SMBX 2.0

Facetious topics from April 1st.
Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

SMBX 2.0

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:41 am

Please read everything in this post thoroughly!

Hello everyone, for the past several(?) months, I've been working on recreating Super Mario Bros. X, utilizing a much stabler code. I was originally planning on naming this "Super Mario Bros. X: Returns", but I'm sticking with the project name of "SMBX 2.0" for the time being.

As with most sequels, remakes, reboots, etc., SMBX 2.0 is full of fun, new, exciting things to toy around with. I'll put up a full list in the spoiler below. Notable changes that you might recognize right away is the new boot-up menu. In previous versions of SMBX, there were only buttons for starting the game, accessing the Level Editor, and exiting it. In SMBX 2.0, it introduces a Level/Episode Manager which let's you manage your levels/episode, an NPC Editor, which allows for you to not only edit already existing NPCs, but also create brand new ones which are saved under the ".npc" extension.

Partial Changelog (Italicized text means that the feature is buggy right now)
Spoiler: show
Entirety
  • Much stabler code
  • Faster loading times
  • Lots of bug fixes (too many to list)
  • Remade start-up menu, now has a Level/Episodes Manager and an NPC Editor
  • Level/Episode Manager, which allows the user to manage their downloaded levels/episodes
  • NPC Editor, which allows the user to not only edit existing NPCs, but also to create brand new ones, which are saved under the ".npc" extension (unknown bug)
  • Added a new "Episodes Mode" to the Editor, which allows the user to piece together separate .wld and .lvl files, making it easier to create SMB1-style episode
  • Battle Mode may be implemented into Episodes
Level Editor
  • Improved debug menu
  • Increased object limit (limit is impossible to reach)
  • Added support for Gravity, which can be toggled on/off and may be set in different "pull" directions
  • Support for up to 50 Custom Music files, each are listed under their own category and may be used in events
  • Custom Sound Effects are now supported, you can access the menu by clicking on the "View" tab (where you find the Layers and Events menus)
  • Several new Blocks and Tiles, Background Objects, Backgrounds, NPC, and Music categories
  • "Level Time Limit", which is found under Level Settings
  • "Water" tab removed, changed to "Special" tab, which includes Quicksand, Water, Gravity, and Pathing options
  • Implementation of NPC Pathing, which can be utilized with Events
  • Added support for up to 4 player spawn points
  • Section Cloning fixed
  • Levels can now be tested with up to 4 players (expect lag!)
  • Added a new "Cannon" warp, which launches the player in a certain direction and speed (has a chance of killing the player on launch)
World Editor
  • Added Custom Music support (finally!)
  • Added several new Tiles, Sceneries, Levels, and Paths
  • Added new music tracks
  • Added World Events and World Layers
  • Added "NPC" tab, which includes moving objects, such as Hammer Bros., Airships, Boats, Drawbridges, etc., which may be toggled as a "path", a "level", or a "scenery"
  • Added more space for more Credits
  • Custom Sound Effects, which you can access by clicking on the "View" tab (where you find the World Layers and World Events menus)
  • Added a Day/Night cycle, that, if paired with a complex Event system, can recreate The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (or can just be an aesthetic feature
Online Mode
  • Completely revamped the system, should be easier to connect to another person
  • Stabilized performance, no more glitches!
  • Online Level Editing: Only the host may save the level, which means that all custom graphics/music/sound effects are now loaded from the host machine
  • Implemented Online World Editing, only the host may save the world, which means that all custom graphics/music/sound effects are now loaded from the host machine
  • Added support for Online Play, where you can now play full episodes with up to 3 of your friends (which means 4 players playing at a time)
  • Better support for tunnel programs such as LogMeIn Hamachi, Tunngle, and many others
  • Implemented a Voice Chat, which utilizes Push-To-Talk (extremely buggy, I would recommend Skype)
Playable Characters
  • Samus Aran has been added, certain power-ups give her unique abilities (Leaf power-up gives her a high-jump ability)
  • Wario has been added, and he can punch things just like Link can stab with his sword, though all power-ups function as normal
  • Waluigi has been added, he can jump a little higher than Luigi, though his run speed is a little slower
  • Simon Belmont has been added, and he functions just the same as he does in Castlevania, power-ups give him certain abilities (such as a fire whip, an ice whip, etc.)
Power-Ups
  • As requested by nearly everyone, Starman has been added
  • Boomerang Suit, which functions just the same as Toad's Hammer Suit
  • Toad's original Hammer Suit now allows him to throw Hammers instead of Boomerangs
  • Bob-omb Suit, which functions just the same as Peach's Hammer Suit
  • Peach's original Hammer Suit now allows her to throw Hammers instead of Heart Bombs
  • A Red Star has been added, which allows the player to fly around, ignoring gravity and water
  • Acid Flower added, which functions just the same as a Fire Flower, only certain blocks can be burned
  • Shy-Guy Mask added, which disguises the player as a Shy-Guy (Red for Mario, Green for Luigi, Blue for Toad, Pink for Peach, Brown for Link, Yellow with a Red Mask for Samus, Yellow for Wario, and Purple for Waluigi (Simon Belmont currently uses Link's Shy-Guy as a placeholder until I find an official color for him, which might be Orange)
  • Added all of the Baby Yoshis
  • Added the Micro Mushroom from New Super Mario Bros. Wii, it shrinks to player down to Micro size, making them die in a single hit, but allowing them to run across water and have more air-time
  • Added the Macro Mushroom from New Super Mario Bros., it causes the player to grow into Macro size for a short period of time, making them invincible, as well as allowing them to destroy everything in their path
  • Begun adding support for custom Power-Ups, though it's extremely buggy right now
Full Game
  • Added support for up to 4 players
  • Added an option to play in Full Screen, Split Screen, or Turn-Based mode
  • Brand new Intro and Outro scenes, the latter may be customized for your episode
  • Added a ton of new Easter Eggs on the main screen
  • Added support for several new Controller options (Joystick, SNES Controller, XBox 360 Controller, Specialized Keyboard, etc.)
Extras
  • Supports the .ogg and .wav formats for music tracks
  • Over a hundred new NPCs added (such as a Walking Toad and several new Shy-Guy variations)
  • Over ten new Boss NPCs (each with their own special Boss-Defeat ending)
You can see the full changelog in the SMBX Folder, I was too lazy to put everything in here right now. :P
Oh course, I couldn't have done it all without the help of the people I would love to credit below!
  • Redigit - Coding/Graphics
  • GARY - Beta Testing
  • Emral - Graphics
  • Valtteri - Beta Testing/Graphics
  • Vinyl Scratch - Beta Testing
  • Joey - Coding
  • Bomber57 - Beta Testing
  • Quill - Beta Testing
Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e6moa4u4b1iiji/SMBX.zip (It's in a .zip file because I can't get an installer up at this time, I will promise one later on though)

I'll throw the Trailer up as soon as it finishes saving to my computer, so stay tuned!

Happy playing!
Last edited by Danny on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: SMBX 2.0

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:50 am

It sounds so awesome... but this is the wrong day for that...

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:57 am

smwforever45 wrote:It sounds so awesome... but this is the wrong day for that...
I realize it's the notorious "April Fools" day, but I'm afraid this was, coincidentally, the only day I could actually release it. I'll put the real download link up in a moment, I just put the joke one up there for shits and giggles, sorry.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:00 am

Yeah I know you can't do any of this but happy April fools Danny

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:10 am

FanofSMBX wrote:Yeah I know you can't do any of this but happy April fools Danny
You do realize that this isn't SMBX 1.3.0.1, right? I worked my ass off for the past several months to bring this to you guys. I spent a long time on this, and just because today was the only day I could release it, doesn't mean it's a fake.

Here's a video I made a long while back during early testing of this. As of current, it's not made in Gamemaker, though it was originally planned to be (current version uses C++ and .NET Framework).

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:20 am

Syndrilevosse wrote:...I'm afraid this was, coincidentally, the only day I could actually release it.
An average year has 365 days... And you're seriously telling me that April 1st is the ONLY day on which you could release this game? There are so many other days. April 2nd, April 3rd, June 21st, August 19th, October 24th, December 7th, June 30th, and so on.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:23 am

smwforever45 wrote:An average year has 365 days... And you're seriously telling me that April 1st is the ONLY day on which you could release this game? There are so many other days. April 2nd, April 3rd, June 21st, August 19th, October 24th, December 7th, June 30th, and so on.
I already discussed this with you on IRC, but I guess I'm going to have to repeat myself.

April 2nd is my father's birthday, and we are going to Maine for 1 to 2 weeks. After that, I plan to spend time with my girlfriend, and away from the computer for a while. I'd rather release it now than have it wait a whole month before it gets feedback. I'd rather have the feedback gather while I'm gone, that way I can work on a possible patch (2.0.1) for any bug fixes.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:26 am

Okay, okay, I do understand that. It's just I'm always very careful about announcements like that on an April 1st. I'm just gonna download it and then I'll know more. I'll edit this post then.

EDIT: Read the changelog.txt inside the SMBX folder and you'll know what this really is. Happy April Fools', everyone.
Last edited by SuperWingedYoshi on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby AirSeus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:33 am

oh my god, i am speechless, someone has acctually made it, well done ;)

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:34 am

OMG! This looks amazing. I'll finally be able to add custom music to my world map!

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:44 am

Congratulations, this is the most awesome joke that I saw in the my SMBX life

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:45 am

I'm not liking how the youtube video doesn't work for me

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:49 am

Emral wrote:I'm not liking how the youtube video doesn't work for me
Which one? The one I posted, or the trailer?
h2643 wrote:Congratulations, this is the most awesome joke that I saw in the my SMBX life
It's not a joke though? This is legitimate SMBX 2.0, I don't see why posting it on April 1st has to change it's authenticity or not.
Last edited by Danny on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 am

Syndrilevosse wrote:
Emral wrote:I'm not liking how the youtube video doesn't work for me
Which one? The one I posted, or the trailer?
the one you spammed all over irc

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:56 am

Emral wrote:the one you spammed all over irc
I posted that earlier as well, but it should work. Here's a direct link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b022rhOABgw

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:58 am

Like I said, for some reason, it doesn't work. Every other youtube video is fine.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:00 am

Emral wrote:Like I said, for some reason, it doesn't work. Every other youtube video is fine.
Strange, because I can see it just fine, as can a few other people.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:10 am

When I'm on my phone the video doesn't play.

BabyWeegee
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby BabyWeegee » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 pm

This is just absolute pure evil. Happy April Fools day, and screw you. :P

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:16 pm

well, uh, i asked Valtteri about this, he said that he doesn't know why his name his there so uh...
fake i suppose

Return to “April Fools Day”