SMW expanded GFX-pack v1.0 download-link works again

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

SMW expanded GFX-pack v1.0 download-link works again

Postby Sednaiur » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Well, after a longer period of not being able (and more then two weeks too late for which I greatly apologize) to upload this pack, here it finally is, my fourth and final expanded GFX-pack.
It contains almost every tileset from the original Super Mario World (it only misses the "Bossroom"-tileset as far as I know) edited and expanded.
Like my other packs of the "expanded"-series it aims for removing cutoff patterns, 8x8-style (which is featured the most in SMW's tilesets) and adding new things, like more BGOs.

But text bores more than pictures, so here are some screenshots of a bit of this packs content ^^:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
The pack also contains many recolors of some of the tilesets. This is what it contains for now:
(1) Overworld tilesets and BGOs in the following recolors; plains, grassland, chocolate, mountain, forest, and snow.
(2) Underground/cave tilesets (for now without BGOs) in the following recolors; grey, vanilla, sandy, dark, lime (used in underwater-levels in SMW), chocolate, and frozen.
(3) Castle-tilesets and BGOs in the following recolors; grey, dark, and chocolate.
(4) A ghosthouse-tileset inclusive BGOs.
(5) A sky-tileset
(6) A wooden tileset
(7) Bonus area-tilesets in the following recolors; blue, green, yellow, red, orange, brown, and dark.
(8) Expanded pipes in 8 colors, aswell as small versions of them.
(9) Expanded giant logs and bill/banzai blasters (you can build a treetop-like level with the giant logs now ^^).
(10) Many new miscallaneous blocks, sizables and BGOs.
(11) My previously released SMW expanded worldmap GFX-pack.
(12) Almost all level-backgrounds from SMW which also got edited and resized to 1024x1200 pixels, save for a few of them (and a heavily edited version of the sunken ghost ship-background that features 2x2 pixels instead of 4x4 pixels).

Of course I will update this pack in the future, so there is much more to come. It just will take some time until that.
The only NPCs that this pack contains for now, are different variants of the piranha plants and a venus fire trap in SMW-form, to go along with the different pipes. More NPCs will follow in the future.

Download link provided by xDestroy
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6v2k20ih1ccc6 ... r.zip?dl=0

Please know that this pack is best used with PGE, because of it's abilities to make custom blocksizes possible the easy way.
So I advice you to use this pack with the level-editor of PGE to make it most useful (and because if you use the standard SMBX-editor, many blocks in this pack will be displayed glitchy).
I made tileset-files in PGE that are included in the respective folders, so you can use everything in this pack from the get go without needing to build the tilesets yourself.

Credits for sources I used:

Nintendo - for the obvious thing ^^
"Stefan Mahrla" - for the ripped level-maps of SMW that I used.
Mario Universe - where I got the level-maps from
Spriters Resource - where I got some spritesheets from
The Cutting Room Floor - For some sprites (and some interesting infos too ^^)

Everything in this pack is edited and expanded by me, which took me a very long time to accomplish, so please give credit to me if you use anything from this pack.

Please have fun and good luck for your levels or projects :-)
Last edited by Warlock on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Fixed Download Link

Hani
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: SMW expanded GFX-pack v1.0

Postby Hani » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:59 pm

I've been waiting for so long. It looks epic and now i'm crying. T_T
P.S If you don't know me. It's me, Foxythepirfox! I changed my name..
Last edited by Hani on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:04 pm

The stuff you've handdrawn yourself doesn't match the style of the SMW objects you just expanded/recoloured. This is especially obvious with the hills and the scenery of the castle and ghost house tilesets.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:29 pm

@Enjl: Maybe, but it fits pretty decently, I don't think it matters that much.

Sednaiur, you're the man, and I don't nickname other people "the man" that easily. You've earned the respect of the entire community. Give yourself a hug and a cookie, you deserve that and more. Love the chandeliers and the bridge, the latter lacking its 3D-ish effect looks a lot better now imo. Looking forward to more stuff for Lowser's Conquest as well. Thumbs up!

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:32 pm

Yeah the custom hills don't really fit with SMW, though they would go great with SMB3 restyled SMW stuff.

Otherwise this is really great! I've been waiting for this for a while now, and it's great that it's finally out. The castle stairs you made should replace the default ones in the next SMBX update.

I'd suggest making some of the player blocks round - you couldn't before LunaLua, but now that you can use .png graphics, you can.
Last edited by HenryRichard on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Ah. I see it's finally here. Very good job with this. This is incredibly useful.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:41 pm

Wow. We've all been waiting so long for this--and it was worth the wait. So many useful resources that will be so helpful. Your obviously great amount of work is highly appreciated.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

holy sednaiur

Postby Alagirez » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:13 pm

Finally
you released it
Holy Sednaiur
The GFX looks AMAIZING, especially the tree tileset ones and the expanded tileset. I can see that you add more shading in these bushes. I will use this.
<3 <3 <3
Last edited by Alagirez on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:05 am

Well, this is something I've been waiting for a whole year since you announced it. Great to see you finally released this gem :)
The wooden column expanded tileset is something I wanted to do some time ago, but unfortunantely never got around it. It's great to see that you did it!

Great work on the expansion in general ;)

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:27 am

Valtteri already did these
Holy mother of god, this is something that even I have been waiting for. I am definitely getting behind this already. I like the ghost house ones and the castle ones best, and now you can expect to see much more decorative levels thanks to your awesome graphics.

Next up, you should do a Zelda one.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:43 am

This is something odd I discovered while wandering in your pack:
Spoiler: show
This background will look cut in SMBX, as well as this background's recolors.

Also why are Venus Fire Plants's Fireballs SMB3? You could easily replace it with player's SMW fireball. Same goes to the world map lava.
Talking about lava, you probably forgot to add it, as well as some other tilesets, such as the Pipe Cannon, Spike Pillars, final boss tileset. Maybe also Firebar NPC and Berries. But I assume you're going to add these in the next update, right? :)

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:51 am

Natsu wrote:@Enjl: Maybe, but it fits pretty decently, I don't think it matters that much.
I was able to forgive it in the other 3 packs, since the shading style for SMB1, 2 and 3 are pretty similar to Sednaiur's custom sprites (even though they're (the game sprites) sharper and the colours are more defined). SMW's style, however, is so cartoonish, that this actually becomes sort of an issue. I feel like he could've just thrown all those BGOs I've mentioned into the SMB1 pack, after giving them a slight recolour.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:08 am

Linik wrote: Next up, you should do a Zelda one.
-_-
Sednaiur wrote:Well, after a longer period of not being able (and more then two weeks too late for which I greatly apologize) to upload this pack, here it finally is, my fourth and final expanded GFX-pack.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:13 am

Harvey36Dice wrote:
Linik wrote: Next up, you should do a Zelda one.
-_-
Sednaiur wrote:Well, after a longer period of not being able (and more then two weeks too late for which I greatly apologize) to upload this pack, here it finally is, my fourth and final expanded GFX-pack.
Oops, didn't see that. Thanks for pointing out that.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:25 am

Enjl wrote:
Natsu wrote:@Enjl: Maybe, but it fits pretty decently, I don't think it matters that much.
I was able to forgive it in the other 3 packs, since the shading style for SMB1, 2 and 3 are pretty similar to Sednaiur's custom sprites (even though they're (the game sprites) sharper and the colours are more defined). SMW's style, however, is so cartoonish, that this actually becomes sort of an issue. I feel like he could've just thrown all those BGOs I've mentioned into the SMB1 pack, after giving them a slight recolour.
Yeah, I know. I would think the same as you, but the tilesets overall were also re-shaded, so it does match somewhat nicely. And if your problem is with how it looks more detailed and dishonors the game itself for being as it is, cartoonish, well I don't think we'll be seeing a fixed version anytime soon, I personally don't find Sednaiur going over changing the entire pack what could be considered his signature shading. But I'm speaking for somebody else, who knows, he actually might go over all that trouble.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:56 am

As others have already said, some of the BGOs in this pack don't match well the SMW style.
But this pack is really good anyways. I really like the tileset made out from the crushers.

Ethereality
Banned

Postby Ethereality » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:40 am

Looks very interesting, the SMW graphics is great! Good job, Sednaiur!

Eternity
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Eternity » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:23 pm

I've been waiting for this for a while, great to see it's finally out! Definitely using in some way, those are awesome, especially the logs/forest set :)

StrikeForcer
Spike
Spike

Postby StrikeForcer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Natsu wrote:
Enjl wrote:
Yeah, I know. I would think the same as you, but the tilesets overall were also re-shaded, so it does match somewhat nicely. And if your problem is with how it looks more detailed and dishonors the game itself for being as it is, cartoonish, well I don't think we'll be seeing a fixed version anytime soon, I personally don't find Sednaiur going over changing the entire pack what could be considered his signature shading. But I'm speaking for somebody else, who knows, he actually might go over all that trouble.
To be fair, SMW never really had a consistent style to begin with. Take the Blue Hills background and compare it to the rest of the different bgs for example, that background has outlines and the clouds use dithering while the rest of em have smooth outlines and do not use dithering to shade (on the bgs that do have a bit more than just flat shading but the majority do not).

The foreground is more consistent at best.

Hani
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Hani » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Can't believe this is the final one. I wish you can do a NSMBDS , NSMBW , NSMBU pack. ^_^

Return to “Graphics”