Vanilla MB Boss

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Pronouns: He/Him

Vanilla MB Boss

Postby AirSeus » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Basically I thought that I should make a boss with ZERO custom graphics and what better way to make one than with MB her self!

Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
Download:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/sg2rq3
Have fun playing! :D

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: Vanilla MB Boss

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:13 pm

Whoa...I don't like the look of that screenshot. I know you're trying to use only vanilla graphics and it's not easy to avoid it, but even with vanilla graphics, it's still about how you use them. I'm seeing Metroid, SMB3 and SMW in one screenshot and they're not looking good together. If you took out the SMB3 and SMW blocks and replaced them with the Metroid Tourian tileset and Tourian background then it'll look more appealing.

Superiorstar
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Superiorstar » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm

castlewars wrote:Whoa...I don't like the look of that screenshot. I know you're trying to use only vanilla graphics and it's not easy to avoid it, but even with vanilla graphics, it's still about how you use them. I'm seeing Metroid, SMB3 and SMW in one screenshot and they're not looking good together. If you took out the SMB3 and SMW blocks and replaced them with the Metroid Tourian tileset and Tourian background then it'll look more appealing.
Stop your whining its looks good even though it clashes.

silent_
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby silent_ » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Superiorstar wrote:
castlewars wrote:Whoa...I don't like the look of that screenshot. I know you're trying to use only vanilla graphics and it's not easy to avoid it, but even with vanilla graphics, it's still about how you use them. I'm seeing Metroid, SMB3 and SMW in one screenshot and they're not looking good together. If you took out the SMB3 and SMW blocks and replaced them with the Metroid Tourian tileset and Tourian background then it'll look more appealing.
Stop your whining its looks good even though it clashes.
Clash can't 'look good'. In fact, clash means it can't and doesn't look good.

Superiorstar
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Superiorstar » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:44 pm

@Kep: Do you really wanna start this again?
anyways, it looks good.

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:13 am

To me it looks perfectly fine, though i have a higher tolerance for style-mixing

zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Postby zioy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:56 am

Superiorstar wrote:@Kep: Do you really wanna start this again?
anyways, it looks good.
Fine, I'll say it.
CLASH, BY DEFINITION, CAN NOT LOOK GOOD TOGETHER.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:32 am

Where's SMW? But, yeah, there are some things which doesn't look good togheter.
Superiorstar wrote:Stop your whining its looks good even though it clashes.
Why am I laughing in this moment

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:57 am

Can we get on-topic please and remain civil?

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:06 pm

All i can say it looks like someone just hammered the mouse button and didn't even tried to make it look intresting at all.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:13 am

I'm not even sure how I'd go about reviewing a single boss battle, I really wish people wouldn't do this.

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby AirSeus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 am

the same as reviewing a lev but about the boss, I aint even a level judge and I know how to judge bosses

Mudkip
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Mudkip » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:34 pm

So you wanted a review for this level. Even though I am no Level Judge, I will fulfill your request. Here is your review.

Since this is a boss fight, I'll go with creativity/effort, gameplay and difficulty.

Creativity / effort
First of all, respect, you made a custom boss without graphics. But unfortunately, that was a shit idea. The fight itself was just MB protected by some blocks and moving a bit, plus having rinka spawners attached on some blocks. Bombs and powerups were coming out of pipes. That's the same crap you see all the time and it seemed like you didn't even put effort into it. No, it would be overrecting if I'd say "it seemed like you didn't even put effort into it", to be exact, you didn't even fucking care about giving any efforts into it.

Gameplay
How is somebody supposed to have fun playing a plain, boring MB boss, which is even worse than the average MB boss levels? Yeah, there's no damn way you could have fun playing the level. You just pick up the bombs that are spawning from the pipes and then throw them back at MB. While you do that, you'll have to dodge a shitton of rinkas in a cramped area. This is just plain boring.

Difficulty
Too hard. Nobody wants to play a plain, boring boss, that is hard, too. You get power-ups all the time, but they don't really help since there's that goddamn cramped area filled with rinkas and bombs, it's outrageous.

OVERALL
The idea is shit. The gameplay is shit. The difficulty is shit. Everything in this level is just shit. I actually don't play levels that aren't worth looking at them, but I really love to review them and just laugh at the creator. Meh, I feel like I'm writing this way too often, but please do the world (and yourself of course) a favor and don't design levels like this one anytime again. Never ever again. To be honest, this level is so shit, it doesn't even deserve being on any computer, nor in the internet. If you're feeling like you want to do another vanilla boss, don't even try to. But if you do, don't submit it here, nor anywhere else.

-1/10. Don't move this to the trash can, better move it to the archives or delete this thread.
Last edited by Marina on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correcting spelling errors hue *abuse*

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:03 am

@bossedit8's Boss Review - Vanilla MB Boss - Made by @Zupermariobros

Design Usage & NPC Placements:
The Boss was a regular Mother Brain with Rinkas you have to avoid like in Metroid Games but due to the fact that on this Boss it works surely different that you have to throw Bombs at the red Barrier from the bottom. It was a neat concept by having Mother Brain controlling the ship with hands, Pipes with generating Bombs and even that it moves on 4 different directions (left, down, right, up) but due to the fact that there are 4 Rinkas you have to avoid and you have to throw Bombs at the Mother Brain's Barrier especially while the ship is more at the bottom so there is less space you have to avoid tends to get annoying because originally, you should be able to avoid them easily in the regular games but here you mostly get hit unless you know what you doing like me. At least you have 2 Power Up Generators at the left and right side of the Arena so you won't die very easily but in order to even bring a different Power Up in there and lose them anyway due to low amount of space to avoid and even the Power Ups generators are spawning Leafes seems not completly right to me. At least Leafes makes you to destroy Rinkas so this steps to the right direction. Design criteria was ok since this is more related to the default graphics but at least make the Ship more Metroid Based because Mother Brain even controls it and make the terrain SMW since you used a SMW Background for it and even the Music. NPC Placements were just average due to the fact that spawning 4 Rinkas at the time were too much. At least make it only 2 or something that seems less spammy because 4 seems too much. Oh and while making the Area less spammy to avoid them, make the Power Up Generator also a bit lower to respawn another or else you wouldn't die that easily to the Boss that was already a Challenge.

Overall Rating Score: 3

Average

It was a decent Boss Battle but in a spammy and too narrowed way to avoid and focus to Bomb it.

Return to “Average”