Galoomba Plains (My First Level)

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
Prancer

Galoomba Plains (My First Level)

Postby Prancer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:43 pm

My first creation. It's not a massive level but I think I did well for a first attempt. I'd call it an easy difficulty level, but there are 1 or 2 parts in the level which are a bit more difficult, but not that much. It'd be great if someone could give me some feedback on my design. Enjoy my level!

Screenie's
Spoiler: show
Download:http://www.mediafire.com/download/mhx21 ... plains.lvl

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Re: Galoomba Plains (My First Level)

Postby Witchking666 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:56 pm

This looks decent
Only i would advice you to use a little more npc,s then what you did
But judging by the fact its your first level gg

TheKingOfBoos
Panser
Panser

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:05 pm

The hard thing about using SMW vanilla graphics is that you don't have many BGOs. Next time, I'd recommend a few more BGOs. TBS, your design looks really good, good even for a first level, and I'm not just saying that! Hope you do better with this one than mine did! I'd guess you'll get a 5 or 6.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:52 pm

My Review of Galoomba Plains:
Level Design: 2.5/10 (Weighed 70%)
This actually wasn’t too bad for a first level, but it does have a handful of issues. It was quite short (like most first levels are) and had a bit too much variety. The castle section unique but way too short, and could be skipped (by jumping over the top if you are playing Luigi) and contained way too much variation of NPCs, making it look a little bit messy. You also made a common mistake of using the wrong type of lava. In a castle area that doesn’t contain skull rafts, you should be using the SMW bubbling lava instead. Going back to the first section, it was okay, but after the castle section didn’t have any sizables and looked a little bit barren. Throughout the overland section, there was a also little NPC variety. Placement of ?-blocks was also inconsistent. The first grouping was fine at three blocks above the ground, but the almost all of the blocks thereafter were two blocks from the ground; in most cases, make three blocks off the ground the minimum height of any special blocks. Coins also shouldn’t be placed on the ground in most cases and often look better at minimum three blocks off the ground. Try adding 5 dragon coins as well to spice up the level. There were some spots such as the water area in the first section that could have had a bit more to them. Placing some cheep-cheeps in the water along with a dragon coin could make that look a lot better. The underwater section also needed some background objects and maybe a few NPCs, as it was also very bland.
Graphics/Music: 4.0 /10 (Weighed 30%)
The graphics and music were both vanilla, so there’s not much I can say about that. There was very little to no cutoff and no clash in all sections of the level, but the lack of variety in BGOs and sizables made the level very bland. It’s pretty tough to create a high quality overworld level using SMW vanilla graphics only.
Overall: 2.95/10

patromaniac
Swooper
Swooper

Postby patromaniac » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Not bad for your first level. The castle was great but the grassland could use a little more platforming magic, like pits and/or moving platforms.

Taker
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Taker » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:33 pm

I'd consider it good for a first level.

TheKingOfBoos
Panser
Panser

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Merio wrote:I'd consider it good for a first level.
Would you mind telling us what precisely makes it good?

Taker
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Taker » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:14 pm

TheKingOfBoos wrote:
Merio wrote:I'd consider it good for a first level.
Would you mind telling us what precisely makes it good?

By being bad it's good. You learn from your mistakes.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:15 am

Well, good job showing screenshots of your level!

I agree that you do need more NPCs though! ^.^')

Prancer

Postby Prancer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I've got a brand new version (it's completely different with some elements from this level) coming very soon. I've used all of the feedback that has been given to improve the level greatly (more NPC's, custom gfx, longer level etc.). Just giving it some final tweaks.

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:51 pm

Review of Galoomba Plains by Prancer

The level's opening is pretty good and manages to make pretty good use of vanilla graphics without clash and that sort of stuff. The level really lives up to it's name as there is quite a lot of galoombas to the point where i kind of wanted to see other enemies more, variety is important. The castle section felt really unnecessary and a difficulty spike especially at the podoboo section. I basically had to podoboo jump just to pass that jump (Not to mention that they don't really fit with the style and all but i'll forgive you for that ;) ). Then as you exit the castle section (That could be entirely avoided by using luigi) the next thing of interest you find is a really easy to get secret bonus room that could yield about 2 1-ups which is a bit overkill imo. And then there is the exit. There's no checkpoint in the level, i mean it IS pretty short but you should still put checkpoints in your levels

The level is a bit short and the castle section is a difficulty spike but in all it's a great first level
4.5/10

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:07 pm

Galoomba Plains review
I won't seperate the atmosphere from the design, since it's a vanilla level

This level was very simple yet not boring. It was quite fun to play at first, and the usage of vanilla graphics was p. nice. I didn't see any cutoffs or clashy graphics. The music is also fitting in the level.
The level felt a bit short to me. The general design is average, I have no major complaints. The NPC placement is a bit sparse and I wouldn't place coins on the ground. The NPC variety could've been a bit wider too.
The central part of the castle is way harder than the rest as I noticed. The hidden 1-up also makes a shortcut, which can make the whole castle section skipped. In the bonus room, you can get like ~160 coins with ease, it's way too generous with coins.

4/10
Overall, nice attempt for a first level with some major and minor design flaws, but decent gameplay and good usage of vanilla graphics
Moved to 'Average'

Return to “Average”