Rosalina's Satellite (RESTARTING!)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything
Pronouns: he/him

Rosalina's Satellite (RESTARTING!)

Postby TheNightingale » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 am

It's not being cancelled nor restarted from scratch. I'm doing a whole episode with the small progress we had and it's coming in a few months. I won't reveal much of it until its release, but if people dislikes it because of the cramped levels well whatever.
old post: show

About:
Here's my second project! It's inspired in Super Mario Galaxy, taking some features from it. There's also inspiration from the famous SMBX episode 'New Super Mario Galaxy X'!
Plot: (Last updated: 13/03/19)
Peach was in her castle, showing to Mario a big and bright star, that the Mushroom Kingdom people found. Suddenly, a loud and strange noise sounds, and Peach ran scared outside of the castle to see what was going on, while Mario stayed inside. What was happening? Bowser was flying above the castle with his Clown Car! He wants to steal the castle stars! Bowser was attracting every star with a strange magic force to inside of the Clown Car. However, Mario was attracted too, and Bowser did not realize, since he was in the center of the castle, where the biggest star was. After stealing the stars and accidentally Mario, Bowser go up to space. Rosalina, having heard of the robbery, goes after the thief in her comet observatory. She, however is defeated by the villain. He takes the staff from Rosalina and then it is revealed to him that all of the younger Luma's will now obey his command. The observatory then crashes onto the satellite. Here, she encounters (by mere coincidence) Mario. The two then set out to each take back what Bowser stole from them.
Features: (Last updated: 24/04/19)
- Two playables: Mario and Rosalina (replacing Peach).
- The project is being made in SMBX 1.3.0.1.
- The satellite mentioned in the plot will be the hub and the players will spawn there once joining the episode. It's used to join to galaxies and bonus levels through doors. The hub has 5 rooms, each one with 6 galaxies. There's also a separated room in the top of the satellite for the last galaxy (which is also separated from the others so it has no missions) and it has the final boss. I still don't have screenshots from the satellite but I will post some once it's ready.
- 30 galaxies with different themes. Each one has two missions (like minigames and collectathons), one boss and a world map to join to them. Every mission level has an objective and these should be completed to get a secret star and unlock the next mission. If the level is completed without the objective, the exit will be a SMB2 exit instead, and it will just lead to the worldmap without unlocking any other mission. The bosses are different per galaxy and defeating them will give to the player a big star as a reward. Then after collecting all 3 stars of a galaxy, the next one will be unlocked. The last is the Bowser's Lava Galaxy and it includes the final boss.
- A seperated room with minigames and random levels (there are the bonus levels included on the first demo, which are now labeled "planets") is now planned!
- A hidden comet medal per galaxy to unlock comet levels!
Screenshots: (Last updated: 18/04/19)
Spoiler: show

Demos: (Last updated 08/02/19)
- Bonus levels: It includes all of the bonus levels showed in the screenshots, gathered in a world map similar to the mission selection screen. In the episode these levels will appear each one in a different room of the hub. Sorry if the custom end game sound scares someone. :lol:
Download link: https://mega.nz/#!4VZhDYxB!fQqLD4GrWVXt ... xWAklIGHwE (Fixed a lot of bugs that I found on the previous file)
(IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THIS DEMO: This project used to be developed in SMBX 2.0 but I downgraded to 1.3.0.1 because of some reasons that I explained on other topic. This demo was released before I took that decision so it uses a few SMBX 2.0 specific features despite the project is actually being developed in SMBX 1.3.0.1)
Team: (Last updated 14/04/19)
- VanillaDude (A.K.A Surtur): Project leader, any role.
- ThePieSkyHigh: Level designer.
- LGLMAKING: Boss designer.
- Springy: Level designer.
- AidenLingen: Level designer/beta tester.
- Sonix: Hub designer/beta tester.
- MmmMario (A.K.A TawPawNaw): Beta tester.
If you want to join the team, just let me know and I'll make you a test to see if you fit for the position that you're willing to be in.
Discord server:
This server is dedicated to the development of the project: https://discord.gg/rCvCjE7
Credits: (Last updated: 14/04/19)
- Logo creator: AndrewPixel.
- Graphics: SMBX Community GFX Pack; Sednaiur's SMB1, SMB2, SMB3 and SMW Expanded GFX Packs; Shikaternia's SMB3 Tileset Pack; Lx Xzit's GFX Pack.

Thanks for reading!
Remember that I update this topic often, so if you think you are losing something, just check the "last time edited" below!

Last edited by TheNightingale on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:00 am, edited 90 times in total.

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Cuteness overload <3
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Rosalina's Satellite

Postby Luna » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 am

I like it! The screenshots are a little bit cluttered though.
Last edited by Luna on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby TheNightingale » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Ludwig_von Koopa wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 am
I like it!The screenshots are a little bit messy though.
Thanks but, what do you mean by messy?

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:46 pm

You should make the colors of the beach tileset less bright, it hurted my eyes when I saw it

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:45 pm

What makes these levels their own galaxies? They just look too regular for me to accept them as their own galaxies...

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby TheNightingale » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:46 pm
You should make the colors of the beach tileset less bright, it hurted my eyes when I saw it
Hmm... You're right. Maybe I could look for another in the community GFX pack? (from there comes the graphics I use) If not I will go for the default tileset. I will post an updated screenshot later. Thanks for the advice!
Eri7 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:45 pm
What makes these levels their own galaxies? They just look too regular for me to accept them as their own galaxies...
The plot explains it, all the stars went to different galaxies, and each level has a star, so they would be considered as the galaxies.

MmmMario
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Yeet

Postby MmmMario » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:14 pm

You understand that Rosalina is a playable in 2.0? You don't need to replace her with Peach.

Ace
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Ace » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:49 pm

MmmMario wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:14 pm
You understand that Rosalina is a playable in 2.0? You don't need to replace her with Peach.
2.0 playable characters are planned to undergo some changes, so in the long term it may not be the best idea to plan a whole episode around their β3 versions. This is to say that the episode should probably be designed around keeping her as a peach replacement, at least for the time being.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby TheNightingale » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 am

Yeah exactly what Ace said

Also there are a couple of updated screenshots of the beach level ImageImage
I removed the custom tileset but I kept the sand BGOs. The old screenshots were replaced by these in the main post.

EDIT: I just realized that a block is missing in the underwater section, the screenshot looks like that but the level has the block´
Last edited by TheNightingale on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby TheNightingale » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:34 pm

New screenshot!
DELETED SCREENSHOT

Note: When there's a new screenshot, I will post it separately (like now) but I will add it to the main post as well.
Last edited by TheNightingale on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ThePieSkyHigh
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: eat trash, die fast

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Hey.

Sorry.

Yea, I told you what happened... feel free to assume!....

Looks like your very steady with this.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby TheNightingale » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:11 pm

New screenshot!
DELETED SCREENSHOT
Last edited by TheNightingale on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThePieSkyHigh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:59 pm

I like it! :)

LGLMAKING
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: H E X
Pronouns: ask for pronouns

Postby LGLMAKING » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:11 am

Eh, I thought that if it is kind of based on SMG, each level should rather have multiple stars as collectibles. Without too much effort, you could recreate the mission system with a world map and a single level. I could explain in detail if you would let me.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby TheNightingale » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:24 am

LGLMAKING wrote: I could explain in detail if you would let me.
Go ahead

ThePieSkyHigh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:27 am

LGLMAKING wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:11 am
Eh, I thought that if it is kind of based on SMG, each level should rather have multiple stars as collectibles. Without too much effort, you could recreate the mission system with a world map and a single level. I could explain in detail if you would let me.
I agree, so are you saying there should be a hub with doors leading to galaxies with smw stars scattered around and only 1 star that ends the level? (Being the most direct and easy to get)

Not that I'm helping because I don't have my laptop yet, but have I seen this done before? Star expedition I think

It's a good idea

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby TheNightingale » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:30 am

ThePieSkyHigh wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:27 am
LGLMAKING wrote:
I agree, so are you saying there should be a hub with doors leading to galaxies with smw stars scattered around and only 1 star that ends the level? (Being the most direct and easy to get)

Not that I'm helping because I don't have my laptop yet, but have I seen this done before? Star expedition I think

It's a good idea
Yeah, maybe I could replace the dragon coins (I have 5 in each level) for the SMW stars? And the big star to end the level? Also I could put some lumas with useful messages. That would fit more the SMG style.

ThePieSkyHigh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:33 am

Valtteri (forgive me if I butchered your username) has the grand star replacing the smb3 star in his GFX,

Just saying.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby TheNightingale » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:39 am

ThePieSkyHigh wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:33 am
Valtteri (forgive me if I butchered your username) has the grand star replacing the smb3 star in his GFX,

Just saying.
Interesting. I will use it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

LGLMAKING
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: H E X
Pronouns: ask for pronouns

Postby LGLMAKING » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:26 am

VanillaDude wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:30 am
ThePieSkyHigh wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:27 am
LGLMAKING wrote:

It's a good idea
Yeah, maybe I could replace the dragon coins (I have 5 in each level) for the SMW stars? And the big star to end the level? Also I could put some lumas with useful messages. That would fit more the SMG style.
I don't think it would be a good idea to replace all five dragon coins with SMW stars, is it would render the main objectives useless. Rather, place lots of coins in the bonus areas which originally contained dragon coins. Or you can place launch star pieces or (in some levels) silver stars. Use normal stars for the main objectives and grand stars (which I will explain later) for major boss levels.

You could use domes. On the main hub you could have door warps leading to other levels. These levels are the domes. In the domes you can touch an instant warp shown as a pull star to another room. Upon entering this room you touch a fairy pendant and toggle the pull star in the previous room. In this room you have an instant warp in the center of the room, shown as the hub itself. Touching it will take you back to the hub. Around it you have circling on layers warps (which each require a certain amount of stars) to the world maps. Each world map is the mission selection screen for the corresponding galaxy.

Is something not clear? Please notify me.

Return to “Projects”