SMBX Custom Level: Futuristic Fortress

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

SMBX Custom Level: Futuristic Fortress

Postby as303298 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:12 pm

(Cue old level comments)
This lovely level was planned a long time ago, back to the first Tower of Biased contest. I saw Quill's horrible attempt to make a Sanctuary Fortress level, so I borrowed his tileset. In total, the level itself took over a month; with the boss taking 2 weeks just by itself.

The entire level had the famous Santurary Fortress level from MEtroid Prime 2: Echoes in mind, so it is very heavily based on exploration and reward.

Music: Sanctuary Fortress Main, Sanctuary Fortress Depths, Metroid Prime 2 Puzzle Theme, Metroid Prime 2 Ing Battle

Tileset: SilverDeoxys563

Magnetic Rails: SilverDeoxys563 & Val

Inspiration: (Various sources)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzKabeof9s

Screenshots:
http://i.imgur.com/lIe1hSk.png
http://i.imgur.com/pK5qUhn.png
http://i.imgur.com/z9b0oXk.png

Download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zwy4vm
Last edited by as303298 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quill
Rydia
Rydia

Re: SMBX Custom Level: Futuristic Fortress

Postby Quill » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:25 pm

My attempt wasn't horrible...

Also, me and Valtteri didn't make the tileset. I believe SilverDeoxys563 did.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:12 pm

I think I might steal that tileset for myself...

This looks good, I think I might try it out.

WindyDelcarlo
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:49 am

I love the tileset for this level. I downloaded the level and played it, and I really enjoyed it. I don't exactly know how to judge/rate levels properly, so I'm afraid I can't help in that regard. But, to be honest, I enjoyed the level this much and I've only gotten halfway through so far.

Sig.Cell
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Sig.Cell » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:31 pm

I noticed from the screenshots, that there are many areas where you need to climb.

I've always liked the futuristic levels and this is not bad! ;)

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 pm

My own Playthrough:

Original YouTube Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RdTEBzna1c

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Postby Danny » Wed May 14, 2014 1:43 am

*Post reserved for review, will finish it up later on.*

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 pm

8bitmushroom wrote:*Post reserved for review, will finish it up later on.*

Oo I can't wait to hear how one of the official judges likes my favorite level.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:00 pm

as303298 wrote:

I will also do a run of the level, record it, and do my review.

Edit: I played this level as Peach by the way!
YouTube video link: http://youtu.be/8BoX21j78aM
Playthrough:
Review:
I got every coin in the level, and every power-up in the level. I got 4 deaths when actually trying to play, and one death just trying to get to the boss after the lag death! you are not being taken off for that for warning the player and you even allowed the player to skip it if it did lag them! The White key was quite a good gimmick, so you had to re enter the level to get the second star, but it fells unfinished with the blocked off warp in sector 17. It played nice and Smoothly the entire time until after I read the warning message! It cleared up after entering the door I needed the "white Key" for though! From what little I played of the boss, it was well made though as well! I can not review that section due to the lag.
The idea of magnatisim to use as a net background was also brilliant. You said you would of entered this in to the first Community contest, but I think you would of won with this level! The level has good game play and level design, as well as having fitting music. I can not find one thing wrong with this level other then the lag! I have to give this level a 10/10 since it made me want to finish it the entire time I played it and I could not set it down so to speak. It took me about 40 minutes to 45 minutes to play this entire level, and most of this was one run! before the check point, the death was at the very begging. after the check-point, my deaths were from me messing around trying to get back to the boss, the boss, and looking for a Green Key I miss placed, and a Rinka killed me due to me not seeing what was 1 Pixel over her head! This is a fair, and fun challenge to play through! Way easier then what you normally do!

Final score: 10/109.5/10

Tack-ons: Any time you require spin-jumping, you have to place a "P" block right before it with another character block! Peach can spin jump, but not in the same way Mario, Luigi, or Yoshi-->Toad can!
[This will be updated when my video finished uploading! (216 minutes after this post is made!)]
Last edited by MECHDRAGON777 on Sat May 17, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Postby Danny » Sat May 17, 2014 1:20 am

as303298 wrote:

Yeah, I'll write/post the full review once I find the time. Something came up at last minute and I wasn't able to fully review it, so just hang in there. :)

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:40 pm

8bitmushroom wrote:
as303298 wrote:

Yeah, I'll write/post the full review once I find the time. Something came up at last minute and I wasn't able to fully review it, so just hang in there. :)
I personally can not wait to see your review of this level as well, since I also liked it and it would show me how close I am to a Level Judges view on it!

HeroOfRhyme
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:19 am

With Danny demoted, I'll take over and review this level. It's way over due, and I need to catch up quickly on reviews.

HeroOfRhyme
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:05 am

Futuristic Fortress
as303298

The graphics of this level really live up to what you wanted them to be. They capture the Metroid feel and being a Metroid fan I really loved what you did with this level. I found the level to be pretty hard, your placement of the items are good except some of the sparks on the vines aren't there, but that might just be a game glitch. I loved the idea of the movable blocks to form stairs, Metroid Prime 2 is my favorite Metroid Prime, so I know you got that right from the game itself. I didn't like the doors though, I found it ruined the layout of the level. If you've played Super Metroid, you'll notice that doors are only placed at the edge of a scroll, and the scroll behind the door isn't visible. It makes the room look much more realistic as it looks like it leads into the next room instead of into the wall. I also don't understand why the key was made a green Varia Suit graphic, as Varia is a suit upgrade. Perhaps it would've been better if it was modelled after the super missle, as it opens a super missile door. I also don't like how yo need to be short in order to get the first dragon coin. Another error you made was that the keys open the grey doors as well, and if you open one of them the door is solid, so it makes you permastuck. The boss was absolutelly genius though. I loved it and I knew exactly what it was. The Spider Guardian is one of my favorite bosses from Metroid Prime 2. The fact that you were able to replicate that in an SMBX level with the electric nodes is fantastic. I like the idea of the white sphere too. Great job.

Overall Score: 9/10

Juts fix those things up and this will surely be a ten in my books.

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:34 am

Yeah I do agree some things were graphically weird, but I had to work with what was presented ot me. Plus I had already bugged the shit out of Val to fix a lot of graphics for the level, so I chose not to bug him too much further.

HeroOfRhyme
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:34 am

Still could've used the fix for the grey doors at least. That's a big issue imo, a stuck issue.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:13 am

I am sorry for bumbing this thread, and I know I shoild probley Privet Message as303298 for the download, but I lost the file some time ago, and when I went to re-download it, It said he file expired and said to ask the the original uploader to re-upload the file. I am asking if anyone would be so Kind to re-Upload it for me! I was wanting ti re-try the issfight aince I finnaly 100%ed the game this level is replicating!

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:50 am

Thread locked because of expired download link! PM a level judge (like me) or a staff member with a non-sendspace download link.

Return to “The Best”