[SMBX2] Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space | TGTOS Reboot

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

[SMBX2] Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space | TGTOS Reboot

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:29 am

The Official 2021 Reboot of Toad Goes to Outer Space | By FNC2002 & Team Starshroom

ABOUT

Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space is a SMW-styled episode inspired by episodes like ATWE, Return to Dinosaur Land, Frozen, Super Mario Zeal, and more! Join Captain Toad and the Toad Brigade in their big space adventure as they race to stop Mars from colliding with Planet Earth! More details will follow below after we get a brief history of its older iteration, Toad Goes to Outer Space!

HISTORY
Once upon a time, I worked on Toad Goes to Outer Space since December 2013. It had this old cliche plot of Bowser kidnapping Peach as per usual, but this time he has a space station in addition to using Princess Peach as a life force to power up a laser beam to destroy Planet Earth. Levels followed a Super Mario Star Expedition format, meaning you have to collect a star and return to the hub room to progress further. The hubs were also bugged, meaning you'd have to do the intro all over again after you quit and reopen the episode!

But in 2014, I lost motivation working on it. I left a lot of levels unfinished! When I looked back around SMBX2's time, it definitely didn't live up to the new standards that SMBX2 has set. And especially since this is a legacy SMBX 1.3 project that didn't follow up to new standards with SMBX2 on the horizon, I've decided to completely cancel this first iteration of the project and rework the entire episode into a SMW-styled adventure with SMBX2 content!

The original TGTOS thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=485

STORYLINE
After Mario saved Princess Peach from Bowser's wedding on the Moon, peace was restored to Planet Earth once again. Our fellow plumbers and princesses went on a worldwide vacation across several kingdoms, and it's no doubt they've been enjoying the peace that was seemingly restored to them.

Or so do they believe. The Rainbow Exploration Agency has sent out a public service announcement around the world, and it's nothing more than bad news! Turns out they discovered that Planet Mars was pulled off from its orbit and is set on a collision course for Planet Earth! Strange things started happening across Earth, especially in the Mushroom Kingdom, as Mars gets very close to the home planet. As a result of these strange side effects, the Odyssey malfunctioned and is unable to fly our plumber heroes back to the Mushroom Kingdom just in time to stop the apocalypse!

All hope is not lost, though, when our fellow treasure-tracking adventurer, Captain Toad, has stepped forward to save the day! Equipped with Mario's spare jumping boots that Toadette has found for him somewhere, Captain Toad teams up with the Toad Brigade to reach Planet Mars and stop it from colliding with Earth. The journey may be a long and dangerous one for them, especially when a mysterious force gets in the way of their plans and forces the spaceship to crash, scattering all the Grand Stars, its main fuel source, across several nearby planets! It's up to Captain Toad and his fellow Toad Brigade members to find all the Grand Stars, race for Mars, and uncover who's been playing these apocalyptic cards all along!

PLANNED FEATURES
Spoiler: show
- No more Bowser-kidnaps-Peach plot! Save the entire PLANET EARTH from a collision course with Planet Mars!
- Playable Captain Toad! Ready for adventure! And he can jump!
- A new team of villains, including the great Captain Kadena!
- SMW-styled episode, with a modern take on the SMW artstyle that has cues from games like Super Cat Tales, Super Fowlst, and Dadish!
- No more star hubs. Meet a new world map using SMWmap by MrDoubleA!
- Brand new HUD! (Coded by Marioman2007)
- Green Stars! There's one per level. Can you find them all?
- About 28+ levels in base release
- Secret Captain Toad puzzle levels that feature the gameplay of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker! Beat the secret levels without jumping!
- Eight planets, including Earth and some returning planets from the old TGTOS like Planet Spore (Fungiforia) and Mechanical Planet!
- I'm tossing out the NSMB OST... in exchange for a fun, variety-full OST! Featuring music from Super Cat Tales, Kirby, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, SMWCentral originals, Dadish, and more!
- Rise of a CTGTOS Devteam - there's a new devteam that's working part-time on this episode. More details to come!
- I hid a statue somewhere
- Planned accessibility features such as invincibility, powerup deployments, and screen shake reduction.
- And more!
SCREENSHOTS
DISCLAIMER! These screenshots are made during development and some content or details may be prone to change!
Prologue - Earth
Tubular Tunnel Fun is my Choccy Con entry, and my first leeway back into the SMBX level-making groove! With it being the first time I've learned so much about SMBX2 and the PGE editor, I've decided to include it as part of the level line-up in Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space! The level's Choccy Con counterpart will also get a standalone release as well in the Levels subforum, with some fixes that'll be prepared for its CTGTOS counterpart as well.
VIDEOS

DISCORD
Looking forward to more development updates on this episode? CTGTOS now has its own Discord server, which you can check out here! You might find me sometimes posting concept art! You can also suggest your ideas and music stuff here.
CTGTOS Discord

SUPPORT THIS PROJECT
Feel free to copy and paste these in your forum signatures if you're actively following the project. More to come!

Simple Block

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=27392][img]https://i.imgur.com/GtrtvyS.png[/img][/url]

Also check out Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest!
Featuring over 25 puzzle levels with the no-jumping gameplay of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Prism Star Quest embarks Captain Toad on an adventure to obtain the Prism Star as a gift for Princess Peach's birthday, while fending off against the rivalry of raccoon thief Kuroku! This acts as a tech demo for the Captain Toad puzzle levels that are set to come in CTGTOS.
Last edited by FutureNyanCat on Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:02 am, edited 7 times in total.

iTom33ro
Goomba
Goomba

Re: [SMBX2] Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space - The TGTOS 2021 Reboot [Prologue!]

Postby iTom33ro » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:07 pm

This looks pretty good! Keep it up!

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything
Pronouns: he/him

Re: [SMBX2] Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space - The TGTOS 2021 Reboot [Prologue!]

Postby TheNightingale » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:52 pm

The screenshots look very good, I like the dark ambience of that level (it looks like all of the pictures are from the same level, am I correct?), and that storyline is very nice and different from the rest. Also, there's a part of it which is kind of similar to my old project's plot, Rosalina's Satellite! Best of luck with this.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:00 am

1di_Scroll wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:52 pm
The screenshots look very good, I like the dark ambience of that level (it looks like all of the pictures are from the same level, am I correct?), and that storyline is very nice and different from the rest. Also, there's a part of it which is kind of similar to my old project's plot, Rosalina's Satellite! Best of luck with this.
I appreciate the feedback! Also, both Tubular Tunnel Fun and that Elite Koopa level are actually separate levels. More to come!

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby TheNightingale » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:56 pm

FutureNyanCat2014 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:00 am
1di_Scroll wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:52 pm
I appreciate the feedback! Also, both Tubular Tunnel Fun and that Elite Koopa level are actually separate levels. More to come!
Oh alright. I will stay tuned with this project anyway!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:04 pm

NEW HUD! Designed by me and coded by Marioman2007:

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby TheNightingale » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:06 pm

FutureNyanCat2014 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:04 pm
NEW HUD! Designed by me and coded by Marioman2007:
I love it, great job to both of you. And that level looks very fun to play!

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Cuteness overload <3
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Luna » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:19 am

The episode looks really promising! The sizeable in the third screenshot doesn't fit in with the rest of the graphics, though.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:39 am

DerEric wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:19 am
The episode looks really promising! The sizeable in the third screenshot doesn't fit in with the rest of the graphics, though.
Note that the sizeable is a placeholder and has already been replaced.

BTW on another note, I'm planning a clouds level for this episode. I've got the gimmicks down, and now I just need to find the proper graphics. Will post proper updates when I get back to it after doing some Super Cat Wars stuff.

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:22 pm

those are some nifty lookin screenshots. excited to see more

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:44 pm

Here's a new sneakpeek of an upcoming level for this episode!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:41 am

NEW VIDEO showcasing most of my new level's first section. This one's slightly outdated!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:54 am

Since December 2021, I've started work on a snow-themed level that may or may not make it into CTGTOS. Here's an aesthetic test if you wanna check it out:

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Spriting

Postby SuperAlex » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:40 am

FutureNyanCat2014 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:54 am

Since December 2021, I've started work on a snow-themed level that may or may not make it into CTGTOS. Here's an aesthetic test if you wanna check it out:
Good Job, but It's better to fix cutoffs and replace SMW twister please Dont' give up in this you can put in your project

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:00 am

SuperAlex wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:40 am
Good Job, but It's better to fix cutoffs and replace SMW twister please Dont' give up in this you can put in your project
I'm on it with the cutoff fixing, this is the earliest screenshot I have of the level. I'll see what I can do when I get back to this project.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:56 am

New video is out! Showcasing part of a level I've recently completed - Summer Scavenging Hunt. Also new Boomerang Captain Toad sprites thanks to GlacialSiren484!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:35 am

UPDATE - Welcome to Spotcap City
I'm announcing formally on the forum page for CTGTOS, the addition of TOWN LEVELS! This is formatted in a similar fashion to the ones in the Super Cat Tales series. There is one town level per world/planet, and you can talk to NPCs there to learn more about each planet's backstory, and even meet some familiar faces. There are some interesting interactions to look forward to as well!

In that case, here are sneakpeeks of Spotcap City, which serves as the main town level of Planet Earth, the very first world. A majority of SMBX users make a cameo here, and this is where Captain Toad would eventually meet up with the Toad Brigade. Screenshots are posted below:
Some other changes!
- I completed 1-1 - Fighting Elites Patrolling the Greens and 1-4 - Summer Scavenging Hunt, these two Earth levels I've showcased earlier. 1-1 includes a new cutscene to accompany the miniboss of the level - Captain Kadena!
- I've added new death sound for Captain Toad himself, he now uses the death jingle from Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
- I have plans to update the screenshot repository when Earth is complete. I really need to get around to fixing it...

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: [SMBX2] Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space - May 28, 2022 Update

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sat May 28, 2022 4:24 am

Greetings everyone! I haven't updated this forum post in a while, as most updates have been placed into the CTGTOS Discord server and in the SMBX Discord. Here's the latest report for May 28, 2022:
- Swiveling Thundering Skies is complete!
- Highway to Oblivion, the fifth playable level for World 1, is 75% done. It still needs a certain NPC to complete it, but we're working on that.

Swiveling Thundering Skies
Highway to Oblivion

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:53 am

Nova Luna 900 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:43 am
(various words)
the worst part about this isn't even the spamming of expletives specifically it's that OP might've actually gotten excited to get more feedback on their project only to open the post and see this

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Spriting

Postby SuperAlex » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:54 pm

Nova Luna 900 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:48 pm
i will fucking kill you ass hole
HEY! insulting in this forum Will result in a permanent Ban

Return to “Projects”