Super Mario Fantasy (Fuyu & PROX) New Logo!

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
PROX
Banned

Super Mario Fantasy (Fuyu & PROX) New Logo!

Postby PROX » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:23 pm

Fuyu: The time has come to showcase what has been teased! If we showed some of our stuff to you then you know we're talking about you. We've been meaning to make this thread for the longest time ever, and I can't even begin to describe how painful the wait has been. Granted it may not seem like we're showing much, especially considering we've been at it for a full year now, but trust me, there is far more stuff behind the scenes like coding! It is my intent to put what little knowledge I have and will have of Lua to make this episode as unique AND fun as possible. And now some words from my partner.

PROX: Hello! I am so glad we're finally announcing this after so long! We've been very excited to showcase a lot of what we've done so far with this project for a while now! We both have been making solo episodes in the past, but we never got around to finishing them; however, we are committed to finishing this project! We've come a long way, and we aren't yet ready for a demo, but we're pretty close to releasing one; however, the date has not been decided yet. I'm sure you guys have noticed that I've been posting a lot in the WIP graphics showcase. The main things I've been working on are for the episode itself. I still plan on updating my pack, but the world map graphics won't be released until the episode is done so please don't ask me to release it early or attempt to rip it! Thank you! It is our intention to bring you the best episode you could possibly play on the forums.

MECHDRAGON777: I can honestly vouch for the epicness that you will see as the levels are quite fun in a lot of aspects, regardless of the type of player you are. Whether you like to play casually or if you like a challenge; this will be the right choice for you.

Story
After many failed attempts at conquering the Mushroom Kingdom, Bowser has disappeared and no news from him or his underlings is known. His castle in the badlands has been deserted for months and the traps that would put Mario or Luigi in difficult situations are no longer functional. Disregarding the situations that may unfold from these happenings Princess Peach receives an invitation for a one week vacation to the Apricot Kingdom, the neighboring kingdom on the opposite side of the Bean Bean Kingdom. It is hard to resist such a direct call when it comes from the kingdom best known for their summer resorts and parks attracting tourists world-wide, so why say no? iT Is wAiTiNg

Screenshots
LEVELS: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

OVERWORLD: show
ImageImage

GIFs
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
GFX like Tilesets & Backgrounds are subject to change.

Credits
Thanks to the following people for the stuff that you see on this thread so far:
  • Fuyu
  • PROX
  • MECHDRAGON777
  • Omega
  • Enjl
  • Sonikku
  • CrazyDev
  • MrDoubleA
Progress
Spoiler: show
WORLD 1
WORLD 2
WORLD 3
WORLD 4
WORLD 5
WORLD 6
WORLD 7
WORLD 8
EXTRA?
Support us!

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=26040][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/549414159192817680/853484422245253141/title3.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by PROX on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Kixubug
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: Super Mario Fantasy (Fuyu & PROX)

Postby Kixubug » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:46 pm

The project looks really amazing so far, I really like the graphics and level designs as well for the coding you guys did. I also find the plot to be pretty interesting. I'm trying to know if this project might be big, I'm really exciting to play this episode once it's the episode is finish, keep up the good work.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:15 pm

Huh.. I looked up and down the thread 5 times and couldn't see what I'm credited for. I realize it's probably something not showcased, but the wording is a bit weird in that case.
In any case, this looks pretty nifty, even if the palettes of all the custom stuff look a bit depressing. Keep it up!

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:15 pm
Huh.. I looked up and down the thread 5 times and couldn't see what I'm credited for. I realize it's probably something not showcased, but the wording is a bit weird in that case.
In any case, this looks pretty nifty, even if the palettes of all the custom stuff look a bit depressing. Keep it up!
NPCs such as the pokeys. Granted I know that you collaborated with someone else too. Also how are the palettes depressing? Granted there are a couple that I can see since they are pretty desaturated
Last edited by PROX on Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:14 pm

PROX wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 pm
Enjl wrote:
NPCs such as the pokeys. Granted I know that you collaborated with someone else too
I don't recall ever seeing those pokey sprites before, hm.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:16 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:14 pm
PROX wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 pm
Enjl wrote:
NPCs such as the pokeys. Granted I know that you collaborated with someone else too
I don't recall ever seeing those pokey sprites before, hm.
We're crediting you for the npc itself, not the sprite. I made the sprite lol

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:26 pm

PROX wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:16 pm
OH now it all makes sense haha. Thanks and sorry for derailing the thread for a short bit.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:31 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:26 pm
PROX wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:16 pm
OH now it all makes sense haha. Thanks and sorry for derailing the thread for a short bit.
no worries xD

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:53 am

Kixubug wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:46 pm
The project looks really amazing so far, I really like the graphics and level designs as well for the coding you guys did. I also find the plot to be pretty interesting. I'm trying to know if this project might be big, I'm really exciting to play this episode once it's the episode is finish, keep up the good work.
Sorry for the late reply, but yeah this project will have quite a bit of content in it. It's part of the reason why it's a collab. Stay tuned for future updates!

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:03 am

this is pretty neato, i do feel like the colors for the tilesets look a little... desaturated, but they do look pretty nice otherwise, great job and good luck with the project

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Oh boy I am curious to see how this one turns out!
I like how the project has a unique graphical style even if it's a bit too desaturated.
The levels also seem distinct from each other, at least visually, I hope the gameplay will be diverse too.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm noticing a lot of comments regarding some tilesets being desaturated and that's mainly due to some environments being darker such as rainy weather, or a dark house. Generally when there is less light, things tend to look a bit cooler in color, so it makes sense in those specific environments

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:31 pm

I am not seeing the desaturated colors in the desert or overworld tilesets myself.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:13 am

On the topic of semantics, I think regardless of what's happening the criticism doesn't go way if the techincalities are explained. Desaturation was probably the wrong term, that's correct. I'll attempt to find a better way to put it: either the hues are wrong or the hueshifts are too strong, which causes the entire thing to look at times hard on the eyes. It looks especially bad in the desert and on the world maps. I think on the world maps part of the issue may also be the sheer amount of contrast. I also see a bit of it on the edge of the ghost house goop.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:13 am
On the topic of semantics, I think regardless of what's happening the criticism doesn't go way if the techincalities are explained. Desaturation was probably the wrong term, that's correct. I'll attempt to find a better way to put it: either the hues are wrong or the hueshifts are too strong, which causes the entire thing to look at times hard on the eyes. It looks especially bad in the desert and on the world maps. I think on the world maps part of the issue may also be the sheer amount of contrast. I also see a bit of it on the edge of the ghost house goop.
I can kind of see where you're coming from in regards to contrast. I noticed some issues with the grass tileset in regard to that. Some colors blend and then there are some that pop out way too much. I can also understand regarding the desert that it looks very bright due to the contrast between the maroon and yellow. I'll definitely make some tweaks since back then I was still experimenting with hue shifting, but yeah, now that I look closer at it, I can definitely see it. We'll make some changes accordingly. I was already planning on tweaking the world map graphics some more, but at least I have a better idea of what to do with the colors now. I noticed before that you said that a lot of the colors looked depressing, and now you seem to be saying that the colors are too vibrant and contrasted, so I'll try to find the sweet spot there, but again, everyone's eyes are different lol.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:42 am

PROX wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 am
I noticed before that you said that a lot of the colors looked depressing, and now you seem to be saying that the colors are too vibrant and contrasted, so I'll try to find the sweet spot there, but again, everyone's eyes are different lol.
Ah.. sorry, that may have been very easy to misinterpret. They're kind of the same thing for me on opposite ends of the palette spectrum, like going too far in either direction looping around to being unpleasant. Most strikingly the heavy hueshifts with anti-aliasing remind me of a lot of custom SMW levels where such shading styles are utilized that lend the entire scene a very static, realistic and grim vibe, rather than a cheerful, dynamic and playful one. I hope that explains it well.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:59 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:42 am
PROX wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 am
I noticed before that you said that a lot of the colors looked depressing, and now you seem to be saying that the colors are too vibrant and contrasted, so I'll try to find the sweet spot there, but again, everyone's eyes are different lol.
Ah.. sorry, that may have been very easy to misinterpret. They're kind of the same thing for me on opposite ends of the palette spectrum, like going too far in either direction looping around to being unpleasant. Most strikingly the heavy hueshifts with anti-aliasing remind me of a lot of custom SMW levels where such shading styles are utilized that lend the entire scene a very static, realistic and grim vibe, rather than a cheerful, dynamic and playful one. I hope that explains it well.
ahhhh that makes way more sense now lol. So in essence, it's just the contrast. That shouldn't be too hard to fix then. Although, the realistic feel is what we were mainly going for, but not to the extremes that some SMW custom stuff seem to have. I know what you mean when I see hard blues transitioning into super vibrant yellows or greens.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything

Postby TheNightingale » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:44 am

Hey, this project looks pretty cool. It looks kinda similar to my project The Quest of the Dark Stars, maybe because it's also using a lot of PROX's graphics. I see there's a lot left, so good luck guys!

UnoffThrower
Bit
Bit

Postby UnoffThrower » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:36 pm

Looks like one of those good looking SMW hacks you would find in SMW Central, and I absolutely love it.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Lemme guess who's one of the many bosses of this WIP SMBX episode, Marx* from Kirby Superstar on (Super Nintendo)?

*Like in a actual SMW Rom Hack under the same name I saw many years ago on YouTube

Return to “Projects”