The Harry Potter Project (11/5/15: Progress At Last!)

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.

Between the two sets of sprites below, which would you rather see Harry and friends in?

GBC Style
11%
GBA Style
89%

Total votes: 62
AxelVoss
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

The Harry Potter Project (11/5/15: Progress At Last!)

Postby AxelVoss » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:55 pm

"It's not really goodbye, after all."

HARRY POTTER and the PHILOSOPHER'S STONE

[center]11/5/15[/center][/b][/u]
Wow. I've had a few nice young gentlemen step up to the plate, and so far, I'm liking what I'm seeing! Check out these awesome graphics bigpotato and DarkWolf have put together!

We're still working hard to bring our Hogwarts to life! It'll only come along that much faster if more people join as Graphic Artists, Level Designers, Game Designers, or Beta Testers! We need Graphics and Level Design more than anything, really.

~UPDATES~

Spoiler: show

~9/10/15~

Hey guys! I'm not dead yet! I'm just waiting on some tilesets from some new friends of mine, and planning out the maps for Hogwarts. If anybody would care to step up and lend a hand, we'd really appreciate that! I could use some help with the level design and with tilesets and backgrounds. I got characters and items, but I'm not very confident in my skills with tiles and backgrounds.

Anybody? I'd be happy to send you a copy of Harry Potter 1 on PC for reference. :3

~8/25/15~

Well, so far, nobody seems to want the GBC style characters in the game. Shoulda guessed. Thus, here we have a slightly tweaked Harry Potter, plus a revamped Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger to go with him. Whaddya think? Are we gonna keep going with this? Any way I can improve this style? Let me know!

Image Image Image

~8/23/15~

So, I decided to try recoloring Harry's sprites here, and I've placed them alongside the original sprites. I'd like you to tell me which style you'd prefer: Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance.

GBC / GBA
ImageImage

Whichever style of sprite you'd rather see in the final product, pick your answer from the poll above!
No, I'm not giving up on Super Mario RPG 2. But I am gonna be working on this for now. I had the idea, and I wanna stick with it for awhile.

I'm sure that all of you (unless you've been living under a rock the past 17 years) have heard of the tales of a certain young boy and his seven years spent attending a boarding school for wizards and witches. Some of our number have had the chance to experience Harry's adventures firsthand through the myriad of video games released by EA Games for various consoles. Each has inevitably been forced to leave part of the story behind. But what if one developer rose to bring the full story of Harry Potter to life, to give players the chance to see as much of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as possible, and to play a Harry Potter side-scrolling platform action puzzle game?

We'd have this project, that's what.

Welcome to my personal SMBX reproduction of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone! The plan is to create a side-scrolling action-adventure-puzzle game. That means fights, puzzles, and secrets all wrapped up into a neat little package. There'll be a bit more emphasis on wit and problem-solving than on brute force and skill, though both will still apply.

You'll play as Link disguised as Harry (and friends, possibly. I like the idea of seeing the story from different perspectives besides Harry's, such as from Ron or Hermione's point of view), experiencing the story of the Stone in an episodic format. After each chapter of the story is complete, Harry will return to the Gryffindor Common Room (Overworld Map), from which he can choose to play Minigames, explore all of Hogwarts Castle and the grounds in Free Play and discover new secrets, or continue the Story Mode.

Throughout the Story Mode and Free Play you will find Famous Witches and Wizards Cards: magical trading cards depicting famous magic users throughout history that are very popular with Hogwarts students. The more Wizard Cards you collect, the more secrets you can unlock around Hogwarts!

If you're interested in this project at all, I ask you to keep a close watch on this page as I update it with my progress and requests, and contribute your own graphics/music/level ideas/game concepts as you so choose! Any support at all would be appreciated, as I know I'd love to see the first ever Harry Potter game in SMBX come to life! Wouldn't you? :3

~Dev Screenshots~

Title screen work-in-progress. Needs more... content.Image
Dickin' around with the graphics.
Diagon Alley: The first step into a magical world.
S.O.S.: SEND CUSTOM TILESETS.

~What We Need~

EVERYTHING.
To name a few:
-Tilesets/BGs, and lots of em! Diagon Alley, King's Cross Station, the Hogwarts Express, as well as several locales within Hogwarts itself!
-Level design ideas! Using spell powers to progress, activating switches, finding secret passageways, hidden collectibles...
-People! It takes a village, ya know?

~The Story~

Do I REALLY need to tell you the story of the first Harry Potter book? ...Well, I'll give you the summary from the inside cover, just in case you've honestly never read the books.

"Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and has never worn a cloak of invisibility.

All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley--a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.

But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry--and anyone who reads about him--will find unforgettable.

For it's there that he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him... if Harry can survive the encounter."

~The Characters~

ImageHARRY POTTER - The Boy Who Lived. He needs no introduction; his story is legendary. Escaping an attack from the darkest of wizards with nothing but a lightning-bolt scar, Harry Potter grew up under the roof of the least magical family alive. He knew nothing of his heritage or of the wizard school he would soon attend until a half-giant burst through the door and handed him the letter that would change his life.

ImageRON WEASLEY - The youngest of the Weasley clan, and the first real friend Harry ever made. Ron is the only one of the Gryffindor Trio who grew up with a family of wizards, and yet is the least capable of the three. He attends Hogwarts unsure of his ability to live up to his successful older brothers, but proves himself as a brave and loyal friend to Harry and Hermione.

ImageHERMIONE GRANGER - Hermione was raised by non-magical parents, yet is easily the cleverest and most resourceful witch of her age. If she weren't sorted into Gryffindor House, she could easily pass for a Ravenclaw.

ImageDRACO MALFOY - Harry's snotty, self-absorbed, spoiled rich kid of a rival embodies everything Slytherin, and makes it his life's goal to put himself on as high a pedestal as possible. He's almost always flanked by his unequivocally dense goons, Crabbe and Goyle, and without them, he's actually rather cowardly.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE - Headmaster of Hogwarts, considered by many to be the greatest wizard of modern times. He acts as one of many guides along Harry's journey through the years, providing sage advice as well as a touch of humor and whimsy. He enjoys chamber music, lemon drops, and ten-pin bowling.

ImageRUBEUS HAGRID - Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts. This larger-than-life caretaker first delivered Harry to the Dursleys when his parents were killed and his house destroyed. Fittingly enough, he was also the one who took him away from his awful relatives and started him off on his magical journey. A fierce friend, Hagrid is much gentler than he looks.

SEVERUS SNAPE - The Potions Master and Head of Slytherin House is snide, bitter, harsh, and always ready to dish out punishments to members of any house that isn't his own. He's been eyeing Professor Quirrell's job for years, and holds a particular grudge against a certain Mr. Potter...

QUIRINUS QUIRRELL - The Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher was once clever and capable. However, after a run-in with vampires and hags, Quirrell was reduced to a whimpering, stuttering mess, scared of his students and scared of his own subject. Still, an air of mystery lurks about him... why does he wear that big, smelly turban anyway?

~The Items, Spells and Mechanics~

ImageFLIPENDO - The basic Knockback Jinx that you learn from Mr. Ollivander after you buy your wand. This spell casts a short-range spark from your wand that can be used to activate switches and defeat enemies.

ImagePETRIFICUS TOTALUS - One of the more useful spells you will learn at Hogwarts, courtesy of Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor Prof. Quirrell. This jinx places the foe in a Full-Body Bind, unable to move or attack.

ImageINCENDIO - The Firemaking Charm. Casts a fireball that floats in a straight line from the point where the spell was cast, stopping only when it hits an enemy or a wall. It can melt ice, burn through ropes, and get rid of certain nasty plants.

ImageAVIFORS - Cast this spell in mid-jump to briefly transfigure yourself into a small bird and fly up to an out-of-reach ledge. Take a running start before you jump to extend the time of flight. (Pending a method of drawing a miniature bird onto the book's sprite...)

ImageVERDIMILLIOUS - A long-range duelling spell that makes short work of most foes. For reasons unknown, casting this spell at a locked gate while you hold a key unlocks the gate. Magic is a mysterious thing...

ImageFAMOUS WITCHES AND WIZARDS CARDS - Find all 100 in the set scattered around Hogwarts and the Grounds in Free Play and Story Mode, or by completing various Minigames. The more you collect, the more secrets will reveal themselves around Hogwarts!

ImageBERTIE BOTT'S EVERY FLAVOUR BEANS - They mean every flavour. Collecting 100 of these magical jelly beans will grant you another chance to play before Game Over. A single Bean gives you... a single Bean, a Bag of Beans holds 5, and the legendary Bertie's Box holds 20 Beans.

ImageCHOCOLATE FROG - These delectable little cocoa amphibians will restore your stamina when it's low. Keep an eye on those hearts, lest Harry end up in the Hospital Wing!

ImageCAULDRON - Hm... I actually don't know yet. Give me time. ;3

~The Team~
(HELP WANTED! INQUIRE BY PM!)

Lead Game Designer and Project Manager
AxelVoss

Graphics Team
TheKingofBoos
DarkWolf658
bigpotato
??

Game Designers
??
??

Level Designers
??
??

Beta Testers
??
??

Stay tuned for more! Any sort of help would be appreciated, so step right up if you're interested in bringing Harry's world to Mario X!

~Spread the Word!~

Slap either of the following codes into your signature. :3

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11137][img]s1026.photobucket.com/user/rchammer97/media/SMBX%20Forums/philosopher_zpsldmubjl3.png.html[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11137][img]http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/rchammer97/SMBX%20Forums/philosopher_zpszwrcb6lg.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by AxelVoss on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 22 times in total.

DarkWolf658
Snifit
Snifit

Re: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (HELP WANTED!!)

Postby DarkWolf658 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:27 am

Looks interesting. Ill join the beat test squad and will go rip some graphics as I post this. Im not sure if I can level design though, my levels arent to good.

andreepika11233
Swooper
Swooper

Postby andreepika11233 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:47 am

I remember the harry potter series, can I beta test this project?

AxelVoss
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby AxelVoss » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:01 am

DarkWolf and andreepika, sure thing! I'm currently working on a demo level right now, based on the second "Chapter" of the game, Diagon Alley. Once I've put it together, I'll send you the files.

And DarkWolf, if you could manage to create some Harry Potter tilesets in the vein of the GBC games, that'd be fantastic! Currently, I'm using some Zelda-II style graphics that work very well. But having specifically Potter graphics would be better.

DarkWolf658
Snifit
Snifit

Postby DarkWolf658 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:51 pm

AxelVoss wrote:DarkWolf and andreepika, sure thing! I'm currently working on a demo level right now, based on the second "Chapter" of the game, Diagon Alley. Once I've put it together, I'll send you the files.

And DarkWolf, if you could manage to create some Harry Potter tilesets in the vein of the GBC games, that'd be fantastic! Currently, I'm using some Zelda-II style graphics that work very well. But having specifically Potter graphics would be better.
Well in your original graphic pack, you used a test level with the SMW castle tileset. If you pallet-swap it to the hogwarts floor colors, it looks like decent floor (also backwords compatable as a leaky cauldron celler tileset). Ill work on them right now and send it to you later.

TheKingOfBoos
Panser
Panser

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:53 pm

This gets a bookmark, because this looks good. Not going to beta test, though, I suck at that currently...

AxelVoss
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby AxelVoss » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:16 pm

That could work, Mr. Wolf. From this point, could we discuss it in PM? c:

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Will this project be 8-bit?

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:36 pm

I'd gladly help with making tilesets if you can send me a spritesheet or a few screenshots of the area you want me to make into a tileset.

AxelVoss
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby AxelVoss » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:39 pm

@FanofSMBX: Not quite. I haven't decided fully on the style, but I'm currently using 8-bit characters in GBC style against 16-bit backdrops, like so:

Glad to hear it, Mr. Richard! I'll send you some screenshots of the Hogwarts Entrance Hall from Stone and Chamber for GBC; see what you can do with 'em, alright?
Last edited by underFlo on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:18 pm

First of all, please don't double post, use the Edit button instead.

But I gotta say, this looks interesting so far! The playables all look good even though they lack shading because they're quite detailed. I think Harry blends in well with the rest. However, I feel like the SMB3 wooden box that's used as a house doesn't look that good, especially because everything else uses the redrawn style.

I also feel like a more puzzle-focused gameplay style is really cool, so I'll see if I can fit in some time to make a level or two. I'll hit you up via PM if I have enough time to spare.

AxelVoss
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby AxelVoss » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Spinda wrote:First of all, please don't double post, use the Edit button instead.

But I gotta say, this looks interesting so far! The playables all look good even though they lack shading because they're quite detailed. I think Harry blends in well with the rest. However, I feel like the SMB3 wooden box that's used as a house doesn't look that good, especially because everything else uses the redrawn style.

I also feel like a more puzzle-focused gameplay style is really cool, so I'll see if I can fit in some time to make a level or two. I'll hit you up via PM if I have enough time to spare.
Uh... I didn't double post. Where? o_o;;

Ah... I think I should clarify. You play Harry Potter as HARRY POTTER. Nobody else (Currently). The Characters section is simply to show and describe the important characters to someone who might never have read the books. Nobody else is playable for the moment. I may choose to have the point of view change to different characters in the future, however.

Finally, the box... I have limited resources. >_<
I don't have anyone on graphics right now but me, and I'm not very talented with tiles. I'm using the sizable blocks as the buildings, and Flourish and Blott's there is the only one I haven't textured over/found a good texture for. Sorry 'bout that.

I'd love to see what you can do! Never a bad idea to spread some around, I always say. ^_^

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:59 am

Oh, alright, I was under the impression that you could also play as Hermine and Ron because their introduction sprites looked a lot like Link playables.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:33 am

I would like to be both a level designer and a beta-tester. But can I find Harry Potter graphics at somewhere or you'll give me?

AxelVoss
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby AxelVoss » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:07 am

Mr, Suckerman, sure thing. Anybody can be a tester if they ask, but if you want to design a level, I'll need to see a sample of what you can do.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Legalize Awooo!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:18 am

i like the harry potter playable ,and the city level design and GFX looks okay IMO.
i'm looking forward to this!
Edit : your support banner is not working and idk why.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:28 am

AxelVoss wrote:Mr, Suckerman, sure thing. Anybody can be a tester if they ask, but if you want to design a level, I'll need to see a sample of what you can do.
All right, I'm on it. I'll make a nice level for your project.

AxelVoss
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby AxelVoss » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 am

Harvey36Dice wrote:i like the harry potter playable ,and the city level design and GFX looks okay IMO.
i'm looking forward to this!
Edit : your support banner is not working and idk why.
Did you change all the ()'s to []'s? T_I

-EDIT- Nevermind; I discovered the

command. There ya go. :3

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 pm

This project is too rare, a 2D game based on a series of movies of the platformer genre and the characters work as Mario characters? but I think it can work, not all episodes should be only of Mario. The project is very interesting, I would like to see as advances, but dude, is the strangest project I've seen so far. The level design is not bad but I don't know, looks very simple, unlike the second screenshot

AxelVoss
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby AxelVoss » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:13 pm

So, I decided to try recoloring Harry's sprites here, and I've placed them alongside the original sprites. I'd like you to tell me which style you'd prefer: Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance.

GBC / GBA
Image Image

Whichever style of sprite you'd rather see in the final product, pick your answer from the poll above!

Return to “Projects”