Utopia

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
Squishy Rex
Pronouns: he/him

Utopia

Postby Squishy Rex » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:37 am

Welcome to the official thread for "Utopia"! Utopia is my long-running, though mostly secret SMBX endeavour that I have been working on since about two months after the release of SMBX 1.3. I wanted to essentially push SMBX to what might be considered breaking point in terms of players, items, levels and a whole heap of other things. I won't go into too much detail, because as you play through "Utopia" you will see what I mean.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the next chapter of "Utopia" has begun. With PlatGEnWohl now functioning as a great editor, "Utopia" is being produced only with PlatGEnWohl and will only use SMBX for testing purposes for now. Once PlatGEnWohl has a running engine, "Utopia" will be fazed out of SMBX completely.

Now to fully support PlatGEnWohl and the team behind it, I am making "Utopia" an official and exclusive PlatGEnWohl only project!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hadn't reposted Utopia eariler due to a lack of GFX needed to complete certain levels, due to that theme of tileset not already in existence. I have had to make a lot of GFX to get Utopia out of hiatus. Most of the levels and worlds have already been planned out on paper, so it is just a matter of making the actual thing, though that is easier said than done. Anyway...

The Story:
Spoiler: show
Yeah, so at this point the story needs some working, though I can assure you though there is no save the princess, stars or weed from Bowser. No, no, no, this story is a little less tame.
The Heroes:
Mario
Luigi
Princess Toadstool
Toad
Captain Toad
The P-Ups:
Most items are common throughout Utopia, however some are world specific. For example, the Frog Suit is specific to Refresher Waters, taken outside of this world
it becomes an Ice Flower.
Super Mushroom
Fire Flower
Ice Flower
Superball Flower (Becomes Fire Flower outside native world)
Volt Flower (Becomes Fire Flower outside native world)
Crystal Flower (Becomes Ice Flower outside native world)
Cape Feather
Tanooki Suit
Hammer Suit
Boomerang Suit (LunaDLL)
Bomb Suit (LunaDLL)
Bowser Suit (LunaDLL)
Frog Suit (Becomes Ice Flower outside native world)
Penguin Suit (Becomes Ice Flower outside native world)
Star Suit (Becomes Hammer Suit outside native world)
P-Balloon
Kuribo's Shoe
Podoboo's Shoe
Lakitu's Shoe
Para-Beetle's Shell
Boo Mushroom
Cheep Cheep Mushroom
Poison Mushroom
General Items:
Baseball: Throw them at enemies, if you create a chain hit, you can rack up some serious points.
Anchor: Grab an Anchor and you will be able to walk underwater.
Key: Finding a key and placing it in a Keyhole can either open locked areas or secret pathways on the Map.
Bubbles: Though some of the larger bubbles are able to be swum in, many smaller ones float past carrying items and even enemies.
Orb: These rare orbs when opened will eject a random item or enemy.
Jugem Cloud: Grab a Jugem Cloud or Jugem Cloud Flower to turn into a Jugem Cloud. You can fly around the stage, however landing causes you to revert to normal.
Hammer: Hammers, when collected can break open walls or destroy Rock Blocks.
Warp Whistle: These will warp you to secret areas or even Level-based Warp Zones. They are extremely hard to find.
Thunder Cloud: Collecting a Thunder Cloud will shrink your enemies to a tiny size. It only appears twice in "That Shrinking Feeling" and "Put on your Shrinking Cap".
P-Wing: Will warp you to the end of the said level, as in past the Goal Mushroom or Card Roulette.
T-Switch: Freezes Time for a few game seconds.
Stopwatch: Does the same as the T-Switch, however can be placed into the Reserve Item Box.
Crates: Crates can have many purposes, they can hold items, enemies or even thin air!
Mushroom Block: They make good building blocks and weapons.
Vegetables: Like baseballs, you can pull them from the ground and throw them to chain points.
Cherry: Collecting five in a level will cause a Music Box to appear.
Chomp Ball: They can only be found in Vases, but when used in the Overworld, they can be thrown like shells to topple every enemy in its path.
Berry Blocks: Impassible, unless you have a Yoshi to eat them.
Berries: Collecting fruits will reward you with large amounts of points, however, collecting berries of a certain colour can have bigger rewards.
Coins: ...
1-Ups: ...
Propeller Block: Grab onto a Propeller Block to soar high into the sky!
Beam Box: Perfect for finding your way through a dark tunnel or haunted house.
Cannon Box: Grab a hold of this Box and fire a rapid barrage of Cannonballs at your enemies!
Kuribo's Ice Skate: Jump on and skate down your enemies, this item is perfect for crossing ice quickly when you're in a hurry.
Kuribo's Roller Skate: Lines of Roller Skates can be found ready to roll over large spike-filled pits or even Munchers. But once they start rolling they won't stop!
e-Switch: e-Switches, when pressed, will cause an e-Card to appear in the current level. If you can find it and collect it, you will gain the pictured reward when you reach the Goal.
F-Switch: F-Switches or Flood Switches can flood areas with water if the switch is blue, if it is red it will flood the area with lava. Pressing another F-Switch after activating a first one will reverse the effects or "de-flood" the area.
P-Switch: ...
!-Switch: Pressing the ! Switch will cause an environmental change nearby. These effects are usually permanent.
?- Switch: Pressing the ? Switch will cause an environmental change nearby. These effects are usually temporary and are timed like a P-Switch.
BOO Switch: Pressing one of these in a Ghost House, will cause objects like chair and tables to come to life. Although it wouldn't be overly fun when the furniture is out to kill you, but it is essential usually.
POW Block: ...
Roulette Block: Hitting one will cause a random item to pop out, it could be a rare Hammer Suit or just a Super Mushroom.
Baddie Box: Enemies will spawn from these boxes constantly and can only be destroyed by the Statue form of the Tanooki Suit or by a Hammer from the Hammer Suit.
Red Ring: ...
Rainbow Ring: When touched Rainbow Rings will spawn a random number of 1-Ups, however, it will also spawn a number of Poison Mushrooms. If you can collect all of the 1-Ups without getting a Poison Mushroom, you will receive a P-Wing.
Note Ring: Pass through a Note Ring will cause a Note Trail to appear. Collect all of the Notes in the trail and a Music Box will appear.
Bomb Switch: Pressing these will cause a dispenser nearby to begin spawning Bob-Ombs.
Note Trail: Collect all of the Notes in a Note Trail to receive a Music Box.
Metal Ring: Pass through a Metal Ring to become heavy. You can walk and run underwater instead of swimming.
Purple Ring: Pass through a Purple Ring to activate call upon a Purple Comet from the Utopian Universe. It will scatter 100 Purple Coins throughout the level. Collect them all and a Music Box will appear.
Switch Block:
5-Up Block: Extremely rare, 5-Up Blocks will spawn 5 1-Ups for the player to collect.
Music Box: The Music Boxes are scattered across Utopia and it's your job to gather them to piece together the Grand Music Box.
Detonator: These usually ignite fuses or destroy objects when pressed.
Hint Block: Found when new environments are encountered. Hit them and they'll tell you some good tips to try out.
Obstruction Switch Block
Axe: When the mighty Axe falls it will either cut down bridges, trees and even guidewires.
Rubber Ball: Rubber Balls are useful projectiles that act similar to Shells, though they cannot hurt you. Pick them up and throw them around.
Lucky Star
Hacisuke
Lucky Coin
Lucky Cloud
Skull Switch
Bomb
Rock Block
Springboard
Bouncing Bough
Character Block
Switch Block
Toothy
Yoshis
Worlds:
0: Intro
1: Emerald Grasslands
2: Golden Dunes
3: Refresher Waters
4: Forests of Eternity
5: Land of Giants
6: The Misty Mountains
7: Shimmering Snow Fields
8: Starry Sky Gardens
9: The Volcanic Badlands

10: Star Connection
11: SPECIAL

A: Shy Guy Storybook
B: Crystal Dome
C: Pipe Maze
D: Super Galaxy
E: Bowser's Carnival

World Mushroom
World Flower
World Leaf
World Star

World Crown
Enemies List: Gameplay Modes:
Story Mode: Um, do I need to explain?
Challenge Mode: Play challenges and earn special Golden Music Boxes (essential for completing the game fully)
Specials Mode: Unlock Specials Mode and play through scrapped levels, cut levels from the original Super Mario Bros series and have some fun inside the Magical Music Box.
Screenshots: NEW
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Progress:
World Map: 30%
Game Start & Intro: 70%
World 1: 25%
Beta Testers:
If you were a Beta Tester when I first publicly announced the episode, please let me know who you are. I am looking for more Beta Testers as well.
1. SuperMario7
2. Darkonius Mavakar
3. zlakerboy357
4. Luigifan400
5. MechaLxNiiur
6. Rust
7. Valtries the Fox
Let's Play:
If you want to make one once I release Utopia just let me know.
Want to support Utopia? Add Utopia's Userbar to your signature:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1492][img]http://i.imgur.com/JbBraVb.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by Squishy Rex on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:09 am, edited 11 times in total.

CreatorForce
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Utopia

Postby CreatorForce » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:14 am

Wow, Awesome Project :D

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:19 am

This is definitely one of the more interesting projects on the forum. The custom graphics are great, and so are the new ideas that you have mentioned. Those levels look fun to play as well. Good luck on this project.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:55 am

Looks like a decent project. Just gonna point out that I'm a beta tester.

Navi
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: he/they

Postby Navi » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:14 am

I'm just telling you that I'm a BETA TESTER.

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:42 am

Pivot40Channel wrote: Wow, Awesome Project :D
Thanks!
sezixor wrote:This is definitely one of the more interesting projects on the forum. The custom graphics are great, and so are the new ideas that you have mentioned. Those levels look fun to play as well. Good luck on this project.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it so far. I have really only started building the episode, but if you believe it looks fun, then I suppose I'm on the right track from the start. As for the new ideas, some will be hard to implement, but they are tried and tested and they work, so hopefully I can pull this off.
zlakerboy357 wrote:Looks like a decent project. Just gonna point out that I'm a beta tester.
Okay boys, lets not start a war... Consider yourselves Beta Testers... wait... Luigifan400, I think you were a Beta Tester for Utopia on the old forums.

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:43 am

It's a bit better than other ones.

Kingbowser112
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby Kingbowser112 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Hey Squishy! Good screens and power-ups. However can I be a beta tester of this awesome episode?
And do you want be a one in my Serie?
I wait a reply.
However really good job.

moemoe02

Postby moemoe02 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:34 pm

DANG! This project has really nice graphics and the world map looks really great! you are one of the greatest GFX makers in SMBX history!

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Finally you present Utopia! It seems a very good project!

Eternity
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Eternity » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:05 pm

This looks great so far! The level design seems to be well done, and the graphic choices are pretty creative. I'd like to see some more non-SMB3 levels though, as those are refreshing to play through and would add some variety to the episode.

By the way, I'm pretty sure I wasn't a beta-tester before, but I'd like to be one. :3

Namyrr
Spike
Spike

Postby Namyrr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Very nicely made graphics in the screenshots. I'm liking the look of this episode, Rex. Best of luck to you!

Sig.Cell
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Sig.Cell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:12 pm

This project is really huge! The world map is the best I've ever seen!
Good luck for the project! ;)
How soon this project'll be ready?

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Woah, you project is awesome!, i like these screenshots for the world map...
Can i be a beta tester?

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 am

Rust wrote:By the way, I'm pretty sure I wasn't a beta-tester before, but I'd like to be one. :3
Sure, I'm always looking for new Beta Testers. As for non SMB3-styled levels, there will be plenty more, though most of World 1 will be SMB3-styled. I will have a few new screenshots too soon.
MechaLxNiiur wrote:Woah, you project is awesome!, i like these screenshots for the world map...
Can i be a beta tester?
Thanks, I am hoping the Map will be the main highlight of Utopia, almost every single Map GFX will be completely custom. Can you be a Beta Tester? Yes, yes you can! ;)

reghrhre
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby reghrhre » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:36 am

Yeah, that world map is definitely amazing looking in every way. And man, looks like being in charge of the Ultimate GFX pack pays off, you get to see a million different things that you can use in your levels so you can have tons of variety in your levels. Anyways, everything looks great! I don't feel like reading the text ATM though so hopefully this comment suffices enough : P

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:00 am

reghrhre wrote:Yeah, that world map is definitely amazing looking in every way. And man, looks like being in charge of the Ultimate GFX pack pays off, you get to see a million different things that you can use in your levels so you can have tons of variety in your levels. Anyways, everything looks great! I don't feel like reading the text ATM though so hopefully this comment suffices enough : P
Thanks reghrhre, I appreciate the comment. There may be a bit of interesting stuff in the wall of text, but it's all just mainly the usual. The NEW SMBX CGFX Pack has helped, so you are definitely right, and this will be the defining episode for the pack, since I'll be hauling out a fair amount of Choco levels, though, I hope that makes up for my level design, it isn't the greatest, but maybe I can pull something great out of the hat for Utopia. Thanks again!

General Info:
I've updated the first post, now you can download the up-to-date enemies list of every enemy featured in Utopia. Please feel free to ask questions about them. It will still be subject to change, if and when I alter any levels or worlds.
There's also a a new chapter in Utopia's storyline for Ghostly Island. Have a read, you may find it interesting....

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:25 am

Shit, this looks really, really nice. World map in particular looks incredible, as others have said. Looking forward to this for sure. It's good to see someone who's really dedicated to their ideas like this (working on this since 1.3 release basically is really impressive).

Doodoxing
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby Doodoxing » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:35 pm

I think, the graphics that you've used are very, very nice. :)

anisk

Postby anisk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:47 pm

I think this will be one of the best projects on forum.The Graphics are good

Return to “Projects”