Moondust Project thread [Support moved]

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.5, Engine v0.2.2.4)

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:20 pm

Trace42 wrote:i have a problem, it never seems to install sdl2.mixer.ext.dll, is there something im doing wrong?
That must be included with new archives, or I will send that file when I will return to home. Try to download latest lunalua and copy missed sdl mixer ext from archive to pge. I used same library for both projects

Trace
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.5, Engine v0.2.2.4)

Postby Trace » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Trace42 wrote:i have a problem, it never seems to install sdl2.mixer.ext.dll, is there something im doing wrong?
That must be included with new archives, or I will send that file when I will return to home. Try to download latest lunalua and copy missed sdl mixer ext from archive to pge. I used same library for both projects
ah yes, thank you! it worked, now the test with smbx feature works too. now i can finally use pge without problems.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.5, Engine v0.2.3.0)

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:27 pm

New experimental update of the engine part - 0.2.3.0!

- Now it's not a child toy, real live! that means, playable character will get hurt (each level you have 3 HP, with no repair yet) when it contacts with dangerous surfaces or enemies, and no more can whip everything. However I'v made debug sub-system where you able to press "~" key and type a special command - cheat code. You will be able to: fly up, whip evrything, to be a god! (P.S> don't worry if player will get hurt from wrong side of horizontal SMB3-spikes, that mine mistake in a config file which I will apply globally later)
- NPC's are talkable now, so, "talk" event is working.
- Experimental support of slopes! Player now able walk on slopes correctly, BUT how I warned, it's experimental: player can't slide on them, to jump player should be faced slope-up or be idle while faced to slope-down.
- Engine has controllable VSync! If you has a good video, you will have smooth and fast animation. If you has no installed drivers or you are has bad video card, you will be able to play games/levels on PGE Engine without VSync, but you need to configure "time of tick" yourself to get best view/performance for your screen! Note: if VSync is enabled, time of tick calculating automatically from your actulal monitor refresh rate. If you wanna faster screen, feel free to open control panel and change frequency of your monitor to maximal available rate. (most popular 60 hz but modern monitors are able to have 75 or even 80 hz and faster!).

Changelog 0.2.3.0
Spoiler: show
- Text Input dialog box has been completely implemented
- Cheating features are been moved into cheat environment and can be used only after typing of special commands by "~" key clicking
- Playable character can be harmed by dangerouse surfaces and will die in lava
- Experimental support of slopes
- Player can talk with NPC's
- better work of collisions, but some things are still experimental
- better V-Sync control
Also the configuration packages are has some updates:
- All Piranha plants now are has 16x16 grid size unlike SMBX where most of piranha plants are had 32x32 grid size!
- Working SMB1-elevators!
- A2XT config pack has got update of music and some graphics stuff since SAJewers's update of dev-kit!

Editor's version is same, but it has minor updates:
- in the Image Export dialogs has been added "2x", "1x" and "0.5x" auto-size buttons which will help you to quickly use 1/2 of screenshot size or make wide screenshot of a small area, etc.
- Level editor has context menu in the empty area! So, you can press right mouse button in the empty space and you will be able to quickly open section settings box or level properties box too. If you has a with, I will proxy most of level editing menus to this context menu to make usage of them more convenient
- Fixed a bug of the LVLX writer which causes losing of "onActivated" event trigger field value on file saving

All download links on the main post or on the mainpage are has updated PGE components!
You also can use online installer to retrieve all PGE components in one run (PGE core and config packs)

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:04 am

Uhhm great editor, allready way better then smbx (If only because of ctrl-Z and copy/paste)
But that spelling and grammar though
I know this is only a minor complaint but i would advice to fix stuff like "sLeel bridge" instead of "sTeel bridge"
Also there are many more of that kind of mistakes there.
Let alone the message you get when you reload your level

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:06 am

witchking666 wrote:Uhhm great editor, allready way better then smbx (If only because of ctrl-Z and copy/paste)
But that spelling and grammar though
I know this is only a minor complaint but i would advice to fix stuff like "sLeel bridge" instead of "sTeel bridge"
Also there are many more of that kind of mistakes there.
Let alone the message you get when you reload your level
All item-names are part of lvl_blocks.ini, lvl_bgo.ini, lvl_npc.ini, etc. inside configs/<name of config>/ folder. You need a notepad++ or akelpad to correctly edit those INI files. Anyway thanks for report about spelling mistakes:
- I'm not native English
- Human factor - main source of typos ;) , even that is native English speaker

EDIT: that mistake has been fixed and will be applied in next update of my SMBX-based config packs: https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... 6cef610f4f

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Maybe you could add a custom sound effect option, that'd be really nice.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:58 pm

Ludwig von Koopa wrote:Maybe you could add a custom sound effect option, that'd be really nice.
Yea, I have a plan to add that, but inside special action-style events box which will be PGE specific and "Classic events" box made especially for those smbx events which in total has been designed ineffectively: you have a lot of shit in each event entry which you don't need while you wanna dobalone small action, include unbreakable triggering event chains.

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:21 pm

And you should definatly add world map layers & events aswell as making custom music on worldmaps possible

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:25 pm

witchking666 wrote:And you should definatly add world map layers & events aswell as making custom music on worldmaps possible
for what do you need layers and events in a worldmap?
anyway, the worldmap custom music is definitely a great idea!, I'd love to see NSMBW map music and stuff like that.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Ludwig von Koopa wrote:
witchking666 wrote:And you should definatly add world map layers & events aswell as making custom music on worldmaps possible
anyway, the worldmap custom music is definitely a great idea!, I'd love to see NSMBW map music and stuff like that.
1) Custom music on world map is already implemented in latest PGE and will work with *.WLDX files
2) Layers and events on the world map are would work via triggers "level XXX fininshed", "level YYY failed", "player entered into the XY coordinates (to be accurate, there are recommended to be multiple default grid size [usually 32 px. but may be different if you will change config pack setting])", etc. You may check out the SWM engine where those events are works

Events&layets subsystem inside world map is introducing thing and will not be available for *.WLD file format (*.WLDX only), and implementation of that is not hard.

mariofan 64
Blooper
Blooper

Postby mariofan 64 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:01 am

Wohlstand wrote:
Ludwig von Koopa wrote:
1) Custom music on world map is already implemented in latest PGE and will work with *.WLDX files
2) Layers and events on the world map are would work via triggers "level XXX fininshed", "level YYY failed", "player entered into the XY coordinates (to be accurate, there are recommended to be multiple default grid size [usually 32 px. but may be different if you will change config pack setting])", etc. You may check out the SWM engine where those events are works

Events&layets subsystem inside world map is introducing thing and will not be available for *.WLD file format (*.WLDX only), and implementation of that is not hard.
Events and layers subsystem in the world map could open up global switches and variables for use as well, even affecting lvlx files and, if possible to add, other wldx files as well, providing one wldx can connect to another wldx. Such a system would make an open world platform game more or less difficult over time, and zelda inspired games world very largely benefit from said system. Layers and events are only current data in current level. With PGE Events will come new opportunities, especially if said things can be made global or local.
Seeming as though death is now possible, could you activate the 'timer' commands in the level properties now, and when will layer movement be possible?

UberAndrew
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby UberAndrew » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:13 pm

Wanted to pop in and say that this project is looking incredibly promising and you're doing a fantastic job.

But I do also have a question.

I know you're going to try and implement every feature present in SMBX, but after you do that will you be adding new content? Maybe more tilesets and enemies?

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:57 am

UberAndrew wrote:Wanted to pop in and say that this project is looking incredibly promising and you're doing a fantastic job.

But I do also have a question.

I know you're going to try and implement every feature present in SMBX, but after you do that will you be adding new content? Maybe more tilesets and enemies?
Answer on so great question is short: YES! ;)

If we are already has openSource base of SMBX, we are can continue progress of it with no recreation of exists stuff: it can be easily ported to *.WLDX/*.LVLX/*.OGG/*.PNG "WLOG" with no human effort (PGE Maintainer which I doing will convert everything into new format. Also possible to convert NEW format into legacy SMBX 1.3 (*.WLD/*.LVL/*.MP3/*.GIFs "WLMG") to get ability play that stuff on them.)

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Legalize Awooo!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:07 am

how to download PGE without any configs, because i've 2 PGE configs in my computer....

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:26 am

Harvey36Dice wrote:how to download PGE without any configs, because i've 2 PGE configs in my computer....
1) if you used online installer, uncheck the config packs in a components and it will download & install raw PGE.
2) zip-packed portable version of PGE has no config packs and you must install them manually.
3) config packs are updating too: scripts, musics, sounds, INI-files. You can check the SMBX Integration config pack. It has a tiny size, but it requires you to have a copy of SMBX. installer will ask path to SMBX if you will choice that. If you wasnt updated config pack, you will be noticed about legacy config pack.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:19 am

Something seems to be wrong with the "grid-offset-x" values in your editor, as they seem not to work anymore. I liked to make the grid of any coins to 16, which works just fine, but when I like to shift the grid by 8 pixels in any direction ("-" aswell as "+" values) it shows no function on the grid of the NPCs. I also use notepad++ to make the edits. Am I doing something wrong there?

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:20 pm

Sednaiur wrote:Something seems to be wrong with the "grid-offset-x" values in your editor, as they seem not to work anymore. I liked to make the grid of any coins to 16, which works just fine, but when I like to shift the grid by 8 pixels in any direction ("-" aswell as "+" values) it shows no function on the grid of the NPCs. I also use notepad++ to make the edits. Am I doing something wrong there?
Be careful: absolute of grid offset must be less than 1/2 grid size. I.e. if grid offset is 16, you should set grid offset between -7...7 but don't set <-8 and don't set >8

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:29 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Sednaiur wrote:Something seems to be wrong with the "grid-offset-x" values in your editor, as they seem not to work anymore. I liked to make the grid of any coins to 16, which works just fine, but when I like to shift the grid by 8 pixels in any direction ("-" aswell as "+" values) it shows no function on the grid of the NPCs. I also use notepad++ to make the edits. Am I doing something wrong there?
Be careful: absolute of grid offset must be less than 1/2 grid size
Okay then. But how am I supposed to center anything by that? I would like to have any 16x16 grid aligned NPC placed like a 32x32 grid NPC, but in this case I would still need to un-align the NPCs, which takes time in the case of placing coins. I already tried the "grid-attachement-style=1" from the Thwomp but this also does not help.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:40 pm

Sednaiur wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:
Be careful: absolute of grid offset must be less than 1/2 grid size
Okay then. But how am I supposed to center anything by that? I would like to have any 16x16 grid aligned NPC placed like a 32x32 grid NPC, but in this case I would still need to un-align the NPCs, which takes time in the case of placing coins. I already tried the "grid-attachement-style=1" from the Thwomp but this also does not help.
I think, you can check out old code of piranha plant which had 32 alignment but it was centered to grid line:

Code: Select all

grid=32
grid-offset-x=16
grid-offset-y=-16
grid-attachement-style=1
Also, I told something wrong: you CAN use grid offset values in -(1/2Grid)....(1/2Grid) range, but if you will out of range, aligning shit will appear

Fatoldsweaty
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Fatoldsweaty » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:17 am

Howdy Wohlstand.

Glad to see you're still going, its definitely gonna be super awesome when this PGE is done.

I have a few things to say or suggest if you don't mind.

There should be a easy to understand English tutorial on how to install PGE and have it working as intended, because the current explanation is not entirely clear to me. I don't mean to sound rude or anything, and perhaps I'm just a moron, but an easy to understand english tutorial, or explanation would help a lot thanks.

Also I would like to praise you ,for your continued effort in this projects development, from what I can see your doing a really good job and I hope you continue it, and see the whole thing through. :D

You mentioned that upon the engines completion that new elements can be added to make different games, that will be an extremely appealing feature, and one I'm most looking forward to, your hard work gives a great deal of hope to a once dark and bleak existence of a dying thing so great job and keep it up.

Best of luck to you.

Return to “General”