Super Mario Bros. Dark Dawn [LunaLua Project]

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Super Mario Bros. Dark Dawn [LunaLua Project]

Postby Fuyu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Story:
"The Medallion of Keebus is the key to the realm of nightmares, where Keebus von Vallamon, lord of darkness was sealed millions of years ago. The medallion was supposed to hold a terrible dark power that bestowed whoever worn it."

In the present day, Bowser found about this story and sent his troops in order to find this Medallion. Once he found it he ordered his minions to make 9 pendants out of the Medallion's pieces and gave them to the Koopalings, his son Bowser Jr. and the remaining one for himself.

A letter from a mysterious person is sent to Princess Peach informing of Bowser's movements. What could Bowser be planning to use the Medallion for?
Project General Information:
Level Design: The whole episode will be mainly focusing on linear level design, with a couple of open pathways here and there. Some levels may not be as linear as the majority, so do keep an eye for those. The levels will also be very short if anyone were to attempt to make a speedrun, I attempt to make short levels as those of the original Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 and World levels. Instead of making long levels that entertain most of you people for some reason, I want to focus on those sweet things that will make all of you want to re-play the whole episode again and again.

World Map Structure: Yes, this project will use a World Map. I'm actually expecting to accomplish a lot of feats with LunaLua on the World Map. There will be a town in every world, followed by its respective castle. You will be able to buy Power-Ups from shops in all towns, but the price will depend on which world you're buying them. The rarer the Power-Up in a world, the more expensive it'll be in that world's town shop. Much like in SMB3/NSMBWii and so on, you'll be able to save Power-Ups to use later; you will only be able to use them on the world map, though. There will be no Toad Houses as there are towns already, the purpose of said houses becomes null.

Aesthetics: The whole episode will be SMB3 styled, there are no exceptions, period. No reason shall change my mind.

Soundtrack: The whole episode will use SMW Soundfont tracks only. I always wanted to attempt to do that and I do plan to accomplish it now.
Joining the Development Team:
It is possible for anyone to join the development team. But before jumping to the scene and saying "I want to be the level designer or tester or riot" I want all of you to inspect you and determine what are your strengths and what are your weak points. I also want you to understand that while I receive everyone with open arms if anyone that is currently handling his/her own episode I won't be less strict just because he/she doesn't have time. If you plan on joining do have in mind that there's a schedule to follow and I do expect all of you to respect it and follow it.

Done? Good. Now hear me out, there are a couple of positions open for anybody to join as long as you took into consideration what I just said. The following lists display the development team as a whole, it is up to you to decide on which of this would you fit more rather than on which would you like to be in the most.

DT Leader:
  • Natsu
My word is that of god to my fellow Development Team teammates. Nah, just kiddin'. I won't rush on you people but I do want the development process to go smoothly.

DT Level Designers:
  • Natsu
  • PixelPest
  • Mr. Punchia
Must I specify what are Level Designers supposed to do? Because if I am then the world's end is at hand folks. Level Designer designs levels for the episode based on the episode's guidelines given to Level Designers upon entering the Development Team.

DT Graphic Designers:
  • Natsu
  • PixelPest
  • PROX
Responsible for designing/achieving any graphic necessary to create the episode. This applies for both level and overworld so I hope anyone interested in this job has the experience and skill to take part of this section of the team.

DT Musician:
  • Not taken
What? Musician? Is this episode going to use custom music? No shit, I ain't using SMBX's only music resources. Since I'm going to use SMW Soundfont tracks the job of the Musician will be to find the tracks that are going to be used in the entire episode. If it happens that there is no SMW Soundfont version of the desired track the Musician is to find a MIDI of it and convert it so we can use it on the episode. More details are to follow the one that wants to have this job.

DT Testers:
  • Suckerman7 GM
  • MECHDRAGON777
  • Not taken
  • PROX
Testers play all finished levels and review them. Said reviews must be brief and accurate, so whoever desires to enter the team as a Tester is asked to patiently attempt to break all levels without mercy. This is not as an insult to the level designer but rather as measures to avoid bugs, game-breaking or not, to go to the hands of the players.

DT Lua Programmer:
  • cramps-man
In charge of coding any feats, both for level and overworld.

These are the personnel I'm looking for. If you're interested in joining any of these sections of the team go ahead and post your insertion request down below.
Screenshots:
As much as I wish to inform you of how this episode will be and how the development process is going to go, I do understand that what you guys so desperately crave for are screenshots, and I'm more than happy to oblige.
Spoiler: show

Progress:
World 1 - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 90%
World 2 - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 50%
World 3 - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 0%
World 4 - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 12.5%
World 5 - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 0%
World 6 - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 0%
World 7 - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 0%
World 8 - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 0%
World 9 - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 0%
????????? - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 0%
????????? - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 0%

Total - ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 12.72%

Support our Project:
Paste the following code in your signature to fully support this project! Thanks a lot!

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13458][img]http://i.imgur.com/vidjJFM.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by Fuyu on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:46 am, edited 16 times in total.

RustyBox
Swooper
Swooper

Re: Super Mario Bros. Dark Dawn [LunaLua Project]

Postby RustyBox » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Wow! The screenshots are so awesome. Especially the 2nd and 4th one.
And I really like the story. It's sounds pretty cool. I am looking forward to more. :D

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:11 pm

This looks really good. I'd be happy to be a designer--I really like episodes that are focused on a single game like this

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Turak500 wrote:Wow! The screenshots are so awesome. Especially the 2nd and 4th one.
And I really like the story. It's sounds pretty cool. I am looking forward to more. :D
Thanks, good to know you like it. I also see you're already supporting the project. I really appreciate it, thanks! :D
PixelPest wrote:This looks really good. I'd be happy to be a designer--I really like episodes that are focused on a single game like this
Thanks. And sure, PM me your Skype username (if you use it) and we'll talk there.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Wow the screens looks beautiful because it has good design and atmosphere.... I like the cloudy level ones... Will you reuse some level(s) from your cancelled project?

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:29 pm

Harvey36Dice wrote:Wow the screens looks beautiful because it has good design and atmosphere.... I like the cloudy level ones...
Thanks. I love to death that level, it's my favorite so far. But I'm about to kick into World 2, and so far I'm falling in love with it, I hope you too do.
Harvey36Dice wrote:Will you reuse some level(s) from your cancelled project?
I doubt it. All the levels from my previous project were long, too long to fit in this project. That and I'm attempting a slightly different level design err ... modus operand? The thing is that I don't think it'd fit. At this point, I might just release a compilation of all the levels.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:42 pm

I'd like to be a beta tester.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Suckerman7 GM wrote:I'd like to be a beta tester.
I'll gladly accept you into the team. Please PM me your Skype username (if you have an account).

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!

Postby Waddle » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:59 pm

The screenshots look really good, but the mushrooms in the second screenshot appear to be shaded to fit an afternoon environment; you should either recolour the mushrooms or the background to make them compliment each other. I don't have any other complaints, however. Good luck with this!

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:32 pm

Wow, this project is getting a lot of possitive feedback. Not just that, all Level Designer spots are taken and I already have a Tester, things are going a lot smoothier than I actually planned.

@Waddle Derp: Thanks for the tip. I'll look into fixing that.

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm

I will gladly be the Lua Programmer.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:46 pm

HenryRichard wrote:I will gladly be the Lua Programmer.
I won't lie, I'm happy you wanted to be part of this episode's development team, but most of all as a Lua Programmer. I feared that spot might take some time to be filled, but now I think things are just going for the better from now on.

AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

Postby AirShip » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:43 am

The graphics used are beautiful, in fact, though, the levels seem generic in design level terms, however, as are only images, I will not jump to conclusions.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:11 pm

So you replaced your old project with a new one, eh?

But I like to say that this project seems more honest and fitting. Having more SMB3-like level-design combined with a custom touch is something that could be fun.
I know that many people talk about SMB3 being overused, but a fun fact to me is, that there is not a single SMB3-like episode out there, except for a remake of SMB3, despite all that so called "SMB3-bias", so let's see what you and your team will come up with. ^^

From the screenshots I like the 4th one th most (that fortress). The tiles and the level-background are looking really nice on that one, in my opinion. But all the screens look really fine in general - no faulty design to me there. Hopefully you will not cancel this one too, as the more stuff you cancel, the less you may be able to stick to a project (judging that by looking at the history of so many project-designers).

I wish you good luck and fun, as you may need it. :-)

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:30 pm

I'll help with the graphics. I am making graphics for my own episode as well so yeah. Hopefully it'll still be of help to you

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:16 pm

@Sednaiur and @AirShip: Thanks, both of you. Yeah, I know the level design looks very generic, but that's because I'm attempting to be generic. You'll start to see some variations soon, though. ;)

@PROX: Yeah, sure thing! Welcome to the team!

Hani
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Hani » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:40 pm

I could lend you some graphics but it depends on your taste. I have only 2 tilesets fully done. One with bgos and one without.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Catastrophe wrote:I could lend you some graphics but it depends on your taste. I have only 2 tilesets fully done. One with bgos and one without.
As of now the team has enough graphic designers and we're taking no outside help besides feedback for when the Demo comes out. If you're interested in filling other available spots you may suit yourself, though.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:16 am

Can I beta test?

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:55 pm