayo wrote:I see mini Kirby from Amazing Mirror and I love the graphics an stuff and I might play it later.
Right, I fixed that to "GBA Kirby". Thanks, glad you like it!

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:47 pm

"OCEAN WITH ORANGE ORANGES" made by h2643

REVIEW:

LEVEL DESIGN: 8.75/10

The level is so cool! As Kirbies are enemies along your way and a battle with Meta Knight which takes for ages. My favourite kirby enemy was Hammer Kirby and Needle Kirby. The other ones were so easy to overcome. And most of the power-ups were really common to find. But a Kirby level is a rare-type level in SMBX community.

GRAPHICS & MUSIC: 10/10

I liked the graphics so much! Once I saw them, I thought I played Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland for a while. And the music is better than anything. Orange Ocean is one of my favourite music in Kirby Series. Good Job h2643!

TOTAL: 9.375/10 (Excellent level! :D)

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:53 pm

Thank you for your review, glad you like my level and the GFX I used here ;)

RoundPiplup
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Postby RoundPiplup » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Tookirby4me

So many kirbys and a bunch of nicely done areas.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:23 am

RoundPiplup wrote:Tookirby4me

So many kirbys and a bunch of nicely done areas.
Thanks, glad you like this. Also fun fact: this level uses 66 layers and 61 events!

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:03 pm

This level was AWESOME,can I use the tile set for my game?

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:46 am

As a HUGE Kirby fan this level has to be one of the best looking Kirby levels I've ever seen.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:04 am

Artemis008 wrote:This level was AWESOME,can I use the tile set for my game?
Yeah, I don't see why not :P
zlakerboy357 wrote:As a HUGE Kirby fan this level has to be one of the best looking Kirby levels I've ever seen.
Thx zlakergender357 <3

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:02 am

Playthrough made:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlYKjc_Sass

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:55 pm

I like the looks of this level, the music was very nice as well. Also, nice gameplay.

Return to “The Best”