Bowser Statue (Boss)

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
KateBulka
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
Flair: Bun~
Pronouns: she/her

Bowser Statue (Boss)

Postby KateBulka » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:13 am

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Re: Bowser Statue (Boss)

Postby Mable » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:01 pm

How about you show an actualy screen of the boss instead of this.

Also there are no warning where the lava appears so it's pretty much unfair to the player and theres nothing else just the bombs spawning so you can attack him. Spikes that look out of place after appearing and wart bubbles.

xtremegamer51

Postby xtremegamer51 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:20 am

CaptainSyrup wrote:How about you show an actualy screen of the boss instead of this.

Also there are no warning where the lava appears so it's pretty much unfair to the player and theres nothing else just the bombs spawning so you can attack him. Spikes that look out of place after appearing and wart bubbles.
At first I thought that the level took place inside of a Giant Bowser Statue's mouth,ppfffftt! X)

But anyways,I guess I'll try this out another/some time or so.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:43 am

Oh honey.

Bowser Satue (Boss Fight)

This boss fight had some good ideas, that were sadly outweighed by the flaws.

First of all, what I liked was the idea. A Bowser Statue as a boss could be quite interesting, and if a bit better executed this could become a very interesting boss.

The good things were:

- The work with layers and events, a start-phase that then goes over into the "main"-phase where you fight the boss
- Use of grey castle tiles to underline the atmosphere
- The boss music that had a suspension to it, that I'd personally thought was very fitting for a boss like this
- The spikes blocking the entrance in the beginning

Now for the not so good stuff:

- Insta-death laser/lava beams appearing with no warning whatsoever. After a while it became easier because you started to memorize the patterns but before that it was just simply unfair.
- Same goes for the bubbles. While those were easier to dodge, it would've been better if there was a warning sign before they dropped or something.
- The BGOs. I don't know if you tried to do a jungle-temple thing with this level, but the plants in the castle looked simply out of place. If you want to do something like this, try integrating mossy castle tiles too.
- Typical Motherbrain-boss. You try to hit MB while some stuff around happens. If the boss was at least moving or something. (Also why was it even floating in the air, that's another thing I don't get. Sure, that happens a lot in Mario, stuff just floating in the air, but you'd suspect a 10-ton heavy Bowser boulder to drop on the ground, unless he's being hold up by something, would you?)
Also it got super boring after a while. If you do MB-like bosses, why not use an enemy that gets killed with one hit instead and then have the boss divided into like 3 phases? Or maybe a fight before the MB fight where it then goes over into the "final" MB form where you just have to hit it until it's gone.
- The Bob-omb spawner spawned Bob-ombs before the pipe even appeared. This can be fixed by putting it into a layer that is set to disable when the game starts and then is enabled when the fight starts.
- Out-of-place Spikes in the second phase. You already showed that you know how layers work? Why not just have the walls move closer to the player?
- The most anticlimatic boss in history of anticlimatic bosses. Seriously, at least some end message would've been nice. Like an "aaaarrrgh" coming from the statue before the star appears. But nothing? Kinda boring to be honest.

Over all, I'd give this a 3.5/10. You clearly know your ABCs, but it's still lacking in experience. Don't worry, the more you practice these kind of things, the better you'll get, and as long as you're having fun while doing it, nothing stands in your way. :) Moved to Average, case closed.

Return to “Average”