Bowser jr. toxic factory

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Bowser jr. toxic factory

Postby Cedrik » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:14 am

After the deadline from tutwigs 2nd music contest rached, I uploard my level, I sended to it.
The results of the contest is out: This level: 3rd place.

About the level:
Spoiler: show
This level isn't easy.
I use the music I became on the contest (hard category)!

A Boss is in the level.
I use a little gimnick.

THE VIOLETT WATERFALL GFX CAN LOOK A LITTLE BIT GLITCHY, BUT THEY ISN'T!

You don't need LunaLua or SMBX 2.0!
To do it 100%:
Collect the secret star, kill the Boss and get the exit star!
Screenshots (3):
Downloard: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dus9i88ubn6ve ... actory.zip
Last edited by Cedrik on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Re: Bowser jr. toxic factory

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Couldn't even wait for the reviews to be released, eh? Did you at least fix the bug where the secret star won't appear if the player doesn't get a certain coin last?

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Couldn't even wait for the reviews to be released, eh? Did you at least fix the bug where the secret star won't appear if the player doesn't get a certain coin last?
Wait .... what bug, can you post a screenshot and explain the bug?

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Cedrik wrote:Wait .... what bug, can you post a screenshot and explain the bug?
You have all the blue coins on their own layer, but not all of them activate the secret star's event in "No More Objects in Layer." Therefore, if the player collects one of the coins that doesn't have the event set last, as happened to me, the event won't activate. Remember: always make sure all NPCs on a layer trigger their respective "No More Objects in Layer" event before releasing it.

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:53 am

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Cedrik wrote:Wait .... what bug, can you post a screenshot and explain the bug?
You have all the blue coins on their own layer, but not all of them activate the secret star's event in "No More Objects in Layer." Therefore, if the player collects one of the coins that doesn't have the event set last, as happened to me, the event won't activate. Remember: always make sure all NPCs on a layer trigger their respective "No More Objects in Layer" event before releasing it.
I fix it.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:59 pm

I have my review done for this level with me, but I don't want to show it until I have permission from Turtwig to show it.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:39 am

Congratulations on becoming music!

The visuals heavily remind me of a level bossedit recently posted.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:46 pm

congrats for your 3rd place! Judging for the screen, looks nice and detailed (especially the color of the lava!) . I will play this then i will give you a small review.

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:26 am

Harvey36Dice wrote:congrats for your 3rd place! Judging for the screen, looks nice and detailed (especially the color of the lava!) . I will play this then i will give you a small review.
The lava was made by me. I recolor them and change the pixels a little bit.
(not lava, toxic)

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:12 am

So I played this and wanted to write a review, but then I remembered this was for a contest (which explains the poor music) and decided to check out the reviews. Honestly, I almost 100% agree with this one by imnbh4l
Imaynotbehere4long (6.7/10)
Okay, you have all the blue coins on their own layer, but not all of them activate the secret star's event in "No More Objects in Layer." Therefore, if the player collects one of the coins that doesn't have the event set last, as happened to me, the event won't activate. Remember: always make sure all NPCs on a layer trigger their respective "No More Objects in Layer" event before releasing it; I earned that secret star, dang it!!

Anyway, I think that out of all the levels, this has to be the one with the most wasted potential. It tries to do a bunch of things (homing bullet bills, Yoshi's Island flip blocks, rising lava) but doesn't really build on any of them. It's still a well designed level, but I'm always disappointed to see things introduced once or twice, then forgotten for the rest of the level; it just makes the whole thing seem gimmicky. You could have used the homing bullet bills more than once or made the rising lava section more threatening (the lava could rise faster but start lower, and the section could be a bit longer). The Yoshi's Island flip blocks could have been used to add more of a puzzle element to the level, too. Also, the boss didn't need that sign hint (although, like Aviation Attack, you did a good job making the fight unique).

By the way, a bunch of your custom graphics are grainy; remember to save them as PNG files, then use an online service or Paint.net (with dithering=0) to convert them to GIF.

I would have given this a 7/10 if the blue coins' event wasn't partially broken; I took off one tenth of a point for each coin you forgot to add the event to.
However, I do want to add my two cents to it.

While the level overall tries its hardest to stand out and does do so in its own right, it's going a bit over the top, trying too much and ends up being very unfocused. While the experience overall is enjoyable, I think it would be even more so if the level was split in 3. One about conveyor belts, one about yoshi platforms, one about lava movement. The gimmicks feel underutilised and lacked testing/polish. The lava rising room for example is rather difficult to see coming. I hit the switch and wasted a second or two analyzing my surroundings, but by the time I reached the rather difficult to hit springboard, it was already too late.

I also have some things to say about the boss, which was probably my least favourite part of the level. Please place a second midpoint or have a shortcut to the boss. The 2nd half is already longer than the first one, even without the boss, and having the player fight a boss where it's very easy to die is just discouraging without another midpoint. If you don't want to use lunalua you can hide a warp in the checkpoint area and have the sign tell you about it.

Speaking of sign.. the sign was useless. It doesn't give you a tip, it straight-up spoils the solution to a very easy puzzle.

Blah, blah, grainy graphics, blue coins, blah. This level is overall rather enjoyable if you look past the severe lack of polish and focus. I'll give this a 6.2 because I didn't like it as much as imnbh4l, but I think you should definitely note down the points from his review and review your own level/level design style while looking for them.

Super Mario Channel
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Super Mario Channel » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:02 am

Is it just me or is there something weird about the "toxic", "the toxic bubble", and the "toxic-fall"?

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:24 am

Enjl wrote:Use a 2nd middlepoint.
I can't, because I used 1.3.0.1.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:39 am

Cedrik wrote:
Enjl wrote:Use a 2nd middlepoint.
I can't, because I used 1.3.0.1.
Place a warp in the midpoint area which is well-hidden and tell the player about its location using the sign in front of the boss door.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:01 pm

Enjl wrote:Blah, blah, grainy graphics, blue coins, blah.
Wait, did he seriously not fix the issue with the blue coins?? He made a post saying that he fixed it; what the heck!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:37 am

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Enjl wrote:Blah, blah, grainy graphics, blue coins, blah.
Wait, did he seriously not fix the issue with the blue coins?? He made a post saying that he fixed it; what the heck!
I don't even know why I mentioned it since I didn't actually go for the blue coins and they didn't change the score at all. /me shrugs.

Return to “Pretty Good”