Lakeside Spinsaws (CC11, 14th place)

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Willhart
Banned

Lakeside Spinsaws (CC11, 14th place)

Postby Willhart » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:05 am

There are a lot of saws. I wanted to focus more on the gameplay when designing this level. Couple of the npcs might be invisible on some computers.

This level is playable with any character.

Comments/Scores
Spoiler: show
14. Willhart - Lakeside Spinsaws (8.06/10)
  • Bomber57 (8.5/10)
    • Not too many levels can pull of HD graphics so well in SMBX. This one was able to do that. Heavily inspired by Super Meat Boy (really is pretty much a Super Meat Boy level) you gotta avoid saws and... tank squirrels. The challenge in this level was great, and I never found that I died to the level's bullshit. When authors pay a homage to another game they tend to overdo it, making things too difficult for the player, but this level was designed to still be possible for Mario while still feeling very much like a Super Meat Boy game. It was real thoughtful that you had a frog at the start who tells you that you cant spin-jump on the saws, as that is important to know in this level. Once I got to the star I was left wanting more, as this level isn't too long.
    bossedit8 (6.0/10)
    • EU Computers couldn't advance this level due to an uneven number at the size of some NPC codes. I would of really liked this level if it wasn't for that issue at the beginning just for US and EU differences of code functions. I really liked this level though like the whole saws, those weird tank enemies and some of those... jumping enemies. Difficulty was great and yeah, it was a good level but the whole issue of what I mentioned before was a unnoticeably pain.
    Chad (9.0/10)
    • Wow, this is an incredibly unique level! Right off the bat, you deliberately use the powerup/bouncy-saw glitch to a gimmicky advantage to create a new type of hazard, so just from that I knew I was in for a ride. After that, the level exhibits very cunningly-placed sawblades and tight passages to motivate caution and planning in the player while warping you to different parts of the section to make the design feel complex. Didn't care much for the generator just preceding the checkpoint though, as you can only get through that unscathed by taking advantage of the few frames where a newly generated instance doesn't hurt you, which you may not necessarily even know to plan around. The second half also has some pretty deviously-placed saws, but the multi-row generator becomes overwhelming quickly if you don't figure out the route immediately (the solid slope tile doesn't help either), and the water initially looks like it'd be toxic. But other than that, brilliant job designing this challenge.
    Quill (8.3/10)
    • This was super neat! Basing your level around saws you couldn't spin jump was interesting at first, but you managed to use it really cleverly. It was fun seeing all the sorts of crazy things the saws got up to and it added a lot to the variety and design of the level. Great job!
    Valtteri (8.5/10)
    • This is truly a level that stands out among the rest... All the graphics are HQ! I like how you made use of the glitch where the saws start jumping really high if the player picks up a power-up. Overall the level is interesting to play. The purple color scheme suits it well.
Screenshots
Download Link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxij3Y ... sp=sharing

Credits/Sources
Graphics: Tileset, background, most of the enemies and power-ups are from Pekka Kana 2. The saws and the little pink greatures are from Super Meat Boy.
Music: SuperMeatBoy-ForestFunk and sm64-ambient

Return to “The Best”