[CC8, 27th place] World 1-2 (Overgrown Fields)

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
h2643
Birdo
Birdo

[CC8, 27th place] World 1-2 (Overgrown Fields)

Postby h2643 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:38 am

Yep, this is my CC8 level which was made when my level designing skills were poor and shit... Oh well, I decided to post it now while I wait for the final tier results of CC11.
This level is mostly SMW styled and has some nice secrets.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
And an outdated video (by bossedit8):

There are some big things you will see changed in my level, for example the final exit is changed and I added one more section.

And here are the CC8 reviews of my level, if you want to read them:
Spoiler: show
27. h2643 - World 1-2 - 7.187/10

bossedit8: 8.835/10
I really like this Level. A casual SMW Level. the actual platforming, decorations, enemy placements and more elements were very nice. There is a secret room too but once you get out from the room you are exiting out from a small Pipe which is weird. One Problem is that there are two Stars in one Section, which counts as only one Star in general, no matter which Star you obtain it first. Not a long Level which stays as a SMW Themed Level which I really like.

Chad: 8.2/10
Enjoyable little grassland/mountain stage. It's a linear stage with a nice short length and pleasant difficulty, but there are copious alcoves and side passages that offer secrets and bonuses. The cliff-hopping part in the first half is nice, and I'm impressed by the elaborate setup of the pass-through platforms and blue shell in the second. I advise against requiring duck-sliding for anything, and putting two stars in the same section because it'll only count one. But other than that, I had fun with this short but fairly polished level.

Emral: 5/10
Decent little grassland level. Reminds me a lot of SMW hacks, as you used puzzle elements I often see in hacks like that. They had to be broken down to be compatible with SMBX, which kinda graded them down a bit. Anyways, easy little World 1 style level, which is, I think, what you were aiming for. It feels kinda random at times. For example, all the water could've been removed and it wouldn't have been decreasing the quality, just making it a bit more consistent. The little secret was nice and helped build up the SMW feel.
Overall though, there was nothing which stood out. It's a bit forgettable and "just a World 1 level".
Guess: A SMWcentral guy. I know none of you.

Quill: 6/10
Interesting level. Feels familiar somehow, especially that start. The level design is pretty interesting. I liked the koopa who kicked the shell which gave you a 1 up, it rewarded some patience there. The brief water section was a little weird and not really needed. The level's super short too and could have been extended.

TNTtimelord: 7.9/10
This was a real nice looking SMW styled level, though it has a few things I would get rid of. I say put a question block containing a vine down to get that dragon coin and get rid of the springboard. I also think you should get rid of the springboard because it's only needed for that, but some players like me may carry it with me for the entire level needlessly. It also wouldn't hurt to move the spawnpoint, as it feels like a rather awkward place to put one. Other than those issues, there isn't too much really wrong with this level and it's a nice and enjoyable regular SMW level.
Download here!

Enjoy (or not)!
Last edited by h2643 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: [CC8, 27th place] World 1-2 (Overgrown Fields)

Postby zlaker » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:29 am

Moved to the Pretty Good since the highest score this level got was a 8.835.10.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:29 am

Are you kidding me???
Last edited by h2643 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:31 am

h2643 wrote:Are you kidding me???
Really sorry for that! I'll see if I can review this level when I get back.

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Re-review of World 1-2 by h2643

That's a pretty good SMW styled level, which reminds me it as second level from SMW's hack called Mario's Treasure Hunt, because of the same level design. Anyway, the graphics and recolors work very fine and I kinda like them. The decoration is pretty great and I've enjoyed so far. The gameplay felt to be good and the music fits very well. The amount of coins seemed to be high, but since this is the second level, and most of the coins were in the bonus section, I'm not gonna affect the score.

The difficult is balanced, because, again, second level. There's more-like a secret star, where you glitch thru cement blocks and use the key to unlock the door to get the star in the cave section. For some reason, the key and the locked door seems pointless, probably because of the placement, where the key is placed in that screen, where the lock door is. And finally, it's not SMB3 recoloured.

Anyway, overall, the level was very great, but it was too easy for some reason. Whelp, time to rate it tha best score.

9/10

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Thank you for the review glitch4! Yes, this level is based of the second level from MTH, but with my own twists and turns. So it's sorta a remastered version of it.

Also yeah, this level is easy because it's supposed to be an early game (it's in the first world after all!). Anyway glad you liked it!

Return to “The Best”