[NPC Pack] Some NPCs I have made (Update: Bug Fixes for Upside Down Beetle & Wild Piranha)

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
GtW
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Re: [NPC Pack] Some NPCs I have made (Update: SMB3 Paragoomba & Ceiling Beetles)

Postby GtW » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:15 pm
Looking good. The only problem I have is that the Spiny and Buzzy Beetle shells upon landing look like they're moving too slowly compared to other SMBX shells.
That is intentional. In the original game, the speed of the dropped shell is slower than that of the shell that got kicked by the player.
I assumed that it might be probably because the shell would be very hard or near impossible to dodge if it moved at full speed considering that it dropped up close.

Note that you can also adjust the speed in the NPC config too in case if you need it to be faster.

PROX
Banned

Re: [NPC Pack] Some NPCs I have made (Update: SMB3 Paragoomba & Ceiling Beetles)

Postby PROX » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:57 pm

Yay, we have pretty much every SMB3 enemy now!

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:37 pm

PROX wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:57 pm
Now we just need a flame chomp! :mrgreen:

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:46 pm

TLtimelord wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:37 pm
PROX wrote:
Valtteri made one, but it was made before SMBX2 was even a thing, I believe.

DisasterMaster
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby DisasterMaster » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:36 pm

PROX wrote:
We're getting closer. There are about ~14 left (which is still quite a bit). There is an SMB3 Remake being created right now where many of the remaining npcs are being worked on. CJ_RLushi should be happy to see the Paragoomba created.
TLtimelord wrote:
PROX wrote:
Flame Chomps already exists. The only drawbacks are it replaces a base npc and it is buggy in that wherever it is placed in the level, it will still breathe its fireballs then explode thus rendering it useless if off-screen.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Blooper
Blooper

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:37 am

PROX wrote:
Well if you don't include Big Bertha and her baby cheep-cheeps, scatter bloopers, boss bass, fire chomp, variants of cannonballs, the lakitu that throws the regular spinies rather than the green spinies, lava lotus, missile bill, spiny cheep-cheeps, fire nipper plants, and the rest of the koopalings. Other than those enemies everything else is either in SMBX2 Beta 4 or exists in an NPC pack.

DisasterMaster
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby DisasterMaster » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:53 pm

TheTrueMarioMaster wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:37 am
the lakitu that throws the regular spinies rather than the green spinies
We already have a Lakitu that throws Red Spinies that has no vertical movement just like in SMB3...the SMB1 Lakitu. You would simply have to reskin npcs 610, 611, and 612 to their SMB3 counterpart looks. No need to create a brand new batch of custom npcs.

Now a non-vertical-moving Lakitu that throws Green Spinies (or acts as a container that throws any type of npc, if you want to go all out) would be more fitting toward the list of remaining SMB3 npcs.
spiny cheep-cheeps
The SMW Blurps (npc-302) act in a similar way to these Cheep-Cheeps in that they swim in a small sine-wave and ignore block collision. You would simply have to change their speed and appearance to match. If you wanted multiple speeds of them like 7-4, you could copy their data to an extra npc between 751 and 1000, as well.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Blooper
Blooper

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:42 pm

DisasterMaster wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:53 pm
We already have a Lakitu that throws Red Spinies that has no vertical movement just like in SMB3...the SMB1 Lakitu. You would simply have to reskin npcs 610, 611, and 612 to their SMB3 counterpart looks. No need to create a brand new batch of custom npcs.

Now a non-vertical-moving Lakitu that throws Green Spinies (or acts as a container that throws any type of npc, if you want to go all out) would be more fitting toward the list of remaining SMB3 npcs.
Was thinking more one that behaves like the default SMB3 SMBX lakitu also wouldn't hurt to have spinies reworked so that spiny shells would be available like with the original SMB3 spinies.
DisasterMaster wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:53 pm
The SMW Blurps (npc-302) act in a similar way to these Cheep-Cheeps in that they swim in a small sine-wave and ignore block collision. You would simply have to change their speed and appearance to match. If you wanted multiple speeds of them like 7-4, you could copy their data to an extra npc between 751 and 1000, as well.
More can be applied to the spiny cheep-cheeps then what was originally intended for them in SMB3 like having out of water jumping variants that can't be jumped on while also not being killed with a spin-jump which is one of SMBX's flaws when making a jumpable enemy non-jumpable it will still be killed by a spin-jump. Alternately someone could take the NSMB route with how they would behave and have them chase after Mario instead.

TheGameyFireBro105
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: Good at remakes

Postby TheGameyFireBro105 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pm

More can be applied to the spiny cheep-cheeps then what was originally intended for them in SMB3 like having out of water jumping variants that can't be jumped on while also not being killed with a spin-jump which is one of SMBX's flaws when making a jumpable enemy non-jumpable it will still be killed by a spin-jump. Alternately someone could take the NSMB route with how they would behave and have them chase after Mario instead.

Well, why not both?

Lusho
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: Intention is what matters

Postby Lusho » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:16 pm

Well, Novarender I know worked on a Flame Chomp, but its currently either canceled or paused, since Novarender pretty much worked for like a Month in CCX1

TheTrueMarioMaster
Blooper
Blooper

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:49 pm

CJ_RLushi wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:16 pm
Well, Novarender I know worked on a Flame Chomp, but its currently either canceled or paused, since Novarender pretty much worked for like a Month in CCX1
It would have been great to have a more up to date version of the Flame Chomp just like how IAmPlayer made a more up to date version of the Angry Sun also it's a shame that Novarender worked so long for the contest yet he didn't seem to have made it on time and I was last minute with the contest too having work on my level for almost a month.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:51 pm

PROX wrote:
Well if you don't include Big Bertha and her baby cheep-cheeps, scatter bloopers, boss bass, fire chomp, variants of cannonballs, the lakitu that throws the regular spinies rather than the green spinies, lava lotus, missile bill, spiny cheep-cheeps, fire nipper plants, and the rest of the koopalings. Other than those enemies everything else is either in SMBX2 Beta 4 or exists in an NPC pack.
I technically already made some of the cannon stuff and (SMB1) bloopers, but I haven't released them yet. Should probably do so at some point.

Also, until Lava Lotus is made, you can always use a reskinned Volcano Lotus. They're similar enough IMO.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Blooper
Blooper

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:30 am

Murphmario wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:51 pm
I technically already made some of the cannon stuff and (SMB1) bloopers, but I haven't released them yet. Should probably do so at some point.

Also, until Lava Lotus is made, you can always use a reskinned Volcano Lotus. They're similar enough IMO.
Only thing is that volcano lotus don't work as well underwater without messing with their properties and even after the reskin it limits the creator to only having a lotus underwater or on land not both and that's not even bringing up whatever differences might be between them in official games.

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:06 am

Tbh lava lotus and smw lotus are very simuliert in their behavior, both charge up and then shoot up. There aren’t really any big differences.

Lusho
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: Intention is what matters

Postby Lusho » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:42 pm

Except that the fire that Lotuses throw are completely useless underwater, the water friction is too high and the lotuses are slowed down to a stop the same moment they are spawned, to then fall without doing anything

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:41 am

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:49 pm
CJ_RLushi wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:16 pm
It would have been great to have a more up to date version of the Flame Chomp just like how IAmPlayer made a more up to date version of the Angry Sun also it's a shame that Novarender worked so long for the contest yet he didn't seem to have made it on time and I was last minute with the contest too having work on my level for almost a month.
Actually, Novarender helped with my entry and coded literally 90+% of it. In all fairness, I wish I was allowed to credit him as a fair partner.

Smibbix
Bit
Bit

Postby Smibbix » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:00 pm

These are great! The brown paragoomba is super cool. My only problem with it is that when Mario has a micro goomba on him, his jumping is a little too rigid.

GtW
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Re: [NPC Pack] Some NPCs I have made (Update: SMB3 Flame Chomp & Fire Nipper)

Postby GtW » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi guys, it's been a while.
Unfortunately, this might be the last update in a while as I need to go back to work again soon.
Hopefully I can find some more free time to finish some of the WIP stuff I have at least.

Anyways, first off with the reply.
A lot of people wrote: <Lots of Lava Lotus-related stuff>
If you're worried about having finite amount of Lotus variant in a single level. I'm pretty sure MrDoubleA did LunaLua version of SMW Volcano Lotus in their thread, so you can use them as an alternative. Since custom NPC can be duplicated/relocated to any possible empty slot.
The same goes to the behavior. Stuff like Underwater physics can be modified from their codes at well.

That's said, I have also work on Lava Lotus from scratch, hopefully I can release them sometime soon.
Smibbix wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:00 pm
These are great! The brown paragoomba is super cool. My only problem with it is that when Mario has a micro goomba on him, his jumping is a little too rigid.
Thanks! Micro-goomba jump prevention implementation is honestly pretty janky. Unfortunately, due to SMBX Physics and how the player jump is handled. I don't think I can come up with any better solution that still works as intended so I can't do anything about that.

As for the update, this time I've finished 2 new NPCs. SMB3 Flame Chomp & Fire Nipper.
Since both of these are late-game enemies, I cannot compare them directly with the source material so I have to resort to their recreation in SMW Hacks and Game Maker. I hope it's accurate enough.
Spoiler: show
SMB3 Flame Chomp
A Chomp-like enemy that chase you and fire the fireball at you periodically.
If it's tail reached 0, then it explodes like a Bob-omb.
Tail length can be customized per-NPC in the Editor.

I'm not completely sure if its tail should have an hitbox or not. From both sources that I've seen, the tail hitboxes were absent.
Screenshot:

SMB3 Fire Nipper
A special Nipper Plant that can be found in the World 7-8 of the original game.
It shoot fireball projectile periodically.

Attack length and time can be customized per-NPC in the Editor.
Screenshot:

Additionally, both Megadood and I have found a bugs related to the respawning in the previously uploaded NPC, therefore I've updated the following one with the bugfix.
- Upside Down Beetle
- Baron von Zappelin
If you have downloaded these before the current update, please re-download them again. Thank you!

That's all for now, see you all again next time!

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:14 pm

This is really amazing. You're contributing to so much with these. I will definitely find uses for these things!

TheTrueMarioMaster
Blooper
Blooper

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:48 pm

What a coincidence that flame chomp was released when it was brought up that it needed to be remade. Anyway for a lava lotus NPC pack instead of just doing the original lava lotus from SMB3 they could have all these lava lotus variants in SMWC that you can find here. Though it might be more suited for MrDoubleA to do since he seems to have a thing for making plant npcs.

Return to “LunaLua”