SMBX: Around the World (SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
MegaCDFan235
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

SMBX: Around the World (SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 pm

This project is suspended until further notice.
Why?: show
MegaCDFan235 wrote:I've been talking with someone on Discord about this, and I have come to the conclusion, even before talking with him, that I'm probably not going to finish this project too soon.
In fact, it might even be abandoned. Given the fact that I seemed to have lost interest in SMBX and the fact I'm working on fanprojects that don't have anything to do with Nintendo, I see it as 'inconclusive'.
I hope I can finish this project, but again, given my lack of interest, it's not going to happen soon.
One major thing about this project that made me lose interest is the alternate history.
I look back at it, and its terrible.
If I were to polish up this project, it'd probably be VERY different from the original plan.
And same goes for the alternate history.
In fact, it might even end up following a DIFFERENT alternate history if I polish it up for public release.
So there. Either this project goes in the bin, or it's gonna take another 5 years or so until it gets a public release which would be VERY different from now.
And when I mean very different, I mean things like the levels, the plot, the worlds, possibly even the name.
For example, Canada's Canadian (sounds dumb but bare with me here) levels would probably end up going to Alaska instead, as the timeline would make Canada non-existent and annexed to Alaska.
Another change is that Canada's American levels would get rethemed to some other world or scrapped.
The New York levels, for example, would probably be scrapped.
Many of these changes would be linked to the alternate history's changes.
Not all of these are.
For example, I might change how the characters get to nations. Rather than essentially walking straight to them, maybe they'll take a few more flights or cruises to different nations.
One slight inaccuracy with the article as of typing is that it lists the USA as the final world.
That isn't true.
If you've read the alternate history itself, it'd actually be a Viacom-ruled nation that is the final world.
This is probably going to be scrapped, assuming this project gets done and I have enough interest in it.
The gist of the whole Viacom thing is that Viacom took over the USA and made the lands suck.
That oily canyon, the oily city and the oil factory I showed in screenshots earlier?
Those were Viacom screenshots.
Oil is absolutely everywhere in Viacom.
There was one Cheep-Cheep in the oil factory that you could talk to, and it cried for you to put it in water, but not salt water.
Also related, believe it or not, was the Polybius teaser in an old screenshot.
Remember when I showed a screenshot of what would be a Polybius-themed level for the game? Polybius being the non-existent arcade game?
That was Viacom-related.
You see, as of typing, in the alt-history, Viacom actually founded Sinnesloschen to control the minds of young children and have them join Viacom in their future to take over the world or something like that.
They aren't very fluent in German, hence Sinnesloschen (it's a mangled German word).
The Polybius level was supposed to be one of the final levels in the game.
This is also probably going to be scrapped along with the 'Viacom is the bad guys' shtick.
I'm revealing this because, one more time, these are not going to last long. The levels themselves will probably get redesigns as well.
Also what I've noticed in the current state of the project is that there's swearing. I didn't plan swearing at first, but it kinda trickled its way into the current state.
That's probably another thing to get scrapped.
Last I remember working on the project, I created a large map for Hawaii and implemented some sort of Terraria reference in Jamaica in an unfinished state.
I also considered making Hawaii the first world and not Alaska. That didn't happen, however.
I even considered adding giant P-Switches, the Oceania one being in Hawaii and actually having a level designed for it.
I may have made a few other changes to the levels to commemorate SMBX2 MAGLX and PAL being released.
Otherwise, not much progress.
Maybe I'll release some demo or something that contains levels which were made for the game (they aren't finished, that's for sure), but I'm going to be suspending this project until further notice.
For anyone wondering, Yuri will still be a thing. His special ability might get a bugfix, though I'm not an expert in Lua, so I might need help with that.
In the meantime, I may release a demo of another SMBX project I was working on that seems to be equally dormant; A Typical SMBX Episode.
Thank all of you who supported this project for your help.
ORIGINAL ARTICLE: show

Introducing SMBX: Around the World! Possibly one of the first SMBX projects with most of the levels conforming to (mostly) realistic designs!

PLOT: show
The Mushroom Kingdom was peaceful, like usual, and Bowser had barely any plans on stealing Peach today. But there was still a strike on the Mushroom Kingdom! A couple Toads had to build a pipe to Earth, and fast! They did, and with that, Mario and Luigi dashed into the pipe. They ended up in western Alaska, which is a nation here in this games timeline. Then they learned that Earth is endangered by an unknown power, so Mario, Luigi, and a new sentient bomb character named Yuri (which Mario and Luigi call a Bob-Omb) that Mario and Luigi recently met now have to save the world.
Hold on, timeline?: show
Yes, this is apparently a mix between alternate history, the Mario Bros. (and a third playable character) travelling the world, and an SMBX episode. Weird, I know. For example, Great Britain and Ireland are two separate worlds in the game, and Great Britain is not the entire U.K here, and is merely just the island to the right of Ireland. (England, Scotland, and Wales) See here for the alternate timeline itself.
Any other info?: show
Yes, here's some more info:
  • Peach and Link will be blocked, as they cannot spin-jump and even Link cannot complete some levels, as he can't down-sword a lot of enemies.
  • SMB3 16-bit and SMW will be the main styles for this episode, as SMB2 and SMB1 don't offer very much assets for realism, and YI is just very difficult to use with SMBX.
  • There will be alternate paths diverging from other countries/areas, which you can use to access other areas early, or access entirely new areas that are not in the main path.
  • It's possible that there might be either a HUB world, a world map, or a menu to access all the levels and worlds.
  • There will be DLC, including the Extra Worlds DLC, which does exactly what it says on the tin.
  • For even more information, the project's wiki page is here.
List of worlds in the game, ordered by regular path: show
  1. Alaska (2 levels in progress)
  2. Canada (Five levels in progress)
  3. Bermuda (1 level almost done)
  4. Cuba (not yet started)
  5. Jamaica (one level in a bit of progress)
  6. Brazil (1 level in progress, but it isn't a level Mario will be taking)
  7. Peru (2 in progress)
  8. New Zealand (attempting a restart of this world)
  9. Australia (1 level in progress)
  10. Madagascar (not yet starter)
  11. Africa (1 level in a tiny bit of progress)
  12. Egypt (2 levels in progress)
  13. Italy (not yet started)
  14. France (not yet started)
  15. Ireland (one level work-in-progress)
  16. Great Britain (includes England and Scotland, with one level being worked on for England and two other levels being worked on for Scotland.)
  17. Netherlands (one level in progress)
  18. Germany (barely started)
  19. Denmark (not significantly started)
  20. Poland (one level set in space being worked on, because those other guys said "Poland cannot into space.", so I decided to set a Poland level in space due to that)
  21. Czechoslovakia (in this timeline, Czechoslovakia never broke up, although some of Slovakia was still annexed to Ukraine, this world is not yet started)
  22. Ukraine (one level complete, another one in progress)
  23. Russia (if you do a certain chain of things, Russia might have repeats of Alaska's levels, but harder, this world is not yet started, however there are already ideas)
  24. China (not too much started)
  25. North and South Korea (North Korea not yet started, one level in progress for South Korea)
  26. Japan (two levels are being worked on, one is nearly complete)
  27. Pacific Ocean (not yet started)
  28. Hawaii (one level complete, two in progress)
  29. Mexico (barely started)
  30. United States (three levels being worked on, one unsatisfying level, which is the next-to-last level, being reworked)
Worlds considered for Extra Worlds DLC: show
  1. Chile (not yet started)
  2. Antarctica (right now, radically different from the rest of the game, with one level pretty much complete and another might possibly needing a rework, and another level only getting started)
  3. Spain (not yet started, although it'll share a hub with Portugal)
  4. Portugal (after all, we can't just have Brazil as the only area visited in this episode to use Portuguese as the main language, we gotta recognize the language's roots)
  5. Atlantic Ocean/Atlantis (only two levels are being worked on, intended to play a bit more like the actual Mario games, due to this world being set in the ocean)
  6. Romania (a dark castle?)
  7. Wales (might be a subworld of Great Britain, not started)
  8. India (not yet started)
  9. Vietnam (not yet started)
  10. Israel (one level in progress)
Downloads: show
Canada Demo 1:

Americas Screenshots: show
Alaska:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Canada:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Jamaica:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Brazil: (the level shown is only supposed to be played through with Luigi and Yuri)
Image Image Image Image
North America HUB:
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Greenland:
Oceania Screenshots: show
Australia:
Hawaii:
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
African Screenshots: show
Egypt:
Eurasian Screenshots: show
Ireland:
England:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Scotland:
Netherlands:
Poland:
Image Image Image Image
Europe HUB:
Image Image
Israel:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Misc. Screenshots: show
Atlantic Ocean:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Antarctica:
Main HUB World:
Image Image
Classic Mode:
Image Image Image Image
GIFS: show
Image Image
Legacy Screenshots: show
Alaska:
Canada:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Brazil:
Image Image
Jamaica:
Image Image Image
Greenland:
Image Image
Australia:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Egypt:
England:
Scotland:
Image Image Image Image
Netherlands:
Image Image Image
Poland:
Image Image Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Legacy GIFs: show
Image Image Image Image
Stuff you should expect in most levels: show
  • Flags
  • Realistic design choices
  • Two types of checkpoints (SMW checkpoints and Sonic the Hedgehog checkpoints)
  • Some bosses
  • In last levels of each world: Stars to move on to the next world
  • People to talk to (will talk in the area's native language; for example, an NPC in France will speak French)
Credits: show
Everyone who made every asset (nation flags are custom-inserted by me, and there might be more stuff that I drew and/or I edited), and everyone who designed every flag, and possibly more.
Appliances: show
You can apply for:
  • Level Designer (Level designers will have to get the beta testers to test the levels)
  • Graphic Designer
  • Translator (a necessity, especially during the last era of development)
  • Map Designer (there might not be a world map and it might be a hub-styled episode instead, but there might be a world map, I don't know yet)
  • Beta Testers
You can apply for these jobs by direct-messaging me.
Current Appliances:
  • Level Designers: MegaCDFan, AndrewPixel
  • Graphic Designers: MegaCDFan, PixelPest (flags)
  • Translators: MegaCDFan, 8lueStorm, AndrewPixel, goSciu
  • Map Designers: MegaCDFan
  • Beta Testers: MegaCDFan, AndrewPixel, Cedur, Cidro
CLAIMS LIST: show
  • Alaska 1
  • Alaska 2
  • Alaska 3
  • Canada 1
  • Canada 2
  • Canada 3
  • Canada 7
  • Canada 10
  • Cuba 1-4
  • Jamaica 3
  • Brazil 2
  • Brazil 3
  • Peru 2
  • Australia 2 and 3
  • Africa 1
  • Egypt 5
  • Italy 1 to 4 (AndrewPixel might take one of these levels)
  • France 1 to 3
  • Ireland 1 to 5
  • England 1
  • Scotland 3
  • Netherlands 4
  • Germany 1
  • Poland 2
  • Russia 1
  • China 4
  • Hawaii 4 (I have decided to change the level number of the user-made Hawaii level as Hawaii 2 didn't seem to go as well as I thought it would with the assets)
Private-message me or any beta tester a download link to your level so the beta testers can, well, test the level, but also analyze your level for consideration into the game. If it is declined, then you have to either redo the level from scratch or have someone else do the level instead. Please make these levels in either SMBX 1.3 (1.3.0.1 is the basically same thing but with higher quality audio and more sizables) or SMBX 2.0 Beta 3. SMBX 1.4/38A is not allowed and will make the project very incompatible.

Put this in your signature if you support this project:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=20869&p=317058][img]https://i.imgur.com/Vdyxdba.png[/img][/url]

You can also put these in your signature (or even your profile picture if you really support the project) if you support this project:

[url=https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=20869&p=317058][img]https://i.imgur.com/sHEtLXu.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=20869&p=317058][img]https://i.imgur.com/jjAVA3o.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by MegaCDFan235 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 39 times in total.

WildWEEGEE
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: C# more like Db
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SMBX: Around the World (working title)

Postby WildWEEGEE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:56 pm

This actually isn’t horrible I really like it!

I’m gonna think about level designing after I’m done smb1x business

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm

Re: SMBX: Around the World (working title)

Postby 8lue Storm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm

I would usually get mad because you did Brazil "all-jungle", but I'm not. After all, our fauna and flora are one of the best things we have to offer, as well as our variety.
I can apply as a translator because (duh) I know Brazillian Portuguese.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Re: SMBX: Around the World (alternate-history-travel-around-Earth type SMBX episode)

Postby Eri7 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:14 am

This looks very interesting but why did u decide to leave out Eastern Europe? It makes me a bit disappointed that there won't be at least one level set in my home country Bulgaria.

Westretroman
Eerie
Eerie

Re: SMBX: Around the World (alternate-history-travel-around-Earth type SMBX episode)

Postby Westretroman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:31 am

This is really good! I have to question the fact of why you have two different types of checkpoint, I like Sonic too, but it isn't necessary. The knife guys in England, make no sense, as I wouldn't expect knife guys in a country like that, the axe guys make sense, because Vikings once invaded England. Also, a minor complaint, I am not fond of the hub selection for levels instead of world map, but its okay, because recreating an entire world map takes time.
Make sure to do extensive research or people of those foreign countries will not be happy. :)

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:11 am

Looks promising. Did you take some inspiration from the Russian bootleg: Mario 3: Around the World?

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Flair: anemoia

Postby Akromaly » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:59 am

Hey, this is a really curious project, in fact I'm curious to see where it will go.
I'm not sure, but I could help with translation (but notice that usually SMBX episodes aren't translated), beta testing and (maybe) with one of the Italy levels.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 am

This is now my new favourite episode of all time because Denmark is one of the worlds.

In all seriousness, this looks really promising! Keep it up!

MegaCDFan235
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:52 am

Eri7 wrote:This looks very interesting but why did u decide to leave out Eastern Europe? It makes me a bit disappointed that there won't be at least one level set in my home country Bulgaria.
Russia, Ukraine, Poland and Czechoslovakia (remember that this game takes place in an alternate timeline) are going to be in the game.
MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:Looks promising. Did you take some inspiration from the Russian bootleg: Mario 3: Around the World?
Sort of. It's more like "Mario is Missing meets an alternate history and it's fun"
Westretroman wrote:This is really good! I have to question the fact of why you have two different types of checkpoint, I like Sonic too, but it isn't necessary. The knife guys in England, make no sense, as I wouldn't expect knife guys in a country like that, the axe guys make sense, because Vikings once invaded England. Also, a minor complaint, I am not fond of the hub selection for levels instead of world map, but its okay, because recreating an entire world map takes time.
Make sure to do extensive research or people of those foreign countries will not be happy. :)
1. Sort of a random thing I decided on because if a level might involve going pretty fast, it's more likely to have a Sonic checkpoint.
2. I was trying to think really medieval for one level, which is the third level. The first level is to take place in London (because of course it will).
3. There is actually both a HUB and a world map as of typing, but the world map would rely on HUBs for countries that are too small to fit multiple levels inside (i.e; France, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Portugal), and the fact that I attempted to use big tiles, but they wouldn't really show up in the game, which is why I might do something else or make a "composite" map where certain tiles are used for continents and blank blue tiles (read: the water) would be used for the rest.

Gremonow
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Gremonow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Eri7 wrote:This looks very interesting but why did u decide to leave out Eastern Europe? It makes me a bit disappointed that there won't be at least one level set in my home country Bulgaria.
Hah, or Hungary bro :D ;)

WildWEEGEE
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby WildWEEGEE » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:59 pm

I want to world map design but.... it would be really hard to replicate the actual planet in such a way

MegaCDFan235
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

update.gif

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 pm

New screenshots to the Hawaii section have been added, and also a new section for GIF demos of certain levels.
NEW SCREENSHOTS: show
NOTE: These GIFs are not the complete levels, only just bits and pieces of them that have been worked on as of typing.
England: show
HUB World (includes Europe hub and North America hub): show
Atlantic Ocean: show

WildWEEGEE
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby WildWEEGEE » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:14 pm

The random floors under the actual ground look weird

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Radiance » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 am

RIP Philippines

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that there are no trees in Antartica.

MegaCDFan235
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:06 am

Radiance wrote:RIP Philippines

Antarctica is likely not going to be in the game, due to it's radical differences (of the mood, that is) to the rest of the entire game that make it fit more into another project which is less serious of tone. This is due to the world layout and how you go from one world to the other, which actually changed from a earlier, less realistic variant with Antarctica as one of the worlds. The current layout does not include Antarctica, because of the aforementioned mood differences.
Later on down the project's development, there will be a poll asking users which country they want to see in the game. The Philippines might be one of those options.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:27 pm

MegaCDFan235 wrote:
Radiance wrote:RIP Philippines

Antarctica is likely not going to be in the game, due to it's radical differences (of the mood, that is) to the rest of the entire game that make it fit more into another project which is less serious of tone. This is due to the world layout and how you go from one world to the other, which actually changed from a earlier, less realistic variant with Antarctica as one of the worlds. The current layout does not include Antarctica, because of the aforementioned mood differences.
Later on down the project's development, there will be a poll asking users which country they want to see in the game. The Philippines might be one of those options.
I hope Bulgaria becomes an option but I doubt that , at least other country's have the chance to be in your amazing project.

xDestroy
Nipper
Nipper

Re: update.gif

Postby xDestroy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:23 am

MegaCDFan235 wrote:New screenshots to the Hawaii section have been added, and also a new section for GIF demos of certain levels.
NEW SCREENSHOTS: show
NOTE: These GIFs are not the complete levels, only just bits and pieces of them that have been worked on as of typing.
England: show
HUB World (includes Europe hub and North America hub): show
Atlantic Ocean: show
The waterfall in the new screenshots section clashes with the rest of the atmosphere, as it is a smw themed level using smb3 waterfalls.
Plus, the waterfalls are not even recolored to the dark smw water.

MegaCDFan235
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Re: St. Patrick's Update

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Another update.
This one is on St. Patrick's Day, so why not introduce this update with our good old friend....Ireland!
IRELAND SCREENSHOTS: show
Image Image Image
This is the only level of Ireland that has been made as of now. It's still a start, though.
Our next country to make it into SMBX: Around the World is....Poland.
And unlike what those other guys say, Poland can indeed into space.
Want proof? Here.
POLAND SCREENSHOTS: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
See? Poland has already made it into space.
Another country we are going to see is Australia.
And here are the screenshots of the one level that has been made for Australia: (Don't worry, Australia isn't completely like this, and neither are most of the other worlds only like what's shown in available screenshots)
AUSTRALIA SCREENSHOTS: show
ImageImageImageImageImage
We are also going to revisit Hawaii, with a little update on the SMW-styled level.
DIFFERENCES: show
The clouds with eyes are gone.
The waterfall has now been recolored to match the style of the rest of the level.
The mushroom platforms are gone and replace with more sand, as well as the Volcano Lotus being placed lower, and a Magikoopa taking the place of the Galoomba/SMW Goomba/whatever you call it.
Not much else really changed. Let's just move on.
You can now vote for what country you really want to see represented in SMBX: ATW, with the poll on top of the OP.
That is all. Until then, have a happy St. Patrick's Day!

Westretroman
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Westretroman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:22 pm

The problem with the beach tiles under the sand where the lotus is, is still a problem. Couldn't you just make sizeables instead, it looks weird with cutoff floor tiles.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Those flags need a little bit of work. I'd be happy to do some better sprites for you

Return to “Projects”