Yoshi's Paradise

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Yoshi's Paradise

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Say hello to Yoshi's Paradise, my first SMBX project! :D

Yep, as you may have noticed already, this project is all about Yoshi, my all-time favorite video game character.

Here's some more information.

Storyline:
Spoiler: show
2033 AD. After a nearly endless fight with Mario and Luigi, Bowser was thrown into lava and died, and all Koopalings were kidnapped and cooked by humans for making their video game life tedious and frustrating. Only Larry Koopa was able to survive, and he's up to something really bad...
There are seven territories that are ruled by one Yoshi each. An additional eighth world is under control of Larry. Five of the seven Yoshis were kidnapped by Larry and brought to his castle; only the heads of World 1 and World 7 are still free. The current location of Green Yoshi is unknown - Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad will have to find out where he is as they progress...
The player's goal, obviously is to save all Yoshis so that Yoshi's Paradise can continue to exist in peace and happiness.
Worlds: (except for the name of the last world, no name is set yet)
World 1: Purple Yoshi's Territory (Grasslands)
World 2: Pink Yoshi's Territory (Forest)
World 3: Ice Yoshi's Territory (Icelands)
World 4: Black Yoshi's Territory (Pipes)
World 5: Blue Yoshi's Territory (Sky)
World 6: Red Yoshi's Territory (Desert)
World 7: Yellow Yoshi's Territory (Cave)
World 8: Larry Koopa's Territory (Lava/Darklands)
World 9: Green Yoshi's Territory (Yoshi's Paradise/mixture of various themes from Yoshi's Island) (the secret world that the player has to find out about)
Other notable things:
  • On the way, the player can use anything but Yoshis (because five are kidnapped, Green Yoshi is lost, and the two free Yoshis are busy maintaining Yoshi's Mall in World 1). However, there are some secret exits for which the player will need Yoshis, so he or she got to find out where to find Yoshi eggs...
  • There's a Star Palace similar to the one in The Invasion 2. It's a place where you can get useful items from, and from where you can access every territory except for Larry's territory. In order to get to the Star Palace, the player has to find the Star Warp in each of the accessible territories.
  • I use dialogues a lot, especially in levels that aren't important in order to progress. That way, I wanna give the project an RPG'ish and entertaining touch, and add a few mini-stories inside the main story.
  • For World 9, the secret world, I've been planning to use only tiles, backgrounds, NPC's, bosses etc. from Yoshi's Island, with the exception of the last level, which will include a few bosses and characters from other Mario games.
  • Also, Link and Toad are replaced with playable purple and yellow YI-styled Yoshis, and these Yoshis will be used as the only two playable characters for World 9. That's why these two characters are locked in the rest of the episode.
  • There will be one special section in one selected level of each world, called the Music Room. Each of them features an 8-bit remix of a metal song, sometimes more, sometimes less popular, and the player has to find and reach the goal before the music's over; else he or she will fall to his or her death.
World map: (first beta)
Click the image to see a bigger version.
Screenshots:
An excerpt from World 1-3 or Level 3 ("And Yet It Moves"). The first and definitely not last autoscrolling level in the project.

An excerpt from World 3-3 or Level 19 ("Deathly Cold Cave"). The lava was recolored here to represent ice which is so cold that it will cause death from frostburn.

Another excerpt from World 3-3. Yes, it's meant to be a kind of puzzle level. It looks more difficult than it really is, however.

The first Toad House in the game. It looks like a regular Toad House and feels like one. Really. Not all Toad Houses look like this, however.

An excerpt from World 1-7 or Level 7 ("Pit Of No Return"). You will need a Yoshi to finish this level, and even with a Yoshi, this won't be easy... (Of course the level is not on the main route!)

A scene from the long dialogue in the Warehouse in World 1.

Those are some of the tiles, NPC's and backgrounds from Yoshi's Island I've implemented so far, and some of the NPC's that shall be turned into similar enemies from Yoshi's Island later. I'm ripping everything I'll need from Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, using VisualBoyAdvance and its function to export the tiles used in the section you're currently in.

Look who's joining the playable character party! It's Yellow Yoshi, one of the Yoshis who weren't kidnapped! He will be one of the two Yoshis you can play as in World 9, the other one being Purple Yoshi!
Credit for the playable character goes to Tamaki2511! (If the character happens to be stolen from someone, please let me know!)

That's the inside of the Star Palace as it looks at the moment. The sign above the doors show which Yoshi is the head of the territory and what kind of environment you have to expect. The placement of the door to World 9 isn't final yet, I might hide it in another section so it's not all that obvious that World 9 exists. Also, Larry's territory has no Star Exit. The Toad at the very right will explain you why.
Demo:
None yet. I think it's too early. (See the Progress section.)

Progress:
- about 13% -
9/77 levels (regular, dungeon, castle) finished
3/13 Toad Houses finished
1/9 warps finished (this includes the Star Palace)
  • First beta of world map is done
  • Preliminary names for all levels are set
  • World 1 is playable and only has to be polished
  • The first level of World 2 is almost done
  • One level of World 3 is almost done
  • The last level is started
  • The Star Palace is almost done
I'm searching for level makers and future beta testers to support me! If you're interested, post a reply here or send me a PM!

Level designers:
1. SuperWingedYoshi
2. AYoshiGamer (a friend of mine who isn't registered here)
3. yoshifanatic1 (another friend of mine who's not on this forum)
4. Thetoxicminecrafter1
5. crusher169

Beta testers:
1. anisk
2. yoshifanatic1 (see above)
3. KingKoopa80
4. 18mlivingston
5. orangeyoshi13 (not on these forums)
6. Trace42
7. crusher169
8. MECHDRAGON777

World map designer:
SuperWingedYoshi

Gameplay recorder:
MECHDRAGON777

GFX Packs I use in this project:
- NEW SMBX CGFX Pack by Squishy Rex (Kudos to him for collecting all of these sprites, he's awesome!)

If you support the project, you can add this banner to your signature if you want! :)

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1411][img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_aQgry0xrkk/UxIt4qhCBRI/AAAAAAAAAm4/SDe8rYttnTY/s800/Unbenannt-1.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by SuperWingedYoshi on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 32 times in total.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Yoshi's Paradise

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:31 pm

Who made the enemy graphics in the last screen?

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:36 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Who made the enemy graphics in the last screen?
Me. I ripped them (as well as everything else you can see) from Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, using VisualBoyAdvance and its feature to export tiles. If I used anyone else's work, I'd ask them first, of course.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:38 pm

I'm sorry but the piranha is 1x1. It should be resized double to look good.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:42 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:I'm sorry but the piranha is 1x1. It should be resized double to look good.
I've just edited the first post and mentioned that there:
I wrote:Yes, I know the Piranha Plant looks odd, I'll have to fix that.
If I make it 2x2 and leave it in the Piranha Plant slot, the sprite will be cut off because it'd be bigger than the size of the original SMB3 Piranha Plant which I replaced (modifying gfxwidth and gfxheight didn't help).

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 pm

Please send me the graphic and I will try to fix it.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:50 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Please send me the graphic and I will try to fix it.
Okay, you have a PM.

anisk

Postby anisk » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:15 pm

can i be the beta tester

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:53 pm

This project is awesum,It makes me wanna excited!

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:58 pm

anisk wrote:can i be the beta tester
Sure you can be one, I'll add you to the list right away.
Litdude32 wrote:This project is awesum,It makes me wanna excited!
Glad you like it!
It's still in a very early state so far, but the main ideas and the storyline won't change a lot anymore. The graphics will probably undergo the biggest changes. So far, Yoshi's Paradise is very normal compared to all the other awesome projects here...
The first thing I'll do is to download Squishy Rex' NEW SMBX CGFX Pack and see if it contains something I can use. (Of course I'll give credit. ;))

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:35 am

Little update for the project. I just got an idea. I downloaded Squishy Rex' NEW SMBX CGFX pack lately and there I found a Yoshi's Island-styled green Yoshi replacing Link. That'd fit perfectly for World 9, where I want the player to play as a Yoshi, and I'd just need to recolor the Yoshi to make the storyline more realistic (because the green Yoshi is lost, and only the purple and yellow Yoshis are still free and thus could be made playable), but now I'm kinda stuck in a trilemma.
That's because Link is entirely different than Mario/Luigi and Peach/Toad, has entirely different attacks and moves, collects rupees instead of coins, can store bombs, etc., and I'd need to replace a second character as well if I wanted to make Player 1 AND Player 2 play as Yoshis in World 9. I don't wanna replace Mario or Luigi, however, because these can ride on Yoshis (and I don't want the Yoshis to be able to ride on Yoshis, as much as I like Yoshi), and the two plumbers also the two must-have characters for my storyline, so I only have Peach, Toad and Link as replaceable characters left.
Now I need your opinion, because I can't find the best choice on my own.
The three possible options of my trilemma are:
  1. Replace Link and Peach with Yoshis. This option would make the most sense regarding the storyline, because Link doesn't fit at all and Peach will probably want to stay at the Star Palace to take care of it. However, as said above, Link and Peach are entirely different characters, so if there are two players, Player 1 will have advantages over Player 2 and vice versa.
  2. Replace Link and Toad with Yoshis. Makes a bit less sense than Option 1 regarding the storyline, but is an option as well if there are players who'd really like to play as Peach. However, as for Option 1, Link and Toad are entirely different characters.
  3. Replace Peach and Toad with Yoshis. This option would guarantee for an equality of the two Yoshis, but it would shrink the amount of remaining playable characters for the other eight worlds to exactly two, namely Mario and Luigi.
And, of course, you can also vote against all three options, but then you should post the (in your opinion) better alternative to the three options here.

I'll open a poll now, where you can vote. It will end on March 14th, the day when Yoshi's New Island is released. Please vote for the option that you like the most (or hate the least).

Thanks in advance. :)

glitch4
Banned

Re: Yoshi's Paradise (New poll!)

Postby glitch4 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:06 pm

I would never like to play as Link.So yeah,Link and Oeach is the vote for me.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:26 pm

To make things clearer for you: Link is disabled in any case, no matter if Option 1, 2, 3 or none of them. If you choose Peach and Toad to become Yoshis, Link won't have any use in the project, and only Mario and Luigi will be left to play. Apart from that, though, it's the option that makes the most sense in my opinion because both Yoshis would be equal. If Link would become a Yoshi and Peach would become a Yoshi, then one Yoshi could float in the air and use Kuribo's Shoes, while the other Yoshi couldn't. For that, however, this other Yoshi would have a stab, stomp and stab-from-above attack, could store bombs, and would collect rupees instead of coins. It would be quite an unbalanced choice; you'd choose the best Yoshi and not your favorite Yoshi color.

Is Link and Peach your final choice or would you like to switch now? When I set up the poll, I gave every voter the ability to edit his choice. I hope it actually works, I never tried it out before.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:54 am

The poll has ended yesterday! Link and Toad got the most votes. So that means that Mario, Luigi and Peach will be playable characters, while Toad and Link will serve as playable Yoshis in World 9. Link as Purple Yoshi, Toad as Yellow Yoshi (because those two weren't kidnapped). The first post will be updated with this information. Thanks for voting! (And if anyone has a clue who that person is who voted for "None of these options" and didn't suggest anything better, please let me know...)

Now if anyone could make a playable yellow YI Yoshi replacing Toad for me, that would be great.
I also made a topic about this request: Link

Thetoxicminecrafter1
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Thetoxicminecrafter1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:51 pm

This project looks really interesting, and I would be happy to help make some levels for it.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks! :)
You can become a level designer if you want to! Just PM me with a level of yours and I'll see if I'll add you to the list.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:25 pm

How about we make mario and Luigi only playables except in world 9, and peach and toad in world 9? If peach was playable outside of world 9 she couldn't get the secret exits requiring Yoshis. And link wouldn't be around because let's face it you either make an episode excluding Link, or you make a tailor made to Link episode. It's the best for balanced levels.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:02 am

FanofSMBX wrote:How about we make mario and Luigi only playables except in world 9, and peach and toad in world 9? If peach was playable outside of world 9 she couldn't get the secret exits requiring Yoshis.
Only two playable characters for the first eight worlds aren't a lot of choices, don't you think?
Also, your suggestion was one of the options in my poll, actually. But only two people voted for Peach and Toad being replaced with Yoshis for World 9; the most voted option was Link and Toad. I did a poll, the community has chosen its favorite option, and that's what I'll do now.
I'm well aware of the fact that Peach can't get the secret exits requiring Yoshis (and there are some exits that require Yoshis), but the player can simply select another character on the world map (press ESC and press the Left and Right keys to select someone else) or by choosing another character in the main menu.
And link wouldn't be around because let's face it you either make an episode excluding Link, or you make a tailor made to Link episode.
Exactly why I've excluded Link from the project from the very beginning on. Link doesn't fit into my storyline and he's overpowered.

Thetoxicminecrafter1
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Thetoxicminecrafter1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:05 pm

I sent a pm with a couple of levels of mine to you to check out.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:06 pm

I'm going to make some custom gfx themed Yoshi's Island levels.

Return to “Projects”